Is this a bad thing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Can you guess what this is from?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I was going to guess BMW...and would have been kinda close since many BMWs sound like farm implements while underway.

I see the unit is sporting the new 4 piece needle bearing cage design that's all the rage in Europe! Rumor is the new FJR 1400 is going integrate this technology. ;)

If people think the FJR has a lot of gear noise now, wait till you hear the new 1400 with the straight cut gears in the rear drive. Sweet!

Call BMW stat........ :lol: :fans: ......who will in turn disavow any possibility of that happening..... :blinksmiley: :headbonk:

The 870 is one of the smaller JD tractors, I don't know if they even make that model anymore. Even so with a front end loader those front drive gear assemblies really catch hell. If the BMW gears were failing under that kind of strain, it would be understandable.

The 870 is one of the smaller JD tractors, I don't know if they even make that model anymore. Even so with a front end loader those front drive gear assemblies really catch hell. If the BMW gears were failing under that kind of strain, it would be understandable.
Yes. The 870, 970, 1070 all used the same chassis with different engine displacement. I didn't have alot of cash, so I got the smallest HP, 28, in the largest chassis so I could offset the tires (more load) then water fill them, (even more load) then load that bucket up with wet dirt and transverse uneven terrain (I live in hill country).
The tractor is still worth 10k on the used market, it was 17k new. I'll spend the 500 USD to get it going again, then make an Excel SS with hours listed - then inspect every 200 hours or so. It's just a weak link. Like BMW final drives, FJR Gen2 spiders, FJR Gen1 ugly-assed riders, and so on! :huh: :lol:

Even a small 4wd tractor with a front end loader can do monstrous things. I bought a 33 horse 4wd Massey Fergusson after Hurricane Gustav put an oak tree through my house. I harvested as many hurricane downed oak trees as I could to panel the inside of the new house. I worked that poor tractor to death in the first 200 hours of its life. Both of the front axle seals at the front hubs leaked and were repaired under warranty. If you use them, things happen to them. Why spend the $$ to let it collect dust in the shed? Nothing is more useful than a good compact tractor with 4wd and front end loader.