Knuckle guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolonial72

Reaction score
After reading this and that about hand guards, I decided to add a set of my own 2nd generation hand guards. They do add some comfort, probably about 5-7 degrees F worth or so. But the reason I'm making this post is to warn those who have aftermarket screens and want to add the hand guards. If your screen is more then +2 wide, you may want to revert to the factory screen. The handguards will bump against any screens wider than that when the bars are at or near either lock. At least, that's what happened to me.

Mine bump slightly if I go full lock, but it's not a problem I'd remotely consider removing the handguards for. It's not unsafe or annoying. Just another thing one has to remember when you farkle a bike from stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this and that about hand guards, I decided to add a set of my own 2nd generation hand guards. They do add some comfort, probably about 5-7 degrees F worth or so. But the reason I'm making this post is to warn those who have aftermarket screens and want to add the hand guards. If your screen is more then +2 wide, you may want to revert to the factory screen. The handguards will bump against any screens wider than that when the bars are at or near either lock. At least, that's what happened to me.
Mine touch, and I emphisize TOUCH only on full left lock. Barely enough to make the windshield flex. This is on an 04 with Cal-Sci medium.

I have the Gen 1 and later Gen 2 Vstrom guards and the "Big Mother" Rifle touring screen and they always touch near lock. What I always do out of habit, when starting out, backing out of the driveway, doing tight slow stuff, etc, is to raise the screen a bit so there is no chance of contact. I've done this for years with no prob.

Some people like more room than others under the knuckle guards.

I used my dremel to make mine nice and tight. I have a touring windshield

and now they don't touch...

349098108.jpg
349098105.jpg

349098099.jpg
349098092.jpg

349098083.jpg
349098075.jpg

349098061.jpg
349098056.jpg

349098051.jpg
349098043.jpg

349098032.jpg
349098021.jpg

349097997.jpg

Some people like more room than others under the knuckle guards.I used my dremel to make mine nice and tight. I have a touring windshield and now they don't touch...
Interesting! That's not the Yamaha touring windshield is it? Did you add that edging? My guards just barely touch my touring windshield, just enough to take out some of the slack in the mechanism.

I had one of the Harley girls at work tell me I'm gay for having those, and I told her "at least I RIDE my bike" - maybe she's odot's sister?

Definitely depends on the particular after market screen. I installed the Suzuki hand guards when my bike was wearing National Cycle's V-Stream, and I had to remember to raise the windshield slightly to be able to turn to the steering locks.

Then when I switched out the V-Stream for a California Scientific windshield, which has flared out into little "wings" at each side, steering was severely restricted even with the windshield fully raised. Fortunately, I live just an hour's ride from their shop and the owner was happy to pare down the "wings" to fit the hand guards...

Some people like more room than others under the knuckle guards.I used my dremel to make mine nice and tight. I have a touring windshield and now they don't touch...
Interesting! That's not the Yamaha touring windshield is it? Did you add that edging? My guards just barely touch my touring windshield, just enough to take out some of the slack in the mechanism.

I had one of the Harley girls at work tell me I'm gay for having those, and I told her "at least I RIDE my bike" - maybe she's odot's sister?
I ordered the Yamaha touring windshield. The windshield has a national cycle

stamp on it. The edging was bought on ebay from the "speed zone ahead" guy.

The knuckle guards came into play after being hit on my hand by a flying rock

on the highway. The edging does wonders by not letting a good % of rain or

moisture come over the windshield. My wife didn't understand why the FJR is

so quiet from the M109R we once had. She was calling it a whimpy bike-at first!

After 2 wheelies with her on the back and flat out just opening the throttle she

respects the bike like a handgun!

Last edited by a moderator: