Is that all there is?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
37 mpg is not bad for 1/3 city 2/3 freeway. I think you'll find that if you get on the highway for a long drive, you will see 40+mpg. My 08 accelerates just fine, but I get on the vmax for my straight line arm stretching jollies.

GP

Have loved my '05 from day 1. I had a '97 XX when I bought the FJR, and a year later, I bought a '03 XX to farkle the hell out of and sold the '97. I'm about to sell the '03 XX, since it seldom gets ridden anymore. Fact is that I just prefer the more than adequate power of my FJR (have full Muzzy system and PowerComander + aftermarket suspension and fork brace as only "performance" farkles) because it's just better for the kind of riding I do most. Both XXs are/were substantially faster (lighter and '03 has Micron full system and PowerCommander), but I never expected the heavier and lower powered FJR to be as fast (or as nimble with the nearly $3000 in aftermarket wheels and suspension as are on the XX).

I can get performance awards easily enough on both. But the FJR won't do 173 and still be pulling hard like the XX at sea level (corrected with Speedo Healer on XX). Works fine for me, though.

YMMV

Thanks for all the replies. I may have given the wrong impression about my bikes performance. I'm not looking for a super fast bike, I just want to make sure that all is well with the bike, I had read posts where riders thought it was time to change plugs, air filter and do a TBS if they weren't able to lift the front end or do a good burnout. I have been trying to smooth out the idle and diminish some surging issues, that is why I am asking about performance, the Barbarian mod and the Comp. UA TBS.

im 6 foot 2 and 250 lbs of pure sculpted relaxed muscle and my 2010 pulls the front wheel all the way through first scary like through 2nd leaving the front end weightless through 3rd and part of fourth
Your bodily dimensions raise the center of gravity (and probably further back) more than the average person, which would allow you to wheelie more easily. Add a passenger on the back and see how easily it wheelies :) .

Thoughts on the Barvarian mod and UA TBS?
those all deal with increased smoothness (not more power).

another thread seems to touch on what may be your issue. the smooth delivery of linear power across the entire range of RPM.

it's not like some of the high-strung sport bikes that have to be wrung out to enjoy them. if you want a comparison of strengths, take that ninjer on a nice, 600 mile day trip. then take the FJR on the same trip.

as for wheelies and burn outs: they don't happen by accident on the FJR. you can do them with a little forethought but it won't happen unless you want it to. it's strength is getting between speed 1 and speed 1+x with little lag or drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a ZX14 and an FJR. I put 10:1 more miles on the FJR. I like doing 500 mile days with twisties and highway.

I don't think you're going to see noticeable power gains based on any mods that you'll find on this forum. I've never seen anyone put a turbo or nitrous on the FJR, but that's probably the only way your butt dyno is going to feel a difference.

I've done the k&n filter, iridium plugs, TBS, and even lost 20 pounds by exercising. With maybe a very small increase in horsepower the bike pulls as strong on day one as it does 18k miles later. I considered a ZX14 when I was looking. When the sales guy helping you is 15 years younger and he himself rides a crotch rocket tells you that you have no idea what pain is like until you come back from a 1-3 hour run on Ninja, then it really helps you realize you really want an FJR for the best of many worlds.

If it makes you feel better I get 45-53 here in Denver if I don't goose it. B)

OP said the bike is one month old (at the time of posting). Could it be that it simply isn't broken in? Perhaps over the next few thousand miles the bike will hit its stride.

How did I miss this one? I guess I'm getting picky in my old age.

FJR's stink! I can't stand them! I'll take your 2009 for $1K and then I'll run it over with my truck.

Do you know of another Sport Touring bike that delivers better mileage and performance? The FeeJ may not be the best, but it's not far off from others in its class.

BTW - I drive hwy miles mostly, for commuting to work, and I get about 40mpg. With my larger wind screen I get about 38mpg. On the twisties on slower roads I have got as high as 54 mpg. It's rather strange that on modulating the throttle but at lower speeds I get far better mileage than at contestant hwy speeds.

Good luck in your venture for what ever you're looking for in your motorcycles.

My 06 FJR AE is gone, so I've got no dog in the fight.... but I have to say that mine would pull my arms out of my sockets. It was far stronger than any of the ST type bikes I've owned, with the exception of the BMW K1200Rsport.... and I've owned a lot of them, being a fickle owner who rarely keeps anything more than a year or two. Mine would get 38 mpg if I were whipping it, and as much as 46 mpg if I were treating it kindly.

The K1200Rsport made the FJR feel like an old CB750... (I worked in a Honda dealership when these came out, and I remember them well). But all in all, the FJR pleased me far more than any other bike from the ST genre. Maybe yours isn't ready for prime time.

Thanks in advance for offering suggestions to improve the performance of my FJR.
Only 1 suggestion. Upgrade to a Gen 1. :lol:
+1000

I rev my '04 to 8k and drop the clutch...she will get some air

and your mileage will increase with age like to 20k...things loosen up nicely with age

suggestions: buy a R1, Hayabusa, or ZX14

the Feej is a Sport/Tourer or to some a Tourer/Sport bike

it definitely is not a crotch rocket ship

Thanks in advance for offering suggestions to improve the performance of my FJR.
Only 1 suggestion. Upgrade to a Gen 1. :lol:
+1000

I rev my '04 to 8k and drop the clutch...she will get some air
Uh.....yup!

[SIZE=8pt]Playing on a back road on the way home this afternoon, 8K in 1st, shift to second and lift the front wheel.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Signed: Gen I Gathering: Show and Shine Contest Coordinator. Per RJ his-own-bad-seff.[/SIZE]

Thanks for all the replies. I may have given the wrong impression about my bikes performance. I'm not looking for a super fast bike, I just want to make sure that all is well with the bike, I had read posts where riders thought it was time to change plugs, air filter and do a TBS if they weren't able to lift the front end or do a good burnout. I have been trying to smooth out the idle and diminish some surging issues, that is why I am asking about performance, the Barbarian mod and the Comp. UA TBS.
Well, now your original post makes more sense. Sometimes the hype is a little much, as you can obviously tell. I found this place AFTER I got my FJR, so I was perfectly happy with it. Then, I started reading how people are doing wheelies at 120mph in 5th gear whle I can barely get my front wheel to come up in first. I started to wonder if something was amiss with my bike. Things changed when I went to Tennesse the first time and the elevation dropped a couple thousand feet. While getting on a freeway there, I lifted the front wheel about 2 feet off the ground without thinking about it.

It could be a lot of things, like weight, riding position, elevation, how much fuel is in the tank etc...One thing I have noticed with other FJRs is that none of them have really out-run me, leaving me feel like my bike is missing something. It fires up every time I hit the start button and does everything I need it to do. Don't believe all they hype and concentrate on enjoying your bike. Maybe you'll be happier...If not, trade it out for something that can suck your eyeballs out. They are all over the place, just not usually very comfortable for more than a couple hundred miles.

Finally got to see what my month old 2009 can do today and have to admit that I was a bit disappointed. I went about 80 miles on back roads with twisties and some good straight sections. I tried for a little lift in 1st gear and got nothing as I pushed toward 7-8K rpm. I never felt that rapid acceleration through the gears at high rpm was something that I had to hold on for dear life. When I got the bike I changed the plugs and did a TBS with my morgan carbtune. I have tried to be a good boy and see what the best mpg I could get, only about 37mpg with about 1/3f city and 2/3 freeway riding. Am I expecting to much or is there more performance to squeeze out of the bike. I have done a lot of reading on the Barbarian Mod and the Completely Unauthorized TBS and wonder if I should do either or both of these procedures. I am upgrading from an 82 Honda CB750F which I felt had pretty good get up and go, especially in the 7-8K rpm range. I do recognize there is a difference in weight and smoothness between the two bikes. Thanks in advance for offering suggestions to improve the performance of my FJR.
Sounds about right - right in line with my experience, after getting off a 2000 VFR800. The VFR was more responsive and smoother, but the FJR had a little more top-end punch.

I bought the FJR anyway, for it's ergo's, weather protection and price. At the time, it was a choice between new '08 C14's or ST1300's, in which case the FJR is a clear winner.
I agree, coming off a 1999 VFR800...smooth as silk! The FJR's weather protection and ergo's are what sold me. I test rode a Gen I and Gen II before I ever read anything on this forum. I thought it was all in my mind at that time, but it's true, the Gen I's are quicker. (Not that it really matters)

I am sooo looking forward to the upcoming Gen1 gathering

..if nothing else to get away from all the Gen2 sniveling

The Gen2 is slow and fat

-but you knew that when you bought it -or certainly should have, it ain't like it's a secret.

....So deal with it and quit all the bellyaching.

The trick will be keeping the date and location a secret from all those feisty 2nd genners. We wouldn't want them crashing our superior party... :eek:

The trick will be keeping the date and location a secret from all those feisty 2nd genners. We wouldn't want them crashing our superior party... :eek:
Sounds like it ought to be located next to a dragstrip...so the Gen Is and Gen IIs can battle it out. ;)

I suggest Lowden State Park in Oregon, IL...with the Byron Dragstrip only a couple miles away. Both are along the Rock River, south and west of Rockford, IL...home of the famous TriggerT.

:lol: