• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

LED auxiliary lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finished the install and am happy. The PMW dimmer does pulse at low settings but works fine. I have not experienced different auxillary lights but I can say these are bright little fellows and at a dead stop the pulseing is not all bad. It stops pulseing once you apply a little throttle. Thank you Alex and thank you Forum!

I don't want this to turn into an appendage measuring fest.
oh, big time agree

and I apologize not being clear and repeating I have the Krista up top and the Glendas down below

I was answering the question of wiring for effect high and low beam and amps concern even though the power comes directly off the battery

I'm tickled there is an alternative to HID's and deeply hope Alex's lights fill the niche for a less expensive option on LED running riding lights.

I'm strongly recommending LED lights...not any particular brand. And am excited that these may be the ticket for others.

My motive was to point out all the cool features I enjoy with the Kristas/Glendas hoping to tickle some of you "electron geniuses" to come up with engineering these features/options in the Alex product. Yes, Clearwater provides an absolutely great and proven product that's turnkey and can successfully be installed by a lowly mechanical engineer who believes if he can't grab/touch it, it doesn't exist (electrons included).

Not to jinx or stress anyone, I'm interested in the long term testing of the lights as that's always a concern with stuff mounted on motorcycles. Many sets of running lights, both the lazerstar halogens and some OEM and 3rd party lights for my 4 wheel vehicles were problematic over time. Lenses were basically prone to breaking glass, seals were flat or O ring which leaked over time, etc. Then the question is can parts be purchased to replace things needed. I sincerly hope everyone finds the Alex lights durable and worthwhile.

I really barely a dog in the hunt...the Clearwaters 18mo ago were the only LED's in town and I found halogens and anything else not a good idea with a lowish stator output Gen I.

But decent LED lights are the cat's meow IMHO. I have no qualms about riding at night on the open road...in fact, many times I prefer it when my bipolar shoots me a bit manic in the excitement of a road trip and I'm not gonna sleep anyway. No cops, little traffic, just some trucks moving along in the right lane. The lights are not blinding, there's no flashing me, but folks see me coming and get out of my way to the right lane like never before.

Granted, it's more dangerous in the fact that the rider cannot see down the road at any debris or obstacles like in the bright of day, but the lights put out enough that I don't fret over that.

Best to all and I'll quit posting as this IS a for sale thread on Alex LED lights.

Maybe someone needs to open another thread in Parts & Access to discuss how it's going and just leave this one on what's for sale and how to buy it

Best to all,

Mike

in Nawlins'

I installed the PMW dimmer but it really is just an on and off switch. I went to the web site and they said it was not made for vehicles that are grounded. So I guess I am still looking for a good dimmer. I just did not want others to repeat my mistake. it was still a good try.

I just ordered a set of the 1500 for the forks. I don't do a lot of night riding, so these will mostly be for visibility during the day. Now I just need to re-read this thread & do some other searching for the correct way to hook these up. It looks like a call to Eastern Beaver is in order as well.

Thanks for the excellent deal Alex. Keep us informed if you find a dimmer.

Chad

1800's arrived today, so it looks like I have a project for tomorrow after work. FF50's will be removed and these will be put in their place. Can't wait to try them out.

1800's arrived today, so it looks like I have a project for tomorrow after work. FF50's will be removed and these will be put in their place. Can't wait to try them out.
Low can you tell us how the 1800s stack up against the FF50s please? I am thinking of swapping them out.

Thanks
Will do. I'll try to remember to take before and after photos of the beams (from pilot seat) and oncoming for each. I have the FF50's mounted on Garauld's brackets (as seen here).

Low can you tell us how the 1800s stack up against the FF50s please? I am thinking of swapping them out.

Thanks
Uhhh...they're bright. Really bright. Didn't have a chance to see the difference on a dark road yet, but I think I'll like them. Need to adjust the angle tonight since I just kind of slapped them on there and did a rough adjustment.

I also couldn't get good before and after photos. It was raining when I got home, so it wasn't the best time to take photos. I did get some from inside my garage, for all the good that does.

Hella FF50:

My%20Photo_2.jpg

Alex's LED 1800's:

My%20Photo_4.jpg

Mounted:

My%20Photo_6.jpg

My%20Photo_5.jpg

Trigger:

My%20Photo_7.jpg

All hooked up I wanted to see how they looked. Many retinas were burned in the taking of this photo:

My%20Photo_8.jpg

An interesting study on LED vs. HID's effectiveness (intensity, beam spread, efficiency, yada yada yada) regarding snowplow hazard lights.

https://www.lrrb.org/PDF/200829.pdf

Probably not news, but some issues about conspicuity of note:

"Viewed directly from the rear, side, or front of the plow vehicle, it appears that LED

based strobes can be made to be equally conspicuous while reducing the costs associated with

high power, maintenance, and reliability issues.

However, the above benefits are limited by the problems associated with angularity of the LED

lights. The LED lights were shown to be equally conspicuous as the standard strobe at well

defined angles only. The reduced conspicuity at off angles is a direct result of the angular

intensity variation of the LED devices due to the lenses used to increase the intensity at the front,

back, and side of the plow vehicle."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this thread has certainly been interesting reading , and re-reading. For someone like myself who hasn't added anything extra electrically to the bike outside a cigarrette lighter socket, I am gratefull for all the input you guys put in. Pro's and Con's. I do a lot of night riding, but the thought of auxillary lights never dawned on me. Alex's lights look like the cat's meow. Just placed my order for the 1800's for a high mount.

Thanks again for the mountain of information folks.

Mike

I finally was able to order in more lights. I now will have 4 variants. The latest version are 3200Lm CREE LED's! :blink:

I've also implemented free shipping on orders over $80.

I finally was able to order in more lights. I now will have 4 variants. The latest version are 3200Lm CREE LED's! :blink:

I have the 4LED models mounted on my fork - oncoming cars hate them much more than the old 'half power' 3 LED lights they replaced. They are way too bright (without a dimmer)and have no beam cutoff to be used at night 'on road'

I have the 4LED models mounted on my fork - oncoming cars hate them much more than the old 'half power' 3 LED lights they replaced. They are way too bright (without a dimmer)and have no beam cutoff to be used at night 'on road'
How do you have them aimed? Low mounted lights should still be aimed downward to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic. They really are of no use in illuminating the roadway from way down on the fork lowers. Just useful for added conspicuousness.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah they are pointed lower than the low beams, but I think you're right about the effectiveness of lights mounted that low.

I have the 1500 lumen version from Alex mounted down on the forks and have had them for a little over a year now. They've been completely trouble-free (use a lot of Loctite on the bracket's screws). Despite the low position, they do a good job of illuminating the road and have been very useful in picking up eyeballs of critters just off the road. Mine are aimed below the low beams and create a "splash" not too far out in front of the bike, but I'll still get the occasional flash from oncoming drivers simply because they are so bright. No dimmer as the main purpose for these lights was conspicuity.

Since you asked Alex, let me first establish that I have a set of your lights and I love them. I have a ton of good comments and have a referred a lot of people to you. The best dimmer I have found is at www.ADVMONSTER.com. It along with your lights has performed flawlessly. I bought this style.

Waterproof Wireless LED Dimmer with High Beam Bypass

Alex,

Not sure if I am being completely goofy and mixing up vendor sites, but I thought you used to have a "mirror mount" bracket available on your web-site to go along with these lights but I don't see them now. Am I mis-remembering?