Keep Right laws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
When some tard parks his/her fat ass in the left lane oblivious to the world outside them and their Nokia? No shit rad, ya sez. Well, here's a chart with all the state rules on this compelling subject. Not that it'll do ya any good, unless you can text the applicable section to the moldfuck in front of ya. But hey, we tried.

"Keep Right" laws by state

When some tard parks his/her fat ass in the left lane oblivious to the world outside them and their Nokia? No shit rad, ya sez.
The idea of getting out of everyone else's way is not practiced here in So Cal. Indeed, it is the EXACT opposite. The general consensus among the folks on our roads is an attitude of "Go Around, Loser!!" It's practiced by damn-near everyone out here.

It's an attitude thing.

W2

When some tard parks his/her fat ass in the left lane oblivious to the world outside them and their Nokia? No shit rad, ya sez. Well, here's a chart with all the state rules on this compelling subject. Not that it'll do ya any good, unless you can text the applicable section to the moldfuck in front of ya. But hey, we tried.
"Keep Right" laws by state
It figures than Ohio has the law that you don't have to get your slow ass out of the left lane..

And the folks in Ohio must know the law ,,,, because most of them don't the common sense or the

good manners to get the F%&*$#@ out of the left lane when someone wants to go pass their slow ass. :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado just enacted that law last year. I don't know why,because nothing has changed,people still plug up the fast lane. If you flash to pass,they either ignore you or get pissed.

These laws are good examples of lawmakers waisting their time on useless legislation. I guess the law is there just to give officers something else to nail you with if you really piss them off. I have never heard of anyone ever getting pulled over for not yielding the left lane. It is laughable that some states even say that you should yield the lane even if the faster car is speeding! Too funny! I just drove 13.5 hours from Orlando to Virginia yesterday. How many of of those left lane hangers did you think I encountered?

Anaothe thought on the subject is cell phones as a great deal of time they have the phone in their face oblivious to the rest of the world. ALL states should enact laws prohibiting the use of a hand held device while driving. Then they can get them for a 2 banger when they pull them over for the phone. I know it is really distracting for me to use a hand held on the bike!

Yes! This irks me more than anything else on the road.

But I travel constantly in states in the northeast that claim they have "stay right except to pass" laws that is never enforced, and seldom adhered to by drivers.

The worst is when you are traveling in the mountains on a 2-lane (one each way) and when you get to an incline they add a slow traffic lane to the right, only to have the slow moving ass hats camping out in both lanes. Arrrrgh!!!!

I don't care how fast a vehicle is going, if they are going faster than you, and you are in the left lane, then move the fuck over!

[pant, pant,...] OK I feel better now.

Oooh!

(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as toimpede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway

adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily

when in a condition permitting safe operation.
Now I can lane share and pass on the right too!

In the northeast the only vehicles who pay attention to the 'keep right' laws are buses and semi's. I guess those guys have a lot more to lose than just the price of a ticket.

Since the laws vary so much from state to state and most drivers ignore them anyway, the best thing we can do is just try to read the local driving culture when using their roads and stay out of trouble.... as we go past. ;)

Yes! This irks me more than anything else on the road.
But I travel constantly in states in the northeast that claim they have "stay right except to pass" laws that is never enforced, and seldom adhered to by drivers.

The worst is when you are traveling in the mountains on a 2-lane (one each way) and when you get to an incline they add a slow traffic lane to the right, only to have the slow moving ass hats camping out in both lanes. Arrrrgh!!!!

I don't care how fast a vehicle is going, if they are going faster than you, and you are in the left lane, then move the fuck over!

[pant, pant,...] OK I feel better now.

+1 I am with you Fred. If you are slower then move over. I don't care if you are going under, over, or around the speed limit that is posted. It is the old saying - Lead, follow, or get the Hell out of the way.

No law is any good without enforcement.

The comment for Fla. in the link provided by 'radman' really sucks.

I think there's alot of difference in the wording on roadside signs. MN, IIRC, says "Slow traffic keep right" -- no one thinks of themselves as "slow" and , therefore, resists all implications of that directive (neither does MN's signs have the force of law -- they're merely 'suggestions').

Better, imo, is the sign wording: "Keep Right Except to Pass". (maybe adding: "Under Penalty of Law/Fine"?)

When some tard parks his/her fat ass in the left lane oblivious to the world outside them and their Nokia? No shit rad, ya sez.
The idea of getting out of everyone else's way is not practiced here in So Cal. Indeed, it is the EXACT opposite. The general consensus among the folks on our roads is an attitude of "Go Around, Loser!!" It's practiced by damn-near everyone out here.
Yeah, and then in Florida they get pissed off if you go around them. BTDT. Fuckers. My kingdom for a semi-truck load of LAW & RPG rounds.

EDIT: Holy crap. I just saw the Florida entry in Radman's link. I'm gobsmacked, but I don't know why... that's typical for Florida.

It's all about being considerate of other people and not trying to be the speed police. I drove in Europe for a few months and nearly everyone stayed right unless passing. Also, in Europe if someone flashed their lights at you, you moved over. Here someone flashes their lights and all it does is get someone pissed off.

Ever notice that on most 3 lane roads, the right lane is typically the most empty?

istockphoto_4746681-slower-traffic-keep-right.jpg

It's all about enforcement. If they don't get ticketed for it, then it ain't happening.

Here in California if a trucker is seeing not in the right two lanes, BAM! I got stopped

and ticketed for not being in the right two lanes and I was just pulling a trailer That's

enforcement.

The hands free cell phone law is a total joke, NO one obeys that law. Things have not

gotten better since it went into effect.

That was a very interesting site.

The link to the speed laws was very informative if not entirely up to date.

It listed max speed limit in Texas as 70 and I know for a fact there are places where it is 80.