• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

LED 4 Emitter H4 Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hey Folks - we recently did a pre-order deal on some 4 Emitter LED H4 "bulbs" that we've been testing out. We've been getting very good feedback so far on them, and will be doing another pre-order, and I wanted to share that offer with y'all here on the FJR Forums as well.

These units put out 2200 Lumens (high beam) and only use 20 watts of power. With the four emitters, these also have a very good pattern compared to other units. A great option if you're looking to add a bit more output and free up a lot of watts. On a two headlight bike like the FJR, these will save almost 80 watts of power, which can be better used to for additional lighting and to stay warm
smile.png
. We have a number of folks that have been testing these on FJR's and the feedback is very good.

Here's a quote from one FJR tester:

The spread of light on low beam is wider and has more distance than stock, plus the..."quality" of light is 100 times better. Much more illumination, much more definition. Standing in front of the bike while parked and while it is rolling towards you while on low beam is not "painful" at all. The lights are more noticable but not painful, I don't anticipate pissing off other drivers at all.
High beam; Impressive doesn't even begin to discribe it. Over stock there is more illumination, much more distance and much more clarity. When combined with my brand X auxiliary lights under the mirrors the amount of light in front of the motorcycle is unbelievable. There is a hill at the end of the street that is well over a 1/4 mile away, as the bike came up the hill toward us with the high beams on there was just this wall of light approaching. It was something out of a science fiction movie! As the bike crested the hill the light to the observers was more than blinding, it was down right painful. From the riders perspective the obserervers being blinded, covering their eyes and turning away could be seen with absolute clearness and clarity. Bryan said it best, "With great power comes great responsibility..." On high beam this set up can be dangerous to on coming traffic.
The pattern with the 4 emitters is the best I have seen. The only issue I've heard reported with stray light in the FJR housing, is when one high, there is a single stray beam that is pointing upwards. The headlight boots will need to be trimmed to fit around the fan. Or, in some cases you can turn the part that goes around the stock base inside out and squeeze the whole boot over.

Anyway, pre-order pricing for these is $45 each, including priority shipping to US addresses. They will start shipping about 2 weeks from now. They are available in 6500k and 3000k temps. The 6500k is super white, and the 3000k is yellowish like a stock bulb. From feedback the 6500k appears to give more apparant light. The 3000k is good for poor weather and a look closer to stock. I run a mixed set on my bike, and it really makes the bike very noticeable while giving a wider light spectrum. They include H4, H6, H6M and HS1 bases and come with H4 connectors attached (not pictured).

If you're interested in getting in on the deal, please email sales <at> ledrider.com and reference this post, along with the number of units, color desired and shipping address. Payment will be via PayPal.

-Product Info-

2200 Lumens

3000k or 6500k colors

20 Watts power draw at 12v

Now the fun stuff, pictures
smile.png

Here's what's in the box - These units are easier to mount than others. Simply mount the H4 base, then slide in the LED and twist lock into place.

10495357_921138764596836_7699122139106084814_o.jpg

Here's a representation of the optional colors. (3 emitter model, but same colors)

10930873_895881880455858_6089942118750442300_n.jpg

Two 6500k units in an FJR with a set of CW Krista lights and some halogen lights on the forks.

10997693_10101801327237937_8338033140209540525_n.jpg

Here's the unit mounted in the FJR housing:

10002958_10205287288014467_4090768071510262533_n.jpg

Here's a 3000k mounted in a Honda NC700x, along with a set of LEDRider LR4's on the bottom and a set of Optimus Spots up top
smile.png

11075912_10152612023091266_1343522188_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, has someone finally got it right with respect to LED replacements? I don't think I will be an early adopter but will be watching very closely for the feedback you get on these. Good luck with them!

There is no question in my mind that LEDs are the future of automotive lighting. It just remains to be seen whether somebody will come up with a replacement that has both the required luminosity and the geometry that will work with a reflector designed for incandescent bulbs.

Since someone has apparently successfully mounted these in an FJR, I assume there were no issues with respect to space for the fans - I understand the need to trim the headlight boots to accommodate the bases. I suppose its far too early to know how the fans will last; especially in the potentially wet environment of a motorcycle. I would hate to have lifetime limited by the fans! (Are fans replaceable separately for a modest cost?)

I'll chip in here, as that is my dirty FJR in the picture above.

I delayed installing these for a few days because I had heard so many horror stories of fitting them into the FJR, esp. the right side, without removing the nose.

Undaunted, I picked a Saturday morning, laid in a supply of KY Jelly for inserting hands into tight places, and dived right in. In the end the left was more difficult than the right because the left was the first and I was learning the process, and I got lucky.

Whip out the old bulb, fit the appropriate "ring" to the new one. Go carefully there are three to choose from and only one is correct. Trim the dust boot and fit it over the emitter. Get it in place before you stick the whole lot in the housing. THE WIRES ON THE FAN GO UP. The only real tricky bit is securing the clip that holds the bulb in. It's a pain to get it around the retainer, but it goes on eventually. Push the dust cover back in place and make the connection ... Done.

The right bulb appears to be tighter for access, and I'm sure it is. It seems to be a matter of angles, and getting the forks far over to the left to give room. In practise it was easy. Small hands or pure dumb luck ... not sure, but it went in fast.

With the dust boots fitted all you can see are the fans and the wiring. Looks neat and seems to work well.

Road Test ... Just done a short test so far. A few miles in a mixed urban/rural setting. First thing to note is that the bulbs are noticeably brighter than stock. Doing the "crouching down to see where they blind you thing" suggests there will be few issues on Low Beam. So it turned out. I am also running the LR5s @ 10% on low beams. Those plus the new LEDs caused no issues. No one flashed me and the light output is great.

Turning off the LR5s showed that the LEDs were quite a big improvement on the stock halogens, and the beam pattern is just fine if it doesn't annoy others.

For riders who only occasionally ride at night, and who stick to decent roads, this upgrade might be the only additional lighting they would want.

Hope that helps

ps ... the KY remained unopened. I guess I'll have to find another use for that now :D

Some comparative beam cast photos of low and high beams against a wall will help alieve much of fears that many of us will have about these.

Some comparative beam cast photos of low and high beams against a wall will help alieve much of fears that many of us will have about these.
I agree, and I'll get some as soon as I can. That said, causing other motorists to be distracted is more important than a beam pattern. So far, so good with these.

ps ... I have no dog in this hunt. I bought them and I like then, is all.

The HIDs on my V-strom gave me trouble in the beginning, but seem to have stabilized. If they go, I will definitely spring for these LEDs. However, 4700K would be the BOMB, or I might have to settle for the 3000K.

What does Warchild have to say about these?

...causing other motorists to be distracted is more important than a beam pattern. So far, so good with these.
Absolutely agree about the first half, but the two things are inextricably related. It is a bad beam cast that will cause oncoming motorists to be distracted. You can get a really good idea of how much scattered light there will be by looking at the beam cut-off in the low beam pattern photos.

I am an early adopter for a competitor's product that has 3 LED's in a triangular pattern. The light pattern is not great, particularly on high beam where the light is brighter but the pattern exactly the same as the low beam. I think the issue is that all the LED's are located in the same place along the length of the bulb "stick". I am curious as to how the 4 element LED is better and am very interested in seeing some patterns.

I agree. For the 4 LED version if the upper two LEDs (which reflect off the reflector to become the low beam) were at the low beam depth and the bottom two LEDs were at the high beam depth it would be a great compromise, kind of like having the low and high beam filament lit simultaneously on the halogen bulbs. The only big question would be what holes might be in the beam pattern then.

I agree with what was said earlier, LED is the future. Not having a scientific background, or even thought processes, it would help to see photos of the beam pattern, without any other light sources other than the LED's. I'm interested in these, and will keep an eye on this thread.

Thank you Justin, for the offering.

As someone who tried, and did not like the HID conversions headlights I find this interesting. But too chicken to be an early adopter.

Good work on pioneering this Justin.

Thanks Twigg. I really want to see these. I still have some PIF HIDs waiting to be installed, but if these throw clean light and are more reliable, well...

I wanna see what they look like first. Especially if I have to trim something. Since I've never had my lights out, exactly what does trimming the boot mean?

Sorry, but I'm ignorant on this stuff.