learned some things about dropping the bike today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
first, drop it when there are lots of people around to 'help' pick it up. Great conversation starter

second, drop it while standing still, easier on the landing

third, the bike seems to insist that I drop it an even number of times on each side, otherwise the 'other' side gets jealous.

that is all.
rolleyes.gif

Your bike must have Barcolepsy it's known to cause otherwise perfectly healthy bikes to take spontaneous Dirt/Asphalt naps.

eh, the 2009 has 46K miles on it. Dropped it four times in 4 years. Over 2 mph, I am doing OK :)

Better to drop it standing still than at speed. Dropped mine on a group ride, just filled up with gas, pushed it out of the way for another rider, must have bumped the side stand with my foot. Next thing I know I'm on the ground looking for a hole to hide in.

Mathematical law, do unto one side as you do unto the other. Dropped mine twice on the right, once on the left. Another left is now imminent.

Sounds like your bike is Bi-polar.
smile.png
I haven't joined the club yet and with luck I won't pay the dues neccesary.

Dave

Dropped mine a couple weeks ago when my wife swung her right leg up and over the topcase while gettn off the bike. Jerked it to one side and I couldn't keep it up. These are heavy bikes, tuf to avoid drops. All dismounts are with kick stand down from now on.

I've never owned a bike that challenges me so while parking, backing etc. At 65 years old but with decades of experience, so far I haven't dropped my 09 after 35,000 miles. But because I'm so tenuous on it while tip toeing in the parking lot I bought sidebag protectors and have on order fairing protectors. Would like to hear what damage you guys experienced on your drops. Mine was dropped by previous owner, sidebags not installed. Dent on muffler, scrape on motor, scrapes on side panels, mirror bent in but still useable. Bill

Hi, I'm Lkld, and I'm a dropper.

Pulled into the garage, wife's car wasn't in, so thought I would do a u-turn. Hit the water left from her air conditioner and down on the left side. A small spot on the mirror, light scratches on the top of the fairing ( I think those came from trying to pick it up, but sliding on garage floor instead. Garage floors are slick!), and bottom of motor cover. Saddlebag not a scratch. I really thought it would have been worse. Checked repair shop...$360. I'll live with it, no one notices but me anyway.

After that many times I hope you don't develop "dropsy";

1. Urban Dictionary: dropsy www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dropsy

A person who is prone to dropping, misplacing or breaking objects as they travel through a room.

Not riding through rooms are you?
    smile.png

I once almost dropped mine but managed to save it, that was about 3 years ago. The hemmoroid that shout of my ass has almost disappeared.

Note: When filling your tires and you have to give it a push a couple of feet to make the valve accessible, don't be a smart guy and leave your sidestand down. Their might be a blue jelly bean glued to the pavement that will trip your sidestand back unbeknownst to you.

I've never owned a bike that challenges me so while parking, backing etc. At 65 years old but with decades of experience, so far I haven't dropped my 09 after 35,000 miles. But because I'm so tenuous on it while tip toeing in the parking lot I bought sidebag protectors and have on order fairing protectors. Would like to hear what damage you guys experienced on your drops. Mine was dropped by previous owner, sidebags not installed. Dent on muffler, scrape on motor, scrapes on side panels, mirror bent in but still useable. Bill
Dropped mine on the lawn. No damage 'cept for a grass stain on the left frame slider.

If you have to tip toe, the bike is too high for you, imo. If possible, get it lowered/lower the seat height/wear thicker soled boots. I managed fairly well on mine with the stock seat set to lower position, but putting the Corbin on made it much easier to flat foot.

Still, I'm real careful about gravel/sand/oil in parking areas.

I once almost dropped mine but managed to save it, that was about 3 years ago. The hemmoroid that shout of my ass has almost disappeared.
Note: When filling your tires and you have to give it a push a couple of feet to make the valve accessible, don't be a smart guy and leave your sidestand down. There might be a blue jelly bean glued to the pavement that will trip your sidestand back unbeknownst to you.
I always put the bike on its centre-stand to check the pressures. The rear is obviously easy, the front I can pull round.
Also, to get a accurate pressure reading, you don't want the air falling to the side :) .