Julian 6-21-08, formerly Borrego Springs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
Another great ride was had by all. Thanks to the San Diegoites that always want an excuse to ride. Thanks to Ghostrider for setting this up, bummer you weren't there. Special thanks to Neil for taking over as our fearless leader. And kudos to Low Level FJR Pilot for doing the zumo thang. He planned the whole route for the Garminites.

Lets see, who all was there....

Neil San Diego (Neil & Janet) our fearless ride leader!

FJRBluesman (Simon)

Jordylad (John)

Low Level FJR Pilot (Dave)

pegscraper Two up with Ms NASCAR (Ed & Jacquie)

Slappy (Jerry) riding street sweeper

Malve (Michael)

His 2006 (Michael)

Hers 2006 (Judi)

While we waited at a light, Pegscraper and Ms NASCAR rolled up along side of us. We pull into the local gas station near the Starbucks and a few others roll in. We met up at about 8ish and we took off around 9am. To say it was hot is an understatement. It was really bloody hot.

The ride was abbreviated due to heat but Neil took us into his backyard for a stroll that was a lot fun with twisty turns. We took a break at Dudley's Famous Bakery before heading into Julian. We met up with His2006 & Hers 2006 at Dudley's. They were waiting for us at Highland road, when they saw us come around the bend they quickly got their gear on and the chase was on. They caught us at Dudley's. Needless to say Dudley's is quite popular with the San Diego motorcycle crowd and there was another FJR there and some other bikes there. At this point it's 100º at 10:30am or so.

We made it into Julian taking the long way around and stopped at the Rong Branch eatery. We took another break and jordylad and Bluesman were craving Mom's apple pie at that famous Julian delicacy, Mom's. The rest of the gang took off for another loop and jordylad and bluesman got out of the heat and had apple pie alamode. After the quick dessert break, jordylad and Bluesman headed for the coast for some cooler temps. We visited the Mission Santa Ysabel on the way back.

On the ride back, around noon, the hottest it got was 109º in Ramona and all the way into Escondido. That was bloody hot!!! Clipping over the 78 towards the 5 it would get progressively cooler until it was finally about 80º. The ride home from there for me wasn't too bad it was 90º in Tustin.

Had a great time meeting new people and seeing Neil and Jerry again.

Please post photos and other tid-bits. If I butchered anyone's name or mixed up people please PM me and I'll fix it.

That 2005 FJR is the best FJR, hands down!

IM003132.jpg

Man, why are there so many bloody 2007's!

IM003133.jpg

Neil San Diego, Slappy, pegscraper, jordylad in background, Low Level FJR Pilot, Janet in background, Malve

IM003136.jpg

You'll always find jordylad with the ladies (Janet & Jacquie).

IM003137.jpg

Bluesman had to pay to have his picture taken with the ladies.

IM003139.jpg

First stop Dudley's Famous Bakery of San Diego, at the 78 and 79 intersection, in Santa Ysabel.

IM003144.jpg

The Gang at Dudley's, 100º at about 10:30am. Note the leo in the SUV giving chase to a HD.

IM003140.jpg

Met up with His 2006 and Hers 2006 at Dudley's.

IM003142.jpg

Julian, at the Rong Branch eatery.

IM003147.jpg

The gang at Rong Branch

IM003146.jpg

jordylad and I stopped at the Santa Ysabel Mission, we were praying for cooler weather, it was about 106º here.

IM003150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a great ride today; hot but awesome! It was 106° on our way back through Poway at 11:45 AM. It was so nice to hook up with such a great group of fellow riders and their pillions and meet some new folks that love riding as much as we do. Sorry we were not able to stop for lunch with you all this time. We hope the food was good at Rong Branch Restaurant. Thanks for the friendly conversation and excellent group ride. It was great meeting everyone. It was fun and we’re looking forward to the next ride. But it’s just GOT to be cooler next time.

HIS2006 & HER2006

Michael & Judi

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

All I can say is great ride, great company and good food. It was nice meeting others with the same love of the FJR and riding. Even though it was hotter than :diablo: we all had a good time. :fans: . Neil, Janet and I stopped at the little taco shop and store just before the turn to Valley Center, the temp reading on our bikes was around 111. It cooled down a bit by the time I hit Escondido and stopped at Kennedy's Karne it was 102. We definately need to plan the next ride to be a cooler coastal one. B)

As always it was a fun ride and even better company. Thanks to Dave for getting the ball rolling and Neil for seeing it through. We need to make this a monthly thing and move it around a little. After all Simon and his tender Ducati bottom just cant handle riding down to San Diego all the time. He might wrinkle his skirt.

John was saying the road north of Malibu was torn up. Is there anyone up in that neck of the woods can confirm this? I would love to do a fun ride up the coast for the next ride.

Jerry - You can't handle the roads of Malibu. They are for men, not girls like you that sue because your Victoria Secret thong parts hit you in the eye..... :blink:

I'll have to post those pictures of you soon. :dribble:

**Edit** Sorry, this is a ride report not dog-pile Friday. ;)

Oh I can handle it, you just keep that skirt under control. :dribble: All I have to do is follow the bright red bike with you on it. That in itself will keep the challenge to a minimum. :yahoo:

Seriously though what about a coastal ride? Can someone pick a series of roads, a meeting point and an ending point. Bluesman you said there was a great fish and chips place up there.

Lets make it happen.

OK. I'll do it.

I'll pick 2-3 prestine canyons with tons-O-twisties, make a stop at the Rock Store, and then Malibu Seafood for fish & chips.

Jacquie (MsNASCAR) and I had a great time on the ride but the best part was meeting new people and friends. Jerry had us all rolling and the other pillions (the 3 J's), Janet and Judy gave Jacquie inspiration to take the course soon and to perhaps get her own bike. That way I could ride the 1st 800 miles and when I get tired she could take over and ride the 2nd 800 miles and we would get there twice as fast.

We are looking forward to more rides with everyone again, but it may have to wait until after we return from the Golden CO NAFO rally. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Here are some quick grab shots

322348995.jpg

Arriving at the Rong Branch restuarant in Julian. My New Orleans chicken sandwich was mouth watering good.

322348998.jpg

Quick, take the picture so we can get into the shade.

322348999.jpg

Janet and Jacquie outside the Rong Branch restuarant

322349001.jpg

Past WFO rallys.

https://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...amp;uid=2244745

Glad everyone had fun.. I wish I could have made this one but hey, I got everyone together in the heat!!! lol So I gotta know about this thong thing with Jerry or maybe on second thought I don't. :blink:

So I gotta know about this thong thing with Jerry or maybe on second thought I don't. :blink:
Thanks fer that Dave. My inner child is gonna need some serious pyschological counseling now... :help:

And Dave, we missed ya buddy! We could have really used someone to whine to about the heat! :p Hope to see you and Beth next time around.

Ditto everyone else's comments. Great times, fun meeting new folks, and great seeing Slappy and FJRBluesman again (and Dave, we talked about you behind yer back... :p ). Oh and did anyone mention it was FREAKIN' HOT?! Thought I was doing good until the last 20 miles when the temp went up to 109F. Janet may never forgive me for that one... :eek: Oh well, she doesn't remember much, what with the heat stroke and all... :huh:

All in all it was a great time, and thanks to all who joined the run. Only have two pictures to show for it all, so here there are.

The infamous Rong Branch...with some Feejers in front

Julian_03.jpg

A cool picture of Janet's reflection in some old coots helmet

Julian_02.jpg

So I gotta know about this thong thing with Jerry or maybe on second thought I don't. :blink:
Thanks fer that Dave. My inner child is gonna need some serious pyschological counseling now... :help:

And Dave, we missed ya buddy! We could have really used someone to whine to about the heat! :p Hope to see you and Beth next time around.

Ditto everyone else's comments. Great times, fun meeting new folks, and great seeing Slappy and FJRBluesman again (and Dave, we talked about you behind yer back... :p ). Oh and did anyone mention it was FREAKIN' HOT?! Thought I was doing good until the last 20 miles when the temp went up to 109F. Janet may never forgive me for that one... :eek: Oh well, she doesn't remember much, what with the heat stroke and all... :huh:

All in all it was a great time, and thanks to all who joined the run. Only have two pictures to show for it all, so here there are.

The infamous Rong Branch...with some Feejers in front

Julian_03.jpg

A cool picture of Janet's reflection in some old coots helmet

Julian_02.jpg

lol Very understandable, that must have been scary, Jerry thong.. lol :unsure: It was a setup, plan a ride, predict the weather and then back out.... Pure genius... :clapping: Hmmm talking about me eh. Thats ok Jerry was wearing a bug. :assassin: I know everything!!!!

We will have to plan another ride soon. I may be off to AZ soon!!!! I hope your wife forgives us/me.

Hi everyone.

Great to meet you all. I thoroughly enjoyed the company and the riding, and the Mom's apple pie.

Definately looking forward to the next gathering, I like the idea of a monthly ride.

Those were great roads, I've riden to Julian a dozen times but that was the firt time on most of those roads. I normally come down from the north down 79 than back along 78 and S2. But that was really great.

Thanks to those to made it happen and everyone for making it such a memorable day.

Cheers, until the next time.

John

Hey star, thanks for letting me borrow your thong. I dont think you want it back so I bought you a new one from Victorias Secret.

It was great to meet y'all on Sat. Thank you for including me. I enjoyed the ride and lunch and didn't mind the heat too bad. Sorry about looking like a squid when I left with no jacket.

Glad it was a safe and fun ride for everyone. Cant wait for the next one wherever it might be.