Know About Free Parks Passes for Vets?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
This was effective Nov. 1st but some of the information on the program isn't super clear.  But the good news is, if you're a veteran, you will be able to enjoy all of the National Parks and other fee-based federal sites for FREE.  It sounds like exactly what the lifetime National Parks Pass (Senior NP Pass, formerly Golden Age Pass) that we old guys have been able to get, but without the pesky age restriction (62 or older).  And without the other pesky requirement of costing 80 bucks (I bought mine for $10 before the price went up in 2017).  It's a fantastic deal--I know I've saved over $1,000 with mine in the several years since I hit 62.

You can Google for the information on where and how to apply.  You have to apply for a Veterans' ID card.  Info is here.     For whatever reason, the listed acceptable documentation does not include a DD214, which vets are all familiar with, which has always been ironclad proof of your veteran's status.  But you send away and they'll send you a card eventually.  And apparently once the card is given, it's good for life, though again the text of the announcement could be much more clear.  Still, it's a wonderful thing to have, it's free, and you don't have to wait until age 62.  Of course, if you already have the Senior Pass, you don't need this, but for you youngsters, great thing. 

I'm waiting for my card. It's been since I could first apply (and pay) for a lifetime (at a discount). If that's when you turn 60, then that means it's been nearly 6 years. Still no "pass". Last I called, they said just have your ID and explain it to them. Is that any way to run an airline?

Lost my lifetime pass , don't do this as it's as if u never had one & have to apply from scratch. Lucky there is a BLM office (not the rioting BLMers) Bureau of Land Mgmt in this city. Had a new pass that day!