International Distance Converter Missing on Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a somewhat related note, I was once considering the purchase of a Gen III bike from up north of the border. I was told the bikes up there DO NOT have the ability to switch from KM's to miles. True? The purchase plan fell through but that would have been a bummer.
This is true. When I first got my MY14 I actually called Yamaha to inquire why I could not switch to mph when planning to ride in US. I was told this was not enabled. Blah Blah Blah. Stupid on Yamaha's part.

That is just dumb. Why would Canadian riders not venture to the USA, when they believe USA riders would venture North of the border?
I think you got that wrong. Venturing north of the border is NOT why US bike have the ability. Mammy Yammy still believes the US will eventually come into the 21st and go metric.

BTW Canadians don't seem to be all in on the metric system. They refer to the size of homes and buildings in square feet, and describe themselves as being x feet x inches tall and weighing x pounds. If I'm wrong on that I'm sure someone will straighten me out. I've also purchased plenty of pints of beer in pubs up there
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, height is feet and inches and my weight is in pounds. Just about everything else is metric. A "pint" of beer isn't usually a pint (imperial or US) in either place! Imperial is 20 oz, US is 16 oz and the ones they sell are only 12 oz.

Spud, you just need to stop hanging out with us old guys. I went to school while the conversion to SI was taking place, so I am pretty bilingual. My kids don't know feet, pounds or pints - it's all meters, grams and liters.

I hate getting a 12oz pint! WTF! The worst part is that it's not consistent - the pub near my office has a 16oz pint while another pub about 1km (0.621 miles, so you don't have to pull out the converter) away has 12oz pints. I don't know of anyone who sells a 20oz pint anymore, even though that is the legal definition of "a pint" in Canada.

Why would a Pint be 20oz? What happened to, "A Pint is a pound the world 'round?" That would mean 16oz. Unless it's some stupid beer thing, cuz then it would almost make sense. A 12oz pint would piss me off.

When in Canada with my Gen 3 I change odometer and speedometer to kilometers including my GPS and use maps having kilometers. Works fine for my without a lot of mental gymnastics.
rolleyes.gif

To look at it another way:

An imperial gallon is 160 fl oz, so a pint is 1/8 gallon or 20 fl oz.

A US gallon is 128 fl oz, so 1/8 of a gallon is 16 fl oz.

Further complicated by the fact that an imperial ounce differs from a US ounce. 28.4 ml vs 29.57 ml. About 4% difference in the ounce and 128 ounces vs 160 ounces per gallon.

Can anyone explain why we don't all use a common and sensible system of measures?

Can anyone explain why we don't all use a common and sensible system of measures?
Yes:

This difference dates back to 1824, when the British Weights and Measures Act standardised various liquid measures throughout the British Empire, while the United States continued to use the earlier English measures. The imperial pint consists of 20 imperial fluid ounces and the US liquid pint is 16 US fluid ounces, making the imperial fluid ounce about 4% smaller than the US fluid ounce.

This difference dates back to 1824, when the British Weights and Measures Act standardised various liquid measures throughout the British Empire, while the United States continued to use the earlier English measures. The imperial pint consists of 20 imperial fluid ounces and the US liquid pint is 16 US fluid ounces, making the imperial fluid ounce about 4% smaller than the US fluid ounce.
I don't think this is correct....the imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon, based on the same oz...and 20/16 is not 1.04, it's 1.25. The 4% comes from a different difference as Ross explains above.

A pint of pure water weighs a pound and a quarter.

We measure distance in miles, but on motorways the countdown signs to motorway exits are at 100 metre intervals, and there are marker posts every kilometre.

At the supermarket where I buy my food, we buy milk in multples of 0.568 litres. Coincidentally, one imperial pint exactly equals 0.568 litres.

Beer is sold in pints, wine and spirits in units measured in millilitres.

Petrol is sold in litres, but fuel consumption is always measured in miles per gallon.

Newborn babies are weighed in kilograms in hospitals, the weight then reported to the parents in pounds and ounces. (We measure our own weight in stones and pounds - one stone is 14 pounds, I weigh about 10 stone 7 - that's 147 pounds for the mathematically challenged.)

And our FJRs can be set to miles or kilometres. If the latter, for the reported fuel consumption, we can choose miles per litre or litres per 100 kilometres.

We survive in spite of all of this.

Last edited by a moderator: