Kudos To Klaus

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heber Guy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I got the full zoot Wilbers shock during the first group buy about 18 months ago. 25,000 miles later the shock was leaking about the main shaft and handling was getting slightly iffy. My thought was man this is going to be a hassle to get fixed and let's hope I don't need to argue about the warranty.

Called Klaus at Wilbers and explained the problems and decided to go with a heavier spring and a rebuild. Well, about 3 weeks go buy and the shock shows up looking like new with a new spring. The bike feels better than it did when the shock was new and had the softer spring.

Total charge $50 for the spring, $20 for shipping and rebuild covered under warranty.

I am very happy all the way around with the shock, service, relatively quick turnaround and pleasant business relations.

Thank you Klaus for selling a good product and thanks again WC for putting this together for us.

Al :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Glad to hear. Will be sending Klaus my Wilbers for a rebuild sometime in the next few months. I figure after 60,000 miles, that poor shock deserves a little TLC.

Glad to hear. Will be sending Klaus my Wilbers for a rebuild sometime in the next few months. I figure after 60,000 miles, that poor shock deserves a little TLC.
Be sure to ask Klaus about the optional long-travel kit for traversing the whoops out on the playa.

Be sure to ask Klaus about the optional long-travel kit for traversing the whoops out on the playa.
An ex-freaking-jarhead with a sense of humor. Will wonders never cease?

:tease:

You guys can get so close to the truth without knowing it. Ya, I was a Marine also and the shock saw some rough use. On the Haul Road going to Prudhoe I was playing Mr Dirt on the FJR and hit a big hole so hard I did a Flying W so big it would have made some of the DVD's out now. The FJR needed both wheels straightened and the top shock mounting bolt was bent. To its credit the shock still performed and did not leak for another year. The FJR just kept going and the much maligned ME Z6's held air for another 5000 miles.

Al

My Wilber's developed a leak a couple weeks ago. It started after a cold snap and the temp dropped to 0 degrees for a few nights. I'm planning on pulling the shock once I put the bike away (should hit 40 today) and was wondering how the warranty repair would go. Looks like it won't be a problem.

I'm also contemplating a run up the Haul Road on my FJR and was wondering if any FJR pilots here had any experience they'd be willing to share.

Al, I've sent you a PM....Man I love this list.

Derek

Last edited by a moderator:
Why folks wanted to pay others to do what was a warranty item still baffles me....

Regarding the Wilburs, my re-build awhile back seemed to return to me a soggy shock. I heard things about too soft of a spring or a sagging over time spring.

Whats the consensus on the spring issue?

I'm finally riding the bike like I used to, and I don't like the shock at all anymore.

Thanks,

GZ

Can't speak for everybody, but I think it was a combination of underestimating weights and flaky spring. Mine was rated as 616 and think it was supposed to be a 650 or a 700. GP put an 800 on it and not yet tested it. Going by Chapman these Eibach springs are supposedly better.

Don't imagine 25,000 and over a year on mine part of the first GB would be covered under warranty....that's just crazy.

Well, My Wilbers only has 17k on it. I don't like the thought of being without an FJR for 3 weeks. I think I should buy another FJR so I never have to go without.

I had to do some adjustment to the top of my shock after I got it. He had me set the fixed pre-load stiffer than the factory setting. There were a few guys who frowned on that as a cure, and it certainly may not apply in your case, but it worked great on mine. he was working on the assumption it wasn't set properly at the factory, not just randomly crankin her down!!

I live 20 minutes away from "Aftershocks". I was unhappy the way my Wilbers set up after the install. I have heard from others about the spring being too soft, both in front and rear. Well an evaluation at Aftershocks comfirmed this. My rear spring was factory set to 18 out of 22 clicks telling me right there not enough spring. The fronts are progressive so they are too soft initially. Phil, owner of Aftershocks, said this is common for Wilbers to set up their shocks this way. So the alternative is to have the fronts fixed and the rear spring replaced. I know I could take it off and send it to Klaus, but the time and inconvenience for me is not worth the effort. I can have mine done and professionally set up in two days. A little more money but worth doing business local.