Joe Rocket Sahara Vest (test) Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
On advice from Rick-n-Karen, I ordered a pair of these for us. The other night we got them, so we wet 'em down and headed out for an hour-long outing in the local foothills. It was about 103 when we left, but we were rather comfortable with the vests under our full mesh suits. The vests were still comfortable when we got done, so I'd imagine they would keep a person cool enough to get through a tank of gas before re-wetting. They certainly take the edge off riding in the heat, and were had for about $68.00 each from NewEnough.com :)

My Sahara vest arrived from Newenough last week, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Thanks for the write-up.

I actually went the el-cheepo route and bought a Technicke brand cooling vest, $30. Got to try it out today. About 95 or so, definitely works well. After about an hour tho, it started loosing some cooling effect on the front. The sides and back were still working tho. Overall, good stuff!

Mike

I've had mine for about a month now, I must say it's very nice to have. :haha:

At 100+ it will last about 3 hours before you need to re-wet it (if you don't it will still keep you cooler then without it)

2nd wetting. you only need to wet it for about a minuet, the water does not need to be cold (it feels better for the fist 20 min or so if it's cold water, but after that it doesn't matter)

Tip, for roadside use: You can carry a plastic bag, fill the bag with water,(From a water bottle, some quick stops have large water jugs for 80 or 90 cents) soak the vest, your ready to ride!

Sure makes a hot day of riding much more enjoyable!

Your clothes do get a bit wet, don't wear Cotton, I've found if you wear UnderArmer you stay much dryer and cooler.

Hope my little bit of information helped someone. :D

Enjoy :assasin:

UnCaged

Sounds like a must-have for my trip west next month. Thanks for the writeup!

Your clothes do get a bit wet, don't wear Cotton, I've found if you wear UnderArmer you stay much dryer and cooler.
Hope my little bit of information helped someone
Yeah, it did. I was thinking about investing in some Under Armour, now it looks like I'll have to go for it. Anybody else tried it with bare skin underneath, besides us? Looks a little risque at the lunch stops, but seems to work great if you're not planning to stop along the way. ;)

I got mine about a week ago -- on the same recommendation from the same ride, and also from New Enough. Maybe Rick and Karen should be getting a commission from Joe Rocket and/or New Enough. Seems if we all were to reconstitute that ride, most of us would be waiting for lunch in Markleeville in Sahara vests.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, due to work commitments and moving considerations. Took a late afternoon trip over Ebbets with GF yesterday, but it wasn't really hot enough to put the vest to a test.

Hope my little bit of information helped someone. :D

Enjoy :assasin:

UnCaged
Why no cotton?

Holds water (sweat). Moisture/heat cause irritation. Irritation makes you unhappy. You want the moisture to pass through the undergarments and not be held by them. Visit your local outdoor store. They have lots-o-good stuff. On trips, I wear Patagonia fleece jumps under my riding pants. Stay nice and fresh all day long...

Has anyone tried panty hose? An HD rider was just telling me today some of them wear panty hose for this purpose (and to help leg circulation) - seriously. :huh:

Has anyone tried panty hose? An HD rider was just telling me today some of them wear panty hose for this purpose (and to help leg circulation) - seriously. :huh:
We used to use them Scuba Diving, Makes getting the wet suits on and off soo much easyer.

The pantyhose trick works for longer trips on horseback as well. Sort of acts like two pairs of socks that I used to wear for sports in school.

It's a cool thing for guys......................really! :unsure:

What's cool is your comfortable. B)

Pantyhose always felt hot to me (but I've never tried wearing them when I ride the bike). I have a pair of silk long-johns I wear under my mesh riding pants. They absorb sweat and dry quickly.