Issue with Headlights?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
After three and a half seasons one of my low beam headlights went, I noticed it when I got home one day. Then next morning I go out and the low beam on the other is out. Checked high beam and they are fine. The following day I replace both with sylvania ZXEs and that was about three weeks ago. Today when I get home I have a what the moment, I now have another low beam out.
angry01.gif
Is this an indication of an electrical problem someplace??

Yeah it could be a bad bulb but wanted to throw this question out there to see if anyone else has had this happen.

In my opinion it's just a case of shit happens!

Just to be on the safe side you might want to put a voltmeter on your battery just to make sure the voltage is normal. Something like 13 to 14.2 volts from idle to higher RPM............

I would check the running voltage. My '09 has 96,000+ miles and I still haven't changed a headlight bulb. (Knock on wood)

Thanks guys!! If I am reading my meter right it looks to be a pinch above 13 at idle and real close to 14 at 3K RPM. I did buy those bulbs at Walmart because they were the closest ones who had them. What are the possibilities that those bulbs were manufactured during a third shift where quality control isn't as tight and that's how they get the cheaper prices? Is there some place out there that sell quality bulbs??

These so-called premium (high-output) bulbs have a MUCH shorter lifespan than standard halogens. Maybe as little as 100 hours. Probably worse if you are riding rougher roads - they don't like excess vibration. While I like brighter lights, I usually just stick with standard halogens. Unless you have ridden a LOT in the last three weeks, I doubt that you have 100+ hours on them so you might just have gotten a bad one.

Thanks guys!! If I am reading my meter right it looks to be a pinch above 13 at idle and real close to 14 at 3K RPM. I did buy those bulbs at Walmart because they were the closest ones who had them. What are the possibilities that those bulbs were manufactured during a third shift where quality control isn't as tight and that's how they get the cheaper prices? Is there some place out there that sell quality bulbs??
Hey! I work third shift and I resemble, er, resent that!
lazy.gif

If the standard light output if fine for you (color, lumens) then here ya go:

https://store.candlepower.com/rose12v60h4h.html

...I replace both with sylvania ZXEs and that was about three weeks ago. Today when I get home I have a what the moment, I now have another low beam out... Is this an indication of an electrical problem someplace...
Burn bright, die fast. It could be that you did get a bad bulb. The back of the package says something about 12 month satisfaction guarantee. So, do ya feel sat-es-fied?

The electrical system is in the range of good up to 15.5 volts but I would consider 15 volts to be an upper limit for normal. Losing one headlight slightly increases the voltage to the remaining headlight contributing to that one having a slightly shorter life.

These days if someone wants extra light just add LED floods or spots. Plus, you can lose a headlight and still see. The LEDs fill in on low beam when run ~30% and pretty much take over when flipping to high beams and 100% LED output. There are some good brands of LEDs which are cheap inexpensive and offer exceptional life expectancy. I'm running modest 2000 lumen/22 watt (ea) flood LEDs and they totally outshine the headlights and offer some additional conspicuousness.

These so-called premium (high-output) bulbs have a MUCH shorter lifespan than standard halogens. Maybe as little as 100 hours. Probably worse if you are riding rougher roads - they don't like excess vibration. While I like brighter lights, I usually just stick with standard halogens. Unless you have ridden a LOT in the last three weeks, I doubt that you have 100+ hours on them so you might just have gotten a bad one.
Funny you mention rough roads, that did cross my mind after I posted last night. I ride everyday I can to work and there is one section (a little under 50ft long) that has gotten really rough this year. Unfortunately I have to ride through it because it's where I have to turn to go home. I've been trying to find a smooth path through but the traffic don't make that very easy, I'll have to try a little harder to fine a smooth path.

Getting skin oils on the bulbs can drastically shorten bulb life..
Had gloves on when installing them but that doesn't mean something didn't get on it during the install with all that room they give us. Thought about hiring my neighbor's five year old when I replaced them.

...I replace both with sylvania ZXEs and that was about three weeks ago. Today when I get home I have a what the moment, I now have another low beam out... Is this an indication of an electrical problem someplace...
Burn bright, die fast. It could be that you did get a bad bulb. The back of the package says something about 12 month satisfaction guarantee. So, do ya feel sat-es-fied?

The electrical system is in the range of good up to 15.5 volts but I would consider 15 volts to be an upper limit for normal. Losing one headlight slightly increases the voltage to the remaining headlight contributing to that one having a slightly shorter life.

These days if someone wants extra light just add LED floods or spots. Plus, you can lose a headlight and still see. The LEDs fill in on low beam when run ~30% and pretty much take over when flipping to high beams and 100% LED output. There are some good brands of LEDs which are cheap inexpensive and offer exceptional life expectancy. I'm running modest 2000 lumen/22 watt (ea) flood LEDs and they totally outshine the headlights and offer some additional conspicuousness.
I'll see what happens with the guarantee.

Earlier this summer I have started thinking about adding LEDs. After this it looks like I'll be adding them to my Christmas List.

Got some good news and some bad news. The good, the light came back on without touching it so I don't have to buy a new bulb. The bad news the light came back on without touching it; and I'm starting to think @#$@#$# I have a short someplace. Removed the black panel (it was the light on the throttle side), got my hand in there, gave the plug a little push and I felt it go in a little. I really had thought I had that plugged in all the way the first time, but you have to go by feel when replacing the lights since you can barely get a hand in there let a lone get a clear view to see that it's on all the way.

I did wiggle the wires attached to the plug and as far as I could along the wire going back and no flickering. Thank you Lord. Trying to chase a short down would have been beyond a headache.

How could it have come back on without touching it? I did remove the panel to get to the battery to test it so a very good possibility I hit a wire with my hand during the removal or replacement of the panel.

Thank you everyone for you suggestions!! And LEDs will be on my Christmas list!!

If you had a short the bulb wouldn't have come back on. In fact, you would have had a bunch of darkness as the lighting fuse poofed.

Lets go with either a contact issue plugging things in or a wire/connector problem. The fans seem to be most prone to wire issues with the wire breaking at the base of the power connector at the relay. If this happened at the headlight relay you would have no lights so that's not in play here. Which brings us back to a contact issue where the headlight connector wasn't fully seated or an issue with the connector plug not in full contact with the headlight terminal. This sometimes happens. You DO want to be sure a poor connection doesn't remain, it will damn sure melt down the headlight bulb connector PDQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had a short the bulb wouldn't have come back on. In fact, you would have had a bunch of darkness as the lighting fuse poofed.
Lets go with either a contact issue plugging things in or a wire/connector problem. The fans seem to be most prone to wire issues with the wire breaking at the base of the power connector at the relay. If this happened at the headlight relay you would have no lights so that's not in play here. Which brings us back to a contact issue where the headlight connector wasn't fully seated or an issue with the connector plug not in full contact with the headlight terminal. This sometimes happens. You DO want to be sure a poor connection doesn't remain, it will damn sure melt down the headlight bulb connector PDQ.
Thank you!! To make sure it's not a contact issue I'll bend the contacts on the bulb out a VERY small amount. Now that I think about it a little more should I bend out or in? Which direction would be best for the best contact?

Thank you!! To make sure it's not a contact issue I'll bend the contacts on the bulb out a VERY small amount. Now that I think about it a little more should I bend out or in? Which direction would be best for the best contact?
Dean, you did snap the retainer clip back in place, on the back side of the bulb...didn't you?

install_bulb.jpg

Dean, you did snap the retainer clip back in place, on the back side of the bulb...didn't you?

install_bulb.jpg
Yes I did. Not that easy to do when you can't see the hook the retaining clip needs attach too.

install_bulb.jpg
Yes I did. Not that easy to do when you can't see the hook the retaining clip needs attach too.
yeah...it is a real PITA

As I've alluded to before, I don't know what kind of giggly primate designed modern motorcycle headlight/bulb assemblies, but I have an appreciation program developed that involves their dome and a half turn of a bench vise handle per day, should I ever find them.