Interesting and honest review of Gen 4 FJR courtesy Revzilla

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4. ES suspension. Thankfully it's an option and not rolled into the price of all models. As a package there may be pieces of the package I want with a baseline suspension though.
Is the "A" still available? Yamaha's site doesn't show it. (Yet?)

I did get a chuckle out of him picking up on the 4.25 qt. oil change though. It really isn't a complaint at all but I have wondered how that came to be.
The "A" is available in Canada (in black) and the ES has two different color options. Not sure why the "A" isn't in the USA. Europe still offers the electronic clutch version too; as least as recently as 2016 (was not discontinued there).

Regarding the oil volume, 4.23 US quarts is almost exactly the same as the 4.0 Litres that the rest of the world uses. (I buy oil in either 4 L or 5 L jugs)

This "review" reminded me of a candidate's "locker room talk" and other fish stories in that it appears to be crafted on the fly to boast of one's virility and conquests. Came away feeling sorry the reviewer doesn't enjoy life or the opportunity to ride. Seemed to have a lot of deliberate "appear to be saying something without actually saying anything". To seem to be saying what the reader wants to read but without saying it. Trying to play both sides at the same time in the mistaken belief this is neutrality.

I've never seen a police department using Toyota Avalon's. That comment alone shows he hasn't understood the bike.
BUT, many of them use Dodge Chargers, and those are pieces of shit. Lol...Only Europeans use FJRs as police bikes, and they do not use Chargers as police cars. Lol...Maybe they got something right for once. :) :no: ?

I'll take the "boring" of my FJR over the "character" (What will fail next?) of the 2007 BMW K1200GT I just sold any time.
smile.png
I'll just have to second that. I haven't missed my top heavy '04 R1150RT one bit. People that don't have a clue think the FJR is a top heavy girl (no pun meant) but that's subjective. I can't honestly find one single thing to dislike about my 2010 not one! Even the tupperware removal doesn't bother me. Maybe that's just because I don't have to do it often not like with my RT as in all the time!

It was a decent review. Different strokes for different folks. I did fall in love with my 07 hence the reason for my 14. Its the best touring bike out here that you can hit the twisties on when the slab gets boring. I did agree with the 6th gear and head lights but thats technology and progression. Like my 2014, was the cruise necessary? No, but I love the hell out of it.

And the first gen concourse..... come on..... thats the ugliest bike kawasaki had on the line up.

Damn, he nailed me good! I own an 09 FJR and I am a former owner of an 05 Avalon. Guess what? I loved that car as it gave me great bang for my buck with low maintenance, great looks (IMO) and a spacious interior that can only be matched by premium sedans that cost way too much for my budget. That's exactly what I get out of my FJR. It's fun to ride, looks great, all the power I can ask for and can haul all my stuff and my wife without complaint. The most expensive mod I've done with it was upgrade the suspension to a Traxion AS20 front end and Penske rear with remote reservoir. The bike handles like a dream on the interstate or backroads and I'm right there with my buddies that ride sport bikes; most of the time it leaves them scratching their heads because they can't believe it's a sport tourer. In total, it's the best bike I've ever owned and I will hold onto it until Yamaha completely redesigns it with something that really blows my mind. RevZilla should stick to accessory reviews!

I agree with some of his comments. Like the author, i feel the levers aren't close enough, the es suspension doesn't get firm enough, the torque makes a five speed perfect and saves work, the tour engine mode feels too vague (opinions only). But those are nothing compared to the positives. The FJR us my hands-down favorite bike of 44 years of bikes. I freaking love it. Top heavy? Compared to what? I also had a 2003 Concours 1000; that was a good bike, but it was fugly and Lord of the Top Heavy. And I don't know what brand of large helmets he has, but all my extra large helmets fit fine in the side cases of '06 and '14 (upright and face forward), unless they shrunk the bags in 2016. And he missed the excellent cruise control. Best of all the style of a 2003 looks as fresh as new 2017. What other bike has styling that timeless?

It's common to hear BMW owners refer to Yamaha, or Japanese bikes, as camry's. There's some level of truth to it... When I read the motorcycle rag reviewers view of a certain bike, I often think they are so jaded from riding different bikes, they don't really engage with any bike. Of course some appear to lust only for squid nirvana. Laying on a bike with their ass up, on their belly, in full leathers is the only way some of the moto literati are ever going to be happy. But I don't want to paint with a brush overly broad.

I don't care whether they have 5 or 6 gears. Don't care whether they have a slipper clutch. I think adaptive lighting is kind of cool. I have a lot of helmets. None of them will fit in a side case, regardless of how they are oriented. I like the side cases, but I'd like them a lot better if they were a little taller or longer, or not as much of a <> shape at each end. But I'd like them if they were square and top-opening too, so I'm not to be listened to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen a police department using Toyota Avalon's. That comment alone shows he hasn't understood the bike.
BUT, many of them use Dodge Chargers, and those are pieces of shit. Lol...Only Europeans use FJRs as police bikes, and they do not use Chargers as police cars. Lol...Maybe they got something right for once.
smile.png
no.gif
?

allrighty then...meet me and my SRT at 12th and Vine....bring your money [and your Feej if you want to stay ahead]
grrr.gif

So wait... Why does anyone care what this guy thinks? Is he someone important? I've never heard of him before. He sure likes to hear himself talk.

Or maybe he is paying for everyone else's new bike?
unsure.png
That must be it.

Who says the 2017 is Gen 4? I haven't seen enough changes to call it anything other than a Gen 3. Did I miss the memo? By the way, they corrected the headline that it was a 2017, along with some other mistakes in the article. It now says it's a review of a 2016.

Europhuzz often use Mercedes for cop cars....sweet ride... oh wait...Chargers are built on E Class platforms...not that I'm biased or anything...and yeah, a FJR can smoke a Hellcat...

All reviews need to be taken with a full shaker of salt. I think the reviews would be much better if they were done by people who ride that class of bike when they're not doing a review. A person who rides a Touring bike when they're not doing a review really needs to stick to reviewing Touring bikes, Sport Touring rider only write reviews on Sport Touring bikes, etc. Until that happens, what means the most to me in the article are the differences/updates from the previous years and are they enough to get me to open up my wallet.