• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

LED auxiliary lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp, this here product offering from Alex has motervated me to re-install the (highly illegal in Kweebeck) Chinese telescopic HID headlights back into my bike.

So now it's just a matter of deciding which strength (not as good as HID aux lamps) LEDS that I want to choose to supplement those highly inefficient, clearly inferior, illegal HIDs.

Man... sometimes, the world is your oyster.

Last edited by a moderator:
got them in two days.... now just to figure out how I want to wire them in..

Um.. How about something like this?.. :whistle:

PVC_Insulated_Wire.jpg

:finger:

Mine arrived today! They are hefty little suckers. :D

IMG_1229-e1304098832558.jpg

Looks like I might need to splice a bit of extra wire in to span the distance from the fender to the glovebox...maybe. I plan to link these to my switched barrier strip behind the glovebox, which is also powering my GPS and grips. Seems to be the easiest option, but if someone's got a better idea, feel free to pass it along (I'm not an electrical expert, lol). I do not think full-time "on" from the fender is going to hurt anything as far as other drivers, but I suppose I could always go out and find a dimmer switch and install that inline somewhere.

I got this wireless dimmer from the competition Clicky. This wireless dimmer is also available from other sources without the weatherization.

Unfortunately, I have also paid more for the lights before they started being discussed here at the FJR forum. I have my lights mounted on Gerauld brackets. Very happy with them.

There is a wealth of information at the ADV site on these lights, mounting, wiring etc.

Mine arrived today! They are hefty little suckers. :D

IMG_1229-e1304098832558.jpg

Looks like I might need to splice a bit of extra wire in to span the distance from the fender to the glovebox...maybe. I plan to link these to my switched barrier strip behind the glovebox, which is also powering my GPS and grips. Seems to be the easiest option, but if someone's got a better idea, feel free to pass it along (I'm not an electrical expert, lol). I do not think full-time "on" from the fender is going to hurt anything as far as other drivers, but I suppose I could always go out and find a dimmer switch and install that inline somewhere.

I had enough wire to go from the fenders to a relay and switch near the battery. Unless newer ones come with a shorter wire?

I had enough wire to go from the fenders to a relay and switch near the battery. Unless newer ones come with a shorter wire?
I have my barrier strip mounted on the rear face of the glovebox...I probably could've stretched it a bit, but instead I brought both of the lines up to where my relay is (front face of glovebox) and tied them together to go from 4 wires to just two...and then hooked those up to my strip.

One word on these lights...bright! I'm thoroughly impressed by the amount of light these things throw out, even at fender level.

My first test run demonstrated that I needed copious amounts of loctite on the bracket's screw...lost one of the nuts and started illuminating the side of the road, lol. On the second test run, after loctite and a new nut, twas rock solid. :D

I love this Forum and I just ordered the lights. Thank You. I am going to purchase the dimmer switch that Cibrd0wn found, great find Thanks. What would be the easiest power option so the lights are powered when the bike is turned on? Should I get a Fuzeblock? I have GPS but I use the glovebox and it seems to be fine. I don't plan on adding (yet) anymore electronics. I would appreciate your thoughts?

I love this Forum and I just ordered the lights. Thank You. I am going to purchase the dimmer switch that Cibrd0wn found, great find Thanks. What would be the easiest power option so the lights are powered when the bike is turned on? Should I get a Fuzeblock? I have GPS but I use the glovebox and it seems to be fine. I don't plan on adding (yet) anymore electronics. I would appreciate your thoughts?
A fuzeblock would be the easiest, but possibly the most expensive.

The less expensive route would be to snag a 12V relay and just use a switched 12V signal (like from the heated grips connector) to trigger the new relay. Wire the power source direct from the battery and run the output from the relay to your dimmer / switch, then the lights. There are lots of posts showing the 12V relay pinouts as this is a common way to wire up aux lights. The only thing you'll be doing different is going thru the PWM dimmer first.

If you want to go the cheap route, a barrier strip and relay! https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=25

Relatively simple to create and install (finding the mounting points is usually the toughest part (that website refers to a Gen I placement IIRC), the barrier strip I installed powers the GPS, the lights mentioned here, and my heated grips...power is not available until I turn the key. The relay is mounted on the front side of the glovebox and the barrier strip to the rear side of the glovebox (exterior faces).

Anyone know where to pick up a dimmer dial such as this one?..............

dimmerdial.jpg
So I found out where this dimmer switch comes from.....it is one that comes with a set of Clearwater lights. I called Clearwater and they told me they do not sell this switch seperate.

Does anyone have one of these switches lying around that you did not install with your Clearwater lights or does anyone know how else I might be able to acquire one? I just want the switch to accompany Alex's LED lights.

If you want to go the cheap route, a barrier strip and relay! https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=25

Relatively simple to create and install (finding the mounting points is usually the toughest part (that website refers to a Gen I placement IIRC), the barrier strip I installed powers the GPS, the lights mentioned here, and my heated grips...power is not available until I turn the key. The relay is mounted on the front side of the glovebox and the barrier strip to the rear side of the glovebox (exterior faces).
IMHO, purchase an aux light harness from Eastern Beaver, hook the coil switch terminal off the lighting relay to the headlight relay that only turns on when the engine is running - green wire with blue stripe.

https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/tom3.html -> under the right side top black panel, find the green with blue stripe wire

there's reports that they are clamped neatly to the bike and that needs to be cut/removed to free up the wire

I use a "posi-tap" to connect the proper terminal from the lights relay to that wire

It's also a good time to decide if you want the disable the auto retract of the windshield: https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=12

One side of that plug is hot only when the key is on...it may be white with blue stripe, but I honestly don't remember

I use a "posi-tap" to connect switched power using that wire.

for the switching of the wiring harness relay for the Halogens,

I use the headlight relay power wire under the nose so they can only come on when the engine is running

just like the headlights. Power to the lights themselves comes directly from the battery.

You will need a wiring harness with a relay.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Aux_Lights/aux_lights.html

you can also make one which I did for some halogens I sold recently...I can send pics of that harness

electrical parts are all from Radio Shack...but doing it again, I spent >$40 on parts for homemade (very good stuff though) and Eastern Beaver can be bought for $55 and it's top notch components, better than I used

I recommend them...here's what you need:

Regular Kit - fits most Auxiliary Light installations - Light Leads 31.5" (80 cm) PRICE: $42.95

Fuseholder battery connect

2 female bullets

LED Rocker Switch Wiring, includes jumper and 36" ground with Posi-Tap. -> $5.95

SPST ON/OFF Rocker Switch - $7.49

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Switches/switches.html

I'll include male bullet connectors in with the lights for installing on the light side wires.

These will connect with the above harness's female connectors.

When I check price less shipping...$57 for eastern beaver

Anything I can help with...please only use email: mholiver at cox dot net...as I don't use PM's

rgds

Mike

in Nawlins'

Latest posts