It's Farkle Season...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShine

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
2015FJR.jpg

New! Improved!
Well after some months of depending on the kindness of strangers to get my motorcycle fix in, the local dealer now has one less of these in stock. It is now officially farkle season! (Sorry, honey!
whistle.gif
)

Ordered the Canyon Cages, but how best to protect the tank finish?

I had been a big fan of the Mag-Night Tank Bra on my '05. The initial appeal was that the install involved no adhesives, and could be easily undone. After 7 years, when I removed it for the first time ever, the underlying tank finish was in like-new condition. It did its job well. (Did learn a "how not to" that caused me to replace it. The rare earth magnet on my bite valve demagnetized the edge of the tank bra after a time!)

But that product required some patience and a good heat gun to install, and was difficult to fit correctly. So I was wondering whether any of you Gen II/III owners out there had any experience with it on your bikes. Were you able to get a good fit / seal?

Other forum postings suggest that the TechSpec Snake Skins are a popular alternative. Any complaints with that product? Do you motoport Kevlar Mesh wearers notice any abrasion in the area between the pads on the sides of the tank and the pad on the back of the tank? How about on that plastic panel that wraps around the bottom of the tank?

Looking for input. Much thanks...

Congrats on the new machine

I've been adding farkles to the 2015..... now to get that bad boy on the road some more....

$1500 worth up upgrades and she's getting close to where I want her so far.....

Oh, and on the ride home from the dealer to beat the incoming storm system, a long stretch of roadway had obviously recently been traveled by a horse(s) drawn cart. I did my best to dodge their after effects, but as I road into my garage, my son said, "Hey! What's that smell?"

I now have a brand new P.O.S. bike from Yamaha!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new '15 Sam!

I'm using Tech Spec tank pads and yes, I have rub marks and abrasion on the tank surround and between the pads. Other than adding a whole bunch more material, I don't see any way around some added personalization. Motoport gear is rough and the areas adjacent to my knees and shins show the most wear.

Have fun farkling your new scoot!

--G

Nice! You can start by updating your profile. All you need to do is add a 1 in front of the 5.

Of course the Galaxy Blue is still faster.

Fine looking machine, sir! The color matches the ATGATT gear on your avatar.

As for anti-scratch stuff, I'm not concerned about that since the Gen3's got such soft paint. But I have asked Santa for some TechSpec Snakeskin to help my thighs grip her tank. Functional reasons, not aesthetic.

I'm probably going to just cover my tank up with a good tank bag. Plastic base ring is already showing wear. If you cover it up long term, the paint is going to show a slightly different color versus the parts that are never covered. It is what it is. What tank bag is it that uses a sleeve over the tank, the bag attaches to that, and the bag flips back to rest on the seat for fueling?

I'm probably going to just cover my tank up with a good tank bag. Plastic base ring is already showing wear. If you cover it up long term, the paint is going to show a slightly different color versus the parts that are never covered. It is what it is. What tank bag is it that uses a sleeve over the tank, the bag attaches to that, and the bag flips back to rest on the seat for fueling?
Here is one.

https://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+products/Luggage+Systems/Tankbags/index.htm

First installed farkle on the new bike. Placed one of these parallel to the brake light circuit:

vizitech.jpg

to drive the LEDs on the license plate frame off of my old bike:

LedFrame.jpg

I'm amazed still amazed at the changes in electronics even in just the past decade. The ViziTech unit, intended to modulate the third brake light in cars, is tiny! And programmable!

An inexpensive means of protecting the paint on the tank and trim around the tank is clear 3M film. You can buy it on Amazon or FleaBay. It comes in various size rolls. I have it on the sides of the tank, on the side panels, and on the upper surface of the side bags. To protect the upper surface of the tank I bought a Suzuki tank pad. It is carbon fibre pattern and does not have any lettering. On the tank trim band I covered with 3M carbon fibre adhesive material. Anyone interested in pics send me a PM with your email address and I will send some photos. Resizing and posting on this forum is a PITA.

Nice ride Sam, I haven't seen a '15 in the flesh but have always loved that color. I solved the tank scratching problem by switching to stretch kelvar riding gear.

First installed farkle on the new bike. Placed one of these parallel to the brake light circuit:
vizitech.jpg

to drive the LEDs on the license plate frame off of my old bike:

LedFrame.jpg

I'm amazed still amazed at the changes in electronics even in just the past decade. The ViziTech unit, intended to modulate the third brake light in cars, is tiny! And programmable!
Cool Sammy, looking into their modulator for my 990.