Is Cruise Control Consistent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my '14ES for almost three years and 45k miles later I still use my cruise daily. I find it holds very well, +/- 1 mph all the time except when a step up or down hill begins. Then it may increase or decrease up to 3mph. As for speedo accuracy, unlike the Gen1&2 bikes, it is 1-2 mph over the gps indicated. This variation changes as the rear tire wears. It starts at 1 mph overstated then goes to 2 mph during the second half to last third of tread life.

I thought about aftermarket but there isn't many positive reviews, mostly negative. As to the 2013, if the speedo is anything like my other Yamaha's 80 really means 76 or 77. They seem like their always off 3 or 4 mph. I use a throttle lock now but that can fluctuate 15 to 20 mph. Helps in Florida though.
I installed the Rostra Universal Cruise Control on my 10 FJR and have been very very happy with it. Here is my write up.

https://www.fjrforum....+rostra +cruise

It worked well right out of the box. I was very methodical about it, all of the wiring connections are soldered. I worked through a few iterations of throttle cable tie in, until I found a setup that made me happy.

I sourced the parts independently because of budget and option availability.

I have about 8K miles on it so far. Very Happy. I highly recommend the Rostra.

Here's an installation write-up for an AE.https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/140815-another-ccs100-cruise-control-on-the-fjr1300as-ae/?do=findComment&comment=897193mcatrophy gives a good write-up and some good links. I think some of his photo links are not currently live but I'm sure he would get you the info if you PM. Lots of other useful posts on the forum as well.
At the moment my web site is temporarily in need of some TLC, unfortunately my IT expert is some 4200 miles from home, not due back until the weekend, and it will probably be a few days after that before things are sorted. However, I've put some stuff on a temporary web site where you can find my Audiovox installation pictures.
(For the record, the temporary site also has my clutch soak pictures and my Gen 3 fairing removal.)
Another bookmark added. For the record, Mcatrophy's how-to's are always super helpful. Wish I had one for everything I ever start. Thanks, Mac.

I have a McCruise cruise control on my 2008 and it works perfectly. It came with a complete set of installation instruction including lots of pictures. It's designed for motorcycles, it's 100% waterproof, it is easy to install, completely plug and play, and if you have problems, the owner of the company will call you up and help you troubleshoot the problem.

Mine reads rock solid according to the speedo. Plus or minus one. Haven't checked it against gps.

The cruise control on my '13 is the best cruise control I've ever had on anything, period. And I'm including cars. I set it and let go. If I speed up temporarily I can just release the throttle, and it'll drop back to the set speed very smoothly. And if I hit resume it'll go back to the set speed very smoothly. I couldn't ask for any better.

FWIW, I've got arthritis in my right hand, and I'll set cruise even on day rides on two-lane highways. it holds a very steady speed going through corners, uphill, downhill, whatever. I'm very pleased.

With the digital speedo, it may vary 1 mph, but I can't feel it. Since the speed is indicated to the nearest MPH, I suspect it's really not varying a full mile per hour and it's just wandering enough for it to round to 1 mph difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride in cruise a LOT, using the Gen 3 factory cruise. My bike varies from the set speed by no more than 1 mph, and it almost never varies.

I just returned from a 1400 mile trip and the CC works perfectly. Never used it in the mountains on winding roads, but on the superslab it works great. I never exceeded 75mph and it held it very consistently.

I didn't miss it on my last bike. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit to all the stuff you can do and handle simply because you have cruise. It is a game changer if you ride a lot.

Never used it in the mountains on winding roads, but on the superslab it works great.
I never had cruise on a motorcycle until I bought my 2016 FJR. It's actually kind of fun using cruise in high speed sweepers. It showed me how much I slowed down in the turns. With the cruise on holding constant speed I really had to concentrate.

AdamK posted: I never had cruise on a motorcycle until I bought my 2016 FJR. It's actually kind of fun using cruise in high speed sweepers. It showed me how much I slowed down in the turns. With the cruise on holding constant speed I really had to concentrate.
It's also a lot of fun to ride through the close-to-downtown suburbs with the cruise set. There are a lot of long stretches of streets in the old suburbs of Atlanta -- from the age before gated communities. With bad pavement, off-camber curves, blind driveways, and pedestrians, it's a serious challenge to ride for 2 or 3 miles (or sometimes farther) at 40 or 42 mph.

I have a 2013 Fjr and the cruise on it works great. Very little wandering off the speed you set. Much better cruise then my 2007 Venture. I bought the 13 because of the great deal I got. 80 is plenty fast for us old guys. My Venture is also limited to 80 mph. Both bikes are great.

I have a 2013 Fjr and the cruise on it works great. Very little wandering off the speed you set. Much better cruise then my 2007 Venture. I bought the 13 because of the great deal I got. 80 is plenty fast for us old guys. My Venture is also limited to 80 mph. Both bikes are great.
Speak for yourself ;)

Just back from a 2200 mile loop through Arizona, Utah and Nevada. We both used cruise a lot on the trip. When it works, it's almost dead on. It seems to go +1 mph on up slopes, -1 mph on down slopes. That seems counter-intuitive. That said, we've both had problems where the CC kicks out for no apparent reason. When this happens, it will repeat a few times a minute. That is, hit resume, you're back up to speed for 15 - 20 seconds, then it kicks out again. Turn it off, then back on, and it's fine for hours.

As noted above, keeping it on around sweepers improves your riding. The only problem now is that, if I turn it off for the curve, I come out faster than before I went in!

Just back from a 2200 mile loop through Arizona, Utah and Nevada. We both used cruise a lot on the trip. When it works, it's almost dead on. It seems to go +1 mph on up slopes, -1 mph on down slopes. That seems counter-intuitive. That said, we've both had problems where the CC kicks out for no apparent reason. When this happens, it will repeat a few times a minute. That is, hit resume, you're back up to speed for 15 - 20 seconds, then it kicks out again. Turn it off, then back on, and it's fine for hours.
As noted above, keeping it on around sweepers improves your riding. The only problem now is that, if I turn it off for the curve, I come out faster than before I went in!
Maybe check your brake light switches.