LED Cornering Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWWobble

Reaction score
Question from long time forum "lurker" and Gen II owner....

For those of you with 2016 ES with LED cornering lights, is that feature always on, or is there a way of turning the cornering lights off ??

??? is there a concern or question about them ?? not understanding the reason for the question.
smile.png
(could be its early and i have not had enough coffee, lol)

WWWobble, if you are asking if the actual cornering lights are always on, I believe the answer is no; however, if you're asking if the "cornering lights" feature is always on, then yes. I'm a 2016 ES owner and being that my seating position puts me behind these lights, I cannot be the expert on this; however, my understanding is that the feature is always on but the lights only illuminate whenever the lean angle reaches preset limits.

I do very little after-dark riding so I haven't seen the feature but trust that if needed, it will be there. ...Don

WWWobble, if you are asking if the actual cornering lights are always on, I believe the answer is no; however, if you're asking if the "cornering lights" feature is always on, then yes. I'm a 2016 ES owner and being that my seating position puts me behind these lights, I cannot be the expert on this; however, my understanding is that the feature is always on but the lights only illuminate whenever the lean angle reaches preset limits.
I do very little after-dark riding so I haven't seen the feature but trust that if needed, it will be there. ...Don
Correct, from what I have read.

I noticed the standard LED lighting on my 2015 is better at night than the 2008 bike. It does seem to throw some more light closer in front of you when riding at night. I do quite a bit of night riding. Just my analisys. The 2015 LED lights are constantly on all the time.

Dave

So has anyone with a 2016 actually taken their FJR for a ride at night? I'm curious on the effectiveness of those CORNERING LED LIGHTS because that's actually an important reason I'd consider upgrading for. I ride a lot at night on curvy roads and it's such a pain when traffic approaches and I have to dim my high beams, at which point I'm almost blind looking through the corner.

So has anyone with a 2016 actually taken their FJR for a ride at night? I'm curious on the effectiveness of those CORNERING LED LIGHTS because that's actually an important reason I'd consider upgrading for. I ride a lot at night on curvy roads and it's such a pain when traffic approaches and I have to dim my high beams, at which point I'm almost blind looking through the corner.
Depends on how you handle the curves because it is dependent on lean angle. An acquaintance who has a 2014 was riding at night with a 2015 rider. He told me that his friend leaned into a curve at night and he was quite surprised - in a good way - when the cornering lights came on.

Hello all, and thank you for your info and comments.

Got it, the cornering light "feature" is always on. I don't ride much at night, so that isn't a consideration. Reason for asking is (1) just to confirm that I understand how they work, i.e. illuminate at certain lean angles, and (2) I have to wonder how annoying that might be on back country, many curves, roads when I'm following another rider.

#2 is somewhat an academic question, but I do wonder about it.

Again, thanks for the responses. My Gen II is at 114,000 miles, and at this point I'm sort of leaning toward replacing it with a 2016 A model.

Depends on how you handle the curves because it is dependent on lean angle. An acquaintance who has a 2014 was riding at night with a 2015 rider. He told me that his friend leaned into a curve at night and he was quite surprised - in a good way - when the cornering lights came on.
Am I understanding that the cornering lights are on the 15? I thought the original question was about the 16!

So we're clear...LED headlights started with the '16 model year with the cornering lights an extra for the ES version.

--G

My Gen II is at 114,000 miles, and at this point I'm sort of leaning toward replacing it with a 2016 A model.
Might be a moot point as I don't believe the '16 A model has this feature, only the ES.

Edit: -G picked up on this quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I understanding that the cornering lights are on the 15? I thought the original question was about the 16!
Exactly right! Make that a 2015 and 2016.

My Gen II is at 114,000 miles, and at this point I'm sort of leaning toward replacing it with a 2016 A model.
Might be a moot point as I don't believe the '16 A model has this feature, only the ES.

Yes, understand the 2016 A version does not have the cornering lights feature, and comes with "conventional" suspension.

Yes, understand the 2016 A version does not have the cornering lights feature, and comes with "conventional" suspension.
But is still an awesome example of an FJR......just a couple less "bells and whistles!"
punk.gif

Exactly right! Make that a 2015 and 2016.
16 only in the us, not the 15

the 15 did not have the led headlight, thus no potential for cornering lights.
smile.png