Issues/Thoughts for Used FJR Buyer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benneyb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to pick your collective brains, and ask a few questions, if I may. I'm considering a couple of used 2005 FJR's and am wondering:

- I've heard of the ticking issue - any idea what percentage of bikes suffer from this?

- what kind of mileage have people put on these bikes - that is, how long can one expect the major components to last with reasonable maintenance? Any kind of typical repair issues?

Secondly - any suggestions for sources for helmets, jackets etc, either online or particularly good dealers. I am in NJ.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

I can't speak about the 2005's - since mine is a 2004...

However, as for helmets, jackets, etc - I did have good luck with ironpony.com...

They shipped fast, and had no problem with me exchanging a helmet for a larger one.

Phlash

I think you're missing the biggest issue...and that's dealing with that gawdawful color! haha.gif
You misread his post. He said '05, not '04. Not to hijack the thread-maybe this belongs in tech- but did they paint my side covers silver to slow the bike down a little, or to try to make it look more like a Harley? :dribble:

motorcyclecloseouts.com is also a good source for gear.

Bruce, the FJR fleet has not yet reached a point of "Maturity" relative to Sport Tourers with long distance traits. So, I'd say Reliability is an inconclusive issue at this point.

The view I've taken is, purely subjective mind you, to read the model-specific boards, and divide the number of that model I guess/feel is on the road, into the number of problems I see reported. From that stand point, I feel the FJR is being a very reliable motorcycle - so far.

Perhaps it's partially due to having lived with BMWs for the last five years, but long life of my FJR without failure is not something I pay much attention to now that I have about 50,000 miles on it. Anyway, if it did fail, I have a wonderfully honored warrantee.

Best wishes with your choice.

I get around 43 - 45 mpg on my 05. I've bought my gear and my wife Lorie's from New Enough. Have First Gear Mesh Tex II summer jackets/Mesh pants (summer)/HT Overpants (colder weather)/Oxtar Matrix boots/cold weather insulated - Goretex gloves/Shoei RF-1000 helmets and I like 'em all!

I've got 6,600 miles on the bike and not tick - I will say that it has always sounded like there are loose knives and forks rattling around the top end, but that is more than compensated for by the turbine engine whine it makes when I whack it! Haven't had any mechanical issues so far. Have done the usuall maint items to include changing spark plugs; none are difficult. Great bike and an absolutely beautiful color. :D

I have a 03 with almost 14k on it not a ticker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benney,

Seems to be around 15% of the bikes get the tick.

what kind of mileage have people put on these bikes - that is, how long can one expect the major components to last with reasonable maintenance? Any kind of typical repair issues?
You might try asking this here. Lots of Euro folks who've had the FJR longer than we have.