Jupiter's Travels Revisited

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... and wearing nothing under the overalls, revealing perfectly rounded (but still PG13 rated) side cleavage......

HOLD IT!!!!!

I've got to quit this immediately. I'd rather just let my imagination wander and look forward to whatever Hudson has in store for us.

Winter is here, and I'm connecting with the real "John" this weekend, so hope to add new chapters, work has just been super busy.

Part Four. The Answer

It took a full two weeks for John to talk to the only partner in his law firm he could talk to. His mentor, the one who had gone out on a limb in making the hiring recommendation for John (who had graduated from a very good, but still-not-an-ivy-league caliber law school).

His mentor had picked John above a Princeton and Columbia grad, having never bought into the idea of picking law school grads by the label and seeing something in John that suggested John was the better long term candidate. Seven years later, John had proved the partner’s choice to be the right one. And yet now, here John was, asking for a rain check just on the cusp of consideration for partnership. A mere two years away at most, and never in any doubt.

John knew the best place for this discussion was outside the office, so after verifying that his mentor’s calendar was free that morning, he arrived thirty minutes early and camped himself at the elevator in the parking garage underneath their offices. He chose his approach carefully: “I need to talk to you about something important.” This assured the mentor would accompany him to the coffee shop two blocks farther away, the one his colleagues would be unlikely to be at getting their morning lattes.

Though he had practiced dozens of possible ways to broach the topic, in the end, John just ended up retelling the story, starting with the receipt of the letter, recounting his missed opportunity before starting college, and saying only what was in his heart as he had mentally come to grips with his decision. No build up, no soft sell, no attempts to defend or explain or create possible solutions. Just the plain truth, which was as effective a strategy as any when talking to a seasoned lawyer who had seen his fair share of bullshit over the years.

As he talked, John observed his mentor’s face, watching it shift from distraction at the beginning to something more serious, and finally to something that wasn’t displeasure but wasn’t encouraging either. He had seen this expression a long time ago, and it wasn’t till a week later that it finally occurred to him when the last time was: on his own father’s face upon hearing of John’s plans to delay college and travel in Ted Simon’s footsteps, some twenty years earlier.

When John finished, his mentor looked at him for several uncomfortable moments before responding.

“What do want me to say, John?”

Another uncomfortably long pause.

“John, you know the stakes. How close you are and how hard you’ve worked to make it this far. And you also know there are no time outs. You do this thing…this adventure…there’s no guarantee you get to pick up right where you left off.”

“So, you’re saying I shouldn’t go?” It wasn’t so much of a question. And the silence that followed wasn’t so much of an answer either. But what his mentor said next was most unexpected.

“I’ve worked harder than most people I know to get where I am. I know you would do the same; that’s why I backed you from the very start. To see you now, on the verge of crossing the finish line, is something I should be thrilled about. Just as to see you pause is something I should be incredibly angry about.”

His mentor shifted his gaze from John to somewhere away in the distance.

“But I do know something you don’t. I know what the next ten years looks like."

"You get more power. You get to sit at the big table with the other partners, making the big decisions. You get profit sharing checks with more zeroes at the end. You get a new Mercedes every couple of years. You get to take big important clients to big fancy dinners.”

“All this while your wife sits home most nights. You’ll make all kinds of great excuses for missing all kinds of important events. You’ll try to make it up with jewelry, a few vacations where she relaxes while you work half the day. And, you may even get the chance to do this again, with your second wife. You certainly get the chance to fight with your partners over whether this year’s profit sharing check starts with a one or two.”

“But the one thing you won’t get ever, not in seven years or even seventeen, is the chance to take six months off to go on a motorcycle adventure. Just so you have the full picture.”

His mentor suddenly stood up, and looked directly at John again. “You’re the one who has to make the decision. But know this one thing. Whether you choose to take this adventure or not, you can always choose to be a lawyer. Perhaps not here, but somewhere.”

And with that, his mentor smiled for the first time since sitting down, shook John’s hand firmly, and then turned around to walk back to his office where his desk awaited.

Last edited by a moderator:
clapping.gif
Yeah! More! More!

Slight off topic, but here is a great blog of a guy who is doing his own round-the-world trip, traveling into some amazing places including Iran, on a KTM 1190R (which I also ride). Fantastic pictures and some fun video of his adventures. He's also on Facebook with regular posts.

https://www.goodwilljourney.org

It inspires me to keep cranking out the story here.

Panman, I prefer to think that said beverages serve as lubrication, not fuel.

All motivations and backstories will be revealed in the Epilogue.

Though maybe I better up my game. I'm still far behind:

1. Smart Car Tipping

2. Hey, Nice Beemer You Got

but gaining ground on:

Does the Forum have a computer bug?
Assisting with bumping this to the top... and eagerly participating! B)

Panman, I prefer to think that said beverages serve as lubrication, not fuel.

All motivations and backstories will be revealed in the Epilogue.

Though maybe I better up my game. I'm still far behind:

1. Smart Car Tipping

2. Hey, Nice Beemer You Got

but gaining ground on:

Does the Forum have a computer bug?
Assisting with bumping this to the top... and eagerly participating!
cool.png
Need some help, I could use some lubricating. Need to have another fire I guess.

Just need to get my new house moved in, and my current house listed. Then maybe time for the next chapter.

I decided I needed to move again to remind me of how much I hate moving.

The mishap I had this summer kinda slowed my appetite to finish this, but with winter nearly here, I'm starting back up. Stay tuned.

In the past few months, I've learned some things about my characters' lives that I couldn't make up if I tried, so I am very exited to get to the epilogue. But first there is an epic journey in the middle and some crazy detours to narrate. Sharpening my Microsoft Surface pen...

Part Five. The Start.

At nine a.m., the approaching sound of the motorcycle’s exhaust made Ted look up from his breakfast. Before him was a plate of eggs (scrambled lightly), toast, a grilled tomato, and wheat toast, topped with a watery spread of orange marmalade served in small plastic packets, which, horrid as it was to Ted’s palate, was still a far better choice than the nearly transparent grape jelly that hotel café’s waiter insisted was “jam”.

Ted looked on as the rider, dressed in a bright blue one piece Aerostich suit and riding boots that stopped nearly halfway up the calves, dismounted his shiny new BMW 1150 GS and pulled off his bright yellow helmet. At least Ted suspected it may have started out as a GS, since the bike was festooned with shiny metal livery, sporting two rather large aluminum panniers, crash guards that climbed up to the fuel tank, accessory lights and mountings, and various mounts supporting a GPS device, an MP3 player, and what appeared to Ted to be a small handheld walkie-talkie secured to the mount with velcro.

Atop one pannier was strapped a rather large nylon bag holding a tent; the other pannier sported a high-tech synthetic sleeping bag compressed down into a waterproof rubberized dry sack. Bolted to the rear of the panniers were two small “jerrycans” that could be holding fuel, water, or possibly kerosene. The lid of the rear top case sported a folding shovel clipped into its riveted mount, and two spare tires were secured to the rear seat and top case by purposeful looking short bungie mounts custom tailored for just this task. The contents of each pannier was for now unknown to Ted, but he quickly surmised they might be capable of outfitting a small tribe of pygmies.

John waved to Ted and walked into the café in to greet him. Ted grinned at the smurf-colored Transformer standing before him.

You realize, dear chap, that we are embarking on a ride, not an expedition?

John instantly look puzzled. Ted was dressed in a red flannel shirt, over a white undershirt and both tucked into blue jeans, which covered his light tan work boots. The breakfast laid out in front of him, next to a small pot of Earl Grey (still steeping), suddenly eliminated any question that Ted was intending to leave his chair within the next thirty, sixty, or perhaps even one hundred twenty minutes.

“Where’s your riding suit?” asked John. “And where’s your bike?” Ted gestured to a side parking lot.

“I guess I’m early then” offered John. “I thought we’d be at least a hundred miles away by now.”

Ted grinned even more.

“I assure you that Tierra Del Fuego is in no danger of disappearing in the next hour. Consequently, we are in no urgency to dispense with a civilised breakfast, dear chap.”

He waived to his marmalade-laden toast. “Though it is the height of charity to describe this slurry as civil. Why don’t you sit and join me for a cup of tea. That is if you can manage to sit in your…spacesuit.”

John sat down as Ted poured his and John’s tea. Ted handed him the cup, gazing intently at John, who felt suddenly sheepish and deflected the stare with another question.

“So, what’s the route plan for today?”

“The route plan. Yes.” A long pause.

“So of course I’ve consulted my maps and my original journals.” A shorter pause.

“Both conspired to produce the following itinerary.” Another short pause.

“This morning, we will start by heading to Westlake Avenue, which we shall travel on for three miles before turning left onto Mercer. In slightly more than three quarters of a mile, we shall merge onto the ramp to Interstate five.”

John jumped in. “Yes…that’s the quickest way to the freeway. What’s today’s route?’

Ted’s grin disappeared.

“Well dear chap, given that Tierra Del Fuego lies approximately 6500 miles to the south of our start point, my recommendation for today’s route is that we generally head in the Southerly direction.”

And with that, Ted placed a large crisp triangle of toast in his mouth and began to slowly chew.

One hundred thirty-three minutes later, Ted and John departed the hotel. John had sat through breakfast as Ted talked about places he had a mind to visit over the next few days. It became clear that this was the closest to a “route plan” as Ted cared to devise.

Mount St. Helens. The Columbia gorge. A small town about an hour from the Oregon border, Shaniko, which had a one hundred and twenty-year old hotel with a café that served a cold pea and cucumber pureed soup rumored to come from the private recipe book of the Queen’s favorite chef. A volcano field west of Redmond. Crater Lake. A road that ran somewhat parallel to I5, but seventy miles to the west which passed by a small campground, Happy Camp, where Ted insisted they had to camp, and beyond which the roads curved for miles as they first crested a pass and then plunged into a valley before following beside a winding river for nearly a hundred miles, ending in Weaverville.

John quickly surmised that at a rustic café in Weaverville, Ted would devise the next “ride plan” over a similarly long and probably late breakfast of eggs, grilled tomato, and toast.

Only this time there would be no breach of civility. Owing to a thirty-minute long detour to the local Whole Foods (commenced a mere five minutes into the start of their journey before they ever reached I5), Ted had located and purchased two jars of proper English marmalade, along with a small box of dried fig and black olive toast, thinly sliced.

John had first watched as Ted saddled up his mostly stock BMW GS, mounting a waxed-cotton duffel bag atop his rear seat secured with a nylon rope, to accompany two lightly stuffed soft bags hung on either side. John could not discern any spare gas cans, nor did he see evidence that the side bags contained a suitable air pump or meaningful tool kit. Ted’s tent bag looked to be a third the size of John’s and would later reveal itself to be a one-man backpacker’s tent, patched from previous tears and with a hand-sewn bug net as its front door. His sleeping bag was housed in a camouflaged stuff sack bought at a military surplus outlet.

Somewhere in the soft bags was a tiny folding box stove from which Ted would later deposit whatever combustible materials he could gather at the campsite, lit by a fire starter made of of cotton balls that Ted had earlier stirred into a glass container filled with melted petroleum jelly and let dry and harden. Ted’s mess kit would prove similarly frugal – two matching rough- enameled grey steel mugs, one for tea and the other for everything else, housed in a non-matching enameled small royal blue steel pot for boiling water. Ted let on that said kit ranked among his best “finds” at the monthly community yard sale held back home, secured for a mere $5 (and haggled down from $10). His one splurge appeared limited to a small metal “spork”, purchased the day before at full retail from the REI store.

After the marmalade detour, Ted asked John to lead his preferred route to Mt. St. Helens, since John clearly was familiar with the back roads route. John felt privileged, and he set upon a brisk pace. He was somewhat worried about getting through the rough paved roads leading up to St. Helens. They were marked with severe frost heaves, and he worried equally about the deer that wandered out on the roads at dusk.

But Ted fell quickly behind, and where John customarily wicked up the speeds on sparsely traveled backroads, Ted seemed content to motor along at a more relaxed pace. At first, this forced John into a whip-saw pattern, as he would speed up, then slow back down so as not to lose Ted. Fairly quickly, he lowered his speed ten miles per hour and that seem to settle Ted in several car lengths behind.

They made their first gas stop in Randle, which sported only one gas station. John relieved himself and fueled up in just ten minutes. Ted disappeared for almost twenty, and when he emerged from the small attached store, John joked.

“Everything come out ok?

Ted smiled, nodded, and as he fueled up his GS, he shared with John that the gas station owner was the third generation owner, having taken over from his father who had run the station for thirty years. His father had followed the thirty-five year tenure of the grandfather, who had installed the original pumps using his GI money earned after he returned home from the war.

“He’s worried” shared Ted.

“His son moved to Seattle for an engineering job eight years ago, and his daughter is now in Portland with her two teenage kids. He’s doubtful either could be convinced to return home and run the station. Rather a sad tale, really.”

“We’d better get moving if we hope to see St. Helens and get to the Gorge before dark” urged John. He quickly mounted his GS, and then waited as Ted refilled his water bottle, put on his gloves and helmet, and then had to take his gloves off again when he forgot to tie his chin strap. They got moving fifteen minutes later, and it took another ninety minutes to reach the visitors center at Windy Ridge, overlooking St. Helens.

Ted was floored by the view and the surrounding devastation, painfully evident even twenty years later. He stopped and read every placard at each display, growing quiet as he learned the fate of those who lost their lives observing the last few minutes before mountain blew its top and sent superheated gasses racing toward the observers. He didn’t immediately respond when John noted “we’ve got to pick up the pace to get to the gorge now.”

They followed the winding road back until it once again wound its way south. Miles later, it turned into an unexpected dirt stretch, and then climbed in elevation. For a while they were surrounded by foliage and tall trees. As they descended, they caught glimpses and then full views of Mt. Adams. Then Ted suddenly pulled over, forcing John to turn around and ride back to meet him. It was now on the verge of dusk, much later than he wanted, and it was quickly becoming clear that reaching the Columbia gorge before sunset was not happening.

Ted pointed to the full view of Mt. Adams. “Amazing! Let’s stay here tonight.”

John looked puzzled. “The nearest campground is about thirty miles south”

Ted pointed to a small clearing off the road. “We can sleep there.”

John stared. It was barely big enough for his tent and bike. “There?”

“Yes, let’s set up now before we lose the light.” Ted grabbed his duffel and stuff sack and headed toward the clearing. His bike was off the road just a foot, but Ted seemed quite unconcerned.

Ten minutes later, John had finished carting his tent bag and one pannier back to the small clearing. He glanced over. Ted’s one-man tent was set up, and Ted was knelt over his assembled stove, lighting the cotton ball fire starters and igniting the small collection of twigs he had hastily collected.

Another fifteen minutes later, when John emerged from his setting up his two-man tent (which seem to dwarf Ted’s small structure), he was handed a mug of hot tea. Ted then thrust the cover of the boiling pot which now doubled as a serving tray for the fig and olive toast smeared with marmalade. John ate in silence.

“What an amazing day!” Ted gestured back to Mt. Adams. It had turned from white to deep pink as the sun quickly began to sink. They leaned against a large granite rock. Over the next thirty minutes, they said nothing as the sky turned from pink to orange, then purple.

An hour later, it reached its final dark blue hue.

When John awoke the next morning and glanced at his watch, he was surprised to see it was already seven thirty. He poked his head out of the tent. Ted was leaned against the same boulder as the previous night. Atop the stove, steam rose from the boiling pot. Ted’s tent was gone, folded and stowed on the bike with his sleeping bag. Ted gestured to the pot.

“Tea is ready, and there’s toast and jam. Plus I sliced an apple.”

Forty five minutes later, after Ted finished two cups of tea, John had finished packing and stowing his tent and gear and pannier onto his bike. Ted waited patiently as John sheepishly searched his pannier for the ignition key, which he had stowed in the metal box the night before.

“I’m ready”, volunteered John once he found the key and repacked the pannier.

Ted grinned back in a wide smile, deliberately showing all his front teeth.

“Well good then, dear chap. Honestly, I thought we’d be at least a hundred miles away by now.”