Ivan's ECU Flash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2008 has hit 92 MPH in second gear a few times and wouldn't go any further. It started to sputter when it hit 9K and wouldn't go beyound that. My guess is the rev limiter was holding it back. Not a bad thing I guess.

Dave

[img=[URL="https://i.imgur.com/q5vZagt.jpg%5D"]https://i.imgur.com/q5vZagt.jpg][/URL]
Of that group, the FJR is the 2nd fastest, and only marginally. The K1300 will win in a drag race with identical riders. However, the margin is so small that any error or hesitation by the BMW rider would result in that bike losing. The Honda is sort of a pig but only relatively. It is definitely a NOT a pig, but in this group, it is the slowest. The C1400 makes great power, but it is a battleship. What it makes up for in HP, it loses in sheer size and weight. They CANNOT keep up in the corners, and a flat-out acceleration test is neck and neck. The brake fade is also a limiting factor when pushing that bike hard.
For what the FJR is, it is very fast and has plenty of power. Compare it to a cruiser and it is a super-bike. Compare it to a 1000cc or higher crotch rocket, and it might as well not show up. However, I dare most crotch rocket guys to do a single, let alone multiple 1000, or even 500 mile days. Different machine, different purpose.
If'n the high maintenance, fragile, Buy Mor Warranty isn't in the shop! :loser:

Just to add an update about Ivans flash. I had planned all along to sent my ECU to Ivan since last Spring but figured to wait until Winter when my steed sits alone in the garage. I finally decided to pull the ECU and mail and noticed his address had changed to Greenville,SC. Called him to ask about a good time to hand carry my ECU to him as I live about 30 miles from Greenville. I had already pulled mine before he indicated that I could ride down and he would pull it himself for no extra charge. I could have been in and out in about 15 minutes if not for the interesting conversation that we had for much longer. I asked about GenII's and he said there was a guy that was going to bring their bike in but has never showed. Anybody close by that is willing to let him work it for a week and Ivan will have it done. His shop is large and contains numerous personal bikes that are all pristine from 70's vintage to current. Still cold and rainy here so except for a short ride, I can't comment much more than what has been posted prior in this tread than to say it's much smoother and would describe the power band as more linear. The increase in power is not a reason to flash but drivability was totally worth it. From a totally stock FJR to a flashed bike with other than stock pipes and silencers removed, and K&N air filter installed, gains on his graphs show 8-9 hp and increase in torque. I had already had the K&N and Yoshi's installed, so my gains there were negligible. Still, in my opinion, with not much time in the seat the behavior makes the flash a worthwhile investment.

Just to add an update about Ivans flash. I had planned all along to sent my ECU to Ivan since last Spring but figured to wait until Winter when my steed sits alone in the garage. I finally decided to pull the ECU and mail and noticed his address had changed to Greenville,SC. Called him to ask about a good time to hand carry my ECU to him as I live about 30 miles from Greenville. I had already pulled mine before he indicated that I could ride down and he would pull it himself for no extra charge. I could have been in and out in about 15 minutes if not for the interesting conversation that we had for much longer. I asked about GenII's and he said there was a guy that was going to bring their bike in but has never showed. Anybody close by that is willing to let him work it for a week and Ivan will have it done. His shop is large and contains numerous personal bikes that are all pristine from 70's vintage to current. Still cold and rainy here so except for a short ride, I can't comment much more than what has been posted prior in this tread than to say it's much smoother and would describe the power band as more linear. The increase in power is not a reason to flash but drivability was totally worth it. From a totally stock FJR to a flashed bike with other than stock pipes and silencers removed, and K&N air filter installed, gains on his graphs show 8-9 hp and increase in torque. I had already had the K&N and Yoshi's installed, so my gains there were negligible. Still, in my opinion, with not much time in the seat the behavior makes the flash a worthwhile investment.
I've had two bikes flashed by Ivan - my '08 FZ1 (bless her soul) and my '14 Ninja 1000. The FZ1 got more bang for the buck since I went to a full Graves exhaust at the same time, but in both cases I thought the real magic was curing all the fuel injection stumbles off of idle. I've got an idea of what he does (I think he changes ignition advance as well as fueling) but it doesn't really matter - both bikes became much more well behaved and riding enjoyment factor went way up in both cases.

Ivan is highly recommended in my book!

I’m guessing you haven’t updated your FJR profile from a Gen 2 to a 3, or is Ivan flashing 2’s?

I’m guessing you haven’t updated your FJR profile from a Gen 2 to a 3, or is Ivan flashing 2’s?
Good guess, thanks and hopefully fixed that. And I'm guessing you didn't read that Ivan's looking for a Gen 2 to work his magic on?

Just to add an update about Ivans flash. I had planned all along to sent my ECU to Ivan since last Spring but figured to wait until Winter when my steed sits alone in the garage. I finally decided to pull the ECU and mail and noticed his address had changed to Greenville,SC.
Some day my ship'll come in and I'll be sitting at the airport.

Thanks for this info. All last year I kept thinking about running the hour and a half up to Ivan's shop in NY for a ride-in flash but kept blowing it off. Figured I'd incorporate it into a nice full day's ride but somehow it never came together. <sigh>
banghead.gif

@BigOgre - You might want to get that TPS problem you had fixed first (unless you already did and didn’t mention it). An ECU flash won’t fix bad signals from sensors.

@BigOgre - You might want to get that TPS problem you had fixed first (unless you already did and didn’t mention it). An ECU flash won’t fix bad signals from sensors.
I thought I mentioned it. But then again I have CRS. And then again again, I'm fully used to people not paying too much attention to things I say so . . . . But yeah, I replaced it last year and so far none of the symptoms have returned.

And not that it matters with this being in NERPT and all but to stay on topic, I promised myself to change the TPS first before putting on those Remus cans which I assumed would require, or at least benefit from, the PAIR system removal. BUT! if I did the flash then I probably wouldn't have to, so thinking I'd make the quick run up to his (now old) shop, I went ahead and already put the cans on. I'm a good thinker. Or so I thought. So now that he moved do I go and plan a road trip south or do I take the easy way and simply ship it down to him? I'll have to think about it.

Hey, dont think you are the only one with CRS. You probably did tell me and I plumb forscott! Glad you got that sorted out.

I dont think you have to remove PAIR at all for aftermarket cans, but you might get a little trailing throttle exhaust popping. Heck, thats what my Africa Twin does in stock form.

Dont think an ECU reflash would impact that since the popping is due to the added O2 in the exhaust stream. I had that for quite a while on my VStrom too, when I had a leaky exhaust joint gasket adding air.

Yup, it was just the popping that I thought might get too much. Hasn't been that bad though in the limited miles I've done with them. As far as the flash, from Ivan's website:

4) Close AIS valves electronically

No need for block-off plates for air injection system

No popping on decel !!

No hoses to plug - Just plug in your ECU and go !!

Ahhh, sneaky. But then you don’t get to clean things up under the tank. I already deleted my PAIR at the first valve check, just like I did with the old first gen. Don’t tell Al Gore.

Hey, everybody. I just spoke to Ivan on the phone. The reason the Gen 1 and Gen 2 ECU flashes have not been made available is simple: He has not been able to find the appropriate bikes to test them with on his dyno. Otherwise, he says, the software work is done.

It seems to me somebody near him -- he's in Greenville, South Carolina -- might want to think about lending his bike to him. Maybe he'd do a deal with you for a reduced price or something. He requires a fairly low-mileage bike without engine or exhaust modification, Gen 1, and also Gen 2. I'd give him my 11,000-mile Gen 2 to use, but I'm hundreds of miles away.

His number is 845-268-1212.

Last edited by a moderator:
So to be clear.....can ECU be finagled out without removing right side fairing. Can the screw be removed "through an access whole in fairing"? (not near bike to look, LOL)
ECU can most definitely come out w/o removing the RH plastic. I should add that removing the single shoulder-screw on the RH side allows more fairing flex for easier access to the ECU plugs. With a thin screwdriver you can unsnap the top of the plastic cover over the ECU. ECU slides out.

~G
Got my ECU back from Ivan recently and thought I'd post up to add a little clarity about the removal/install. As George said above you can get to it without removing the fairing however I got hung up looking at the bottom screw and ended up removing the right side. No biggie. It'll only take a few minutes more and you'll have a cleaner look-see at the connectors and all but definitely not necessary. So in case someone going forward is a little confused, here's a few pics.

In the shot below taken from Carver's previous post you can see a silver hex bolt almost directly below the obscured orange label. This is what I focused on thinking it had to be removed. It doesn't. But in trying to get at it I backed out the fairing bolt and even after flexing the fairing as far as I dared I couldn't squeeze a tool onto it.

All you really need to do is gently pry apart the two tabs at the top of the casing. The plastic there is fairly flexible so breaking it shouldn't be an issue but still, insert the usual disclaimer here. You want to go from this:

IMG-20190315-142932764.jpg

To this:

IMG-20190315-141437358.jpg

Once that outer cover is loose you can flex it away and slide the ECU right out. All that said though if you do take the fairing off you can then loosen that hex bolt which will loosen up the cradle even more. Furthermore, as a few other components reside right next to the two ECU connectors, freeing up a little space to shift things around makes getting at those a tad easier. Again, not necessary, just easier.

Finally, and like others have said, turn-around time down to Ivan and back was fast, probably within a week. Maybe the unit spent overnight in his shop before he called with its tracking number back. He also insisted on using a FedEx drop place as I couldn't guarantee someone would be around to sign for it. Then again, maybe that's a New York thing.
uhoh.gif

Oh, and about the octane question, I don't remember seeing anything in the box about using 89 nor did it get brought up while talking on the phone. Not sure if that means anything or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reporting back....shipped to Ivan's on Friday, ECU was back in my hands yesterday (Tuesday).

Purchased a Two-Brothers slip on (thanks mvette!) and decided the ECU was in order as well. Didn't ride the new pipes without the ECU flash, it was an all-in endeavor....so I can't report on whether there was decel pop, etc.

ECU flash is pretty awesome. As a preface, I've always ridden this bike in Sport mode. Just found Tour too tame, honestly hurt my line choice even in normal riding, and especially in curvies.

Power delivery is quite a bit smoother. Better pull all the way through the rev range, and much crisper shifting as well. Butt dyno could easily say 3-5hp, but who cares about that, the power delivery is spot on. The fuel cut is NEARLY gone. Only in certain situations did I feel like it could still be better. And sometimes I think its hard to separate the drivetrain lash on this bike with the fuel cut. I mean, they do the same thing basically. When shutting the throttle the extra pull of the driveshaft and 1300ccs may play a part in the lurching, let's face it this isn't a free wheeling YZ125. That said, the initial re-opening of the throttle is better and less on/off in all situations. Much crisper. I appreciate the small things as well, no cruise limit, earlier fan start, no decel popping. I'd say Ivan has this thing dialed in. There is no way I would invest in a power commander when he has this available. I did some "tuning" on my Speed Triple with TuneECU and he has essentially taken that to the next level. The ECU flash is the best way to go IMO if you're looking to clean up throttle response and open the bike up some. Add to that the no cruise limit, potential for better gas mileage, etc, etc....no brainer to me.

I think Ivan's flash would benefit the GEN I's and GEN II's most, at least for drive-ability issues. Someone needs to get him an older FJR to work on soon before we all move to GEN III's.
smile.png

I would certainly let him test the software on my bike, but I'm on the wrong coast.
Excuses , excuses ...

Think of the great RR you could write ... 'Traveling the Country to find a Flasher'
rolleyes.gif

Mine is on the way back to me. Can't wait. FYI - Ivan started with a stock ECU which does NOT have the key fix update to prevent the CEL if you try and start the bike without the key fully in the on position. Getting the update at your local dealer WILL overwrite all of Ivan's good work.