Is it Me, or Bags Difficult To Latch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, boy.....I've seen some whiney gash crying in my life before but them fjr owners take the cake.

I found the bars that comes out and do the actual latching were too long on my bike. I carefully removed a little off the top of the bars with a sanding drum on my rotating tool. They now close with a reassuring click. Prior to the adjustment I was in fear of snapping something in the latching mechanism.

Oh, boy.....I've seen some whiney gash crying in my life before but them fjr owners take the cake.
Never visited a Gold Wing forum have ya?..However most of what I've read thus-far is pretty legit.

No ass whining aboot non issues.Guess that happens with older platforms.

The problem with the latches on mine is that one bag is a real B to open or close. The other bag works fine. Getting ready to head out on a long trip tomorrow and almost broke the latch even while compressing the bag while pulling up on the latch. Even with the bag open, the latch handle is EXTREMELY stiff. I lubed everywhere I could reach and it is still extremely stiff. I can see getting to the hotel and not being able to get the bag open or even breaking the latch. This one bag has been a problem from new and is getting worse rather than better.

The problem with the latches on mine is that one bag is a real B to open or close. The other bag works fine. Getting ready to head out on a long trip tomorrow and almost broke the latch even while compressing the bag while pulling up on the latch. Even with the bag open, the latch handle is EXTREMELY stiff. I lubed everywhere I could reach and it is still extremely stiff. I can see getting to the hotel and not being able to get the bag open or even breaking the latch. This one bag has been a problem from new and is getting worse rather than better.
Make sure that the rubber seal is intact and properly placed - anything that gets in the way of the seal will make it very difficult to operate the latch. Did you lube where the metal hooks from the lid go into the bag? Does the gasket/seal seem to be different on the difficult bag compared to the good one? Check that nothing is interfering with the hinges.

If the lid on the bag is open, is the latch mechanism easy to operate? This will tell you if there is just too much resistance due to the seal, mis-alignment of the hooks or a bag that just isn't "right" for some reason. You may be able to pick up a rashed bag cheap somewhere and transfer your outer shell and lock from the one that doesn't work properly.

If you have YES coverage - a warranty claim? I had the very same experience, and Yamaha replaced the bag.
-Steve

Hey, sapest, did you ever find out why the bag wasn't closing properly? Bent hinge or latching tabs?

My bike started life as a demo, and dealer speculates that someone forced a closing that skipped or broke a tooth on the gear mechanism. I was lucky, when bike went in for service, they couldnt open the bag I had been complaining about.

Dealer informs the keyed lever moves a toothed bar up and down that runs a half moon shaped gear (like car window winder). The top of the bar is what pops out the top of the bag. (When you use the handle to remove the bag) The half moon gear moves the plastic parts that open and close the inner latches.

Force the lever and the toothed bar will skip or break a tooth.

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the original Bag Bitcher who stated this post. I left the FJR for a while, and had three other bikes, and loved them all, but just yesterday I bought me another FJR, this one a 10K mile garage queen from 2006, and guess what, the bags still suck, lol. 

Never had an issue with them mechanically, with them not latching or threatening to fall off in nearly 300,000 FJR miles.  100% waterproof too.

My biggest beef is the one I have with any bags that open to the side - access is difficult.  With the double wall construction, they are not terribly efficient for storage space.  The nicely painted surface looks great but not especially practical when it come to susceptibility to cosmetic damage.

I like how they go on and off the bike and the fact that the bike looks great with or without the bags in place.

I use a cheap-o lithium spray lube down into the latch tang, the thing that pops up to attach to the bike.  Make a significant difference. Plus a little spritz now & then on handle & lid lock moving parts.  Once every 2 or 3 yrs when they start getting a little stiff.

My take is that lithium grease is too thick for blind application (that you can't easily disassemble - like the latches or the ignition). I use a spray silicon lube. The carrier liquid evaporates and leaves behind a dry lube that collect dust less so than WD40 or LG.

I have had 13 different FJRs over the years and not all sidebags are created equal.  Some have latched very easily, and some have been a PITA to get the latch down far enough to engage the lock.