Ivan's ECU Flash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No but if you have a 2006 or 2007, how could you not do this.

Escapefjrtist's 2015 with the up grade is really effective. He also has the 3rd enabled YCCT mode that is pretty darned impressive.

JSNS

I would think it is a no-brainer for '06 or '07, especially if you don't already have a Power Commander.

Perhaps less for later Gen II.  My 2011 has 65,000 miles or so and wondering what would happen with mileage, power and engine longevity.   Ivan's site says improved mileage but no real data on that - might be offset by more enthusiastic wrist-twisting if power increase is noticeable.  Tests were done with 89 octane - will it run OK on regular or is higher octane needed?

Throttle response is OK on the 2011 but that isn't to say that it couldn't be better.  I think I might consider it but would like to see what others have experienced first.

No but if you have a 2006 or 2007, how could you not do this.

Escapefjrtist's 2015 with the up grade is really effective. He also has the 3rd enabled YCCT mode that is pretty darned impressive.

JSNS
Send me a check, I'll send Ivan my ecu.  Otherwise it ani't worth it.

Maybe the test ride went so well he got launched into space and hasn't come down yet?

I got my ECU back from Ivan about 3 weeks ago and I can say it was worth it just for the shifting smoothness alone ('10 1300A) and what really impressed me is the fuel economy went from an average of 43 to 50+ mpg.  Fans do come on sooner when stopped which is a good thing I think.  As far as the power curve goes it is not much different than before which is good since I never had any complaints in this department.  Overall the engine runs smoother from idle which is really smooth all the way up the RPM scale.  Again, the really big improvement is in shifting ease and smoothness, just no comparison to before the flash.  Would I have it done again? Yes, since my bike is very low miles (12K) and I plan to keep it a long time.

Maybe the test ride went so well he got launched into space and hasn't come down yet?

I got my ECU back from Ivan about 3 weeks ago and I can say it was worth it just for the shifting smoothness alone ('10 1300A) and what really impressed me is the fuel economy went from an average of 43 to 50+ mpg.  Fans do come on sooner when stopped which is a good thing I think.  As far as the power curve goes it is not much different than before which is good since I never had any complaints in this department.  Overall the engine runs smoother from idle which is really smooth all the way up the RPM scale.  Again, the really big improvement is in shifting ease and smoothness, just no comparison to before the flash.  Would I have it done again? Yes, since my bike is very low miles (12K) and I plan to keep it a long time.
I think this is the first report for a Gen II.  Mileage and shifting improvement is interesting although I always thought my 2011 was pretty good.  (For reference, I put 185,000 miles on an '07 without Power Commander.)  Since it removes the throttle cut, what does it do to compression braking?  I would expect that downshifting to slow the bike would be less effective and might require a bit more use of hand and foot brakes.

My bike has a few more miles than yours (maybe 70,000 miles or so) but I expect to keep it for a good long while.  I will have to give this some consideration...

Hi Ross,  I can't really effectively  answer your  compression braking question because I usually don't use much compression braking, just lazy I guess.  Since I first found my FJR in '16 I was bothered by its tendency to not idle smoothly and at slow speeds it was a little jerky.  I started messing around right away with different CO settings all the way to +20 with only limited success.  Ivan's ECU flash about 90% corrected these issues on my bike with all 4 CO settings at zero as per Ivan's instructions.  Ivan told me that the end result will be like having my FJR run and perform as if it was a very well tuned carbureted bike and that's a pretty accurate description.

Having a cruising range of 300 miles is, imo, just awesome.  

He put it in Saturday.  Bike fired right up.  sounded great.

J bought the ECU that Ivan used to do his testing and development on.  I sent J's ECU to Ivan on Tuesday (2nd day air) to be reflashed for my bike.  Just got a call from Ivan a few minutes ago and it will be back Friday.  Then I will swap it into my bike.

here is Ivan's Gen II FJR page.  For those that want more info specific to the 2nd Gen FJRs.

Since it removes the throttle cut, what does it do to compression braking?  I would expect that downshifting to slow the bike would be less effective and might require a bit more use of hand and foot brakes.
My 2018 still has copious amounts of engine braking.  However, I've had instructors and life lessons that taught the brakes are for stopping and the motor is for giddy-up-and-go. 

Have you ever missed a downshift or caught a false neutral?  Doing so whilst going into a high speed turn and expecting (but not getting) help from engine braking will put you into the kitty litter.  At best.

He put it in Saturday.  Bike fired right up.  sounded great.

J bought the ECU that Ivan used to do his testing and development on.  I sent J's ECU to Ivan on Tuesday (2nd day air) to be reflashed for my bike.  Just got a call from Ivan a few minutes ago and it will be back Friday.  Then I will swap it into my bike.

here is Ivan's Gen II FJR page.  For those that want more info specific to the 2nd Gen FJRs.
Keep us posted, trust your opinion.

Bryan, are all the ECU's the same from the early Gen ll's to the later ones? You 06 to J's 10 or 11. Wondering Opie's mind.

Have you ever missed a downshift or caught a false neutral?  Doing so whilst going into a high speed turn and expecting (but not getting) help from engine braking will put you into the kitty litter.  At best.
More likely to use engine braking on a downslope in town to control speed or coming to a traffic light.  Not under aggressive riding conditions or slowing down for cornering.  Question was more a matter of curiosity than a major Pro or Con.

...are all the ECU's the same from the early Gen ll's to the later ones
For sure there is different programming from Yamaha between model years but as to whether the actual computer differs, I don't know how you would find out.  I assume that the "Flash" wipes out everything in the eprom and replaces it with new code.  Note: People have put later ECU's into earlier FJR's with success, if that means anything.

Bryan, are all the ECU's the same from the early Gen ll's to the later ones? You 06 to J's 10 or 11. Wondering Opie's mind.
Kevin, as I understand it up to 2012 is the same.  In 2013 Yamaha added a lot more layers of management to the ECU which allows more timing changes that Ivan can manage.