Ivan's ECU Flash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's go GenII flash...I'm getting impatient. Like that takes much, or like anyone actually cares. Haha...
I understand HotRodZilla is looking for a flash... Anyone?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

George,

Did Ivan ever make any progress on getting rid of the weird idle during warm-up you mentioned?

The FJR is not a power house by any means. It does not have the compression (pistons) or cams to be hi revving so the easiest thing to do is short shift to stay in its power band. The bike is not all that slow and has no problem getting out of its own way so passing people at 100 mph all day long BUT most of the competition will beat it performance wise.

I have a 2015-A and not thinking it will leave me soon so I do like the bike

Not a powerhouse? Huh? Compared to what? 141 HP and 100 lb/ft of torque seems pretty powerful to me. So, what is the more powerful competition youre comparing it to?

The FJR makes those power numbers at right about 7000 rpm, so you might find it more powerful if you quit short shifting it.

I would think shifting in around the 7-8K range would be considered short shifting the FJR1300. Adding another 500 rpm to the red line and shifting at that point is just going to put it on the back side of the torque range with no gain in speed, rather a loss. My 07' FJR1300A was a plenty fast bike, but certainly not the fastest. Getting a finer tune through an ECU flash and fuel mapping can add a few HP, but more importantly improving the low and mid-range torque and smoothing out the throttle response. Just my thoughts.

Not a powerhouse? Huh? Compared to what? 141 HP and 100 lb/ft of torque seems pretty powerful to me. So, what is the more powerful competition youre comparing it to?
The FJR makes those power numbers at right about 7000 rpm, so you might find it more powerful if you quit short shifting it.

Didn't the "short shifting" comment come from the questions about some desire to use/up the rev limiter? Seems using the rev limiter as a shift "light" is bad technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at that old Dyno chart, all 4 bikes are within the margin of error of the test of each other from just off idle to 7000 rpm. No, shifting at 7000 rpm is NOT short shifting. Short shifting is shifting at 3500 rpm, or lower. So, I don’t see a clear powerhouse winner in those plots. Yes, the Kawi and BMW will rev higher and therefore make more horsepower, but their torque, which is what determines acceleration, is just about the same as the FJR. It’s picking nits to say any one of those is more powerful than another, except maybe the Honda, but even that has plenty of power to be exciting

The Dyno chart is always fun to critique... they all perform well.

But the rider makes the biggest difference in these 4 bikes!

OK, not nick picking, your level of short shifting is different from mine, and we are both probably different from other riders. Low and mid torque is great for acceleration, but that doesn't necessarily mean high speed. It may get you to a certain speed faster in time, or may not depending on the distance to travel and the top speed obtained. If I were going for top speed, and that is what I referred to 'speed' I think the wise decision between those four examples in the graph would be the BMW, but that is just me, I'm sure you know about it than I, and I certainly do respect your opinion.

Sport mode, lots of wrist, and shift at 5,000 -5,500 rpm. Repeat until in 5th (or 6th) gear. Report back with your findings about acceleration, engine power, and speed ... if you have managed to stay on the seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shift at 10K from each gear, report back if you can keep up! Now we are having fun with this. I have absolutely no issues with the power and speed performance of any of the FJR1300 gens. I think they are great bikes for what they were designed for, I just don't think they were designed to rev high or high speeds, of course depending on what high rev's and high speeds mean to each different rider and in comparison to other bike options. And, I have run out a 2007 model and didn't find staying on the seat any difficulty. I'm not a fan boy of any brand or model and the FJR is still my third best bike I have ever owned.