LED Cornering Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cornering lights are brilliant! I commute in the dark mornings all winter long. The cornering lights are very nice and I notice them especially when turning at dark intersections. It's also pretty cool to watch them sequence on the garage wall during startup.

'Bout time u get rid of that old '06 fer a new bike; of the exact same colour! ;)

I use me a redneck cornering light mahself...

headtorch_zpsqa7qagg2.jpg

Illuminates where I look.

So has anyone with a 2016 actually taken their FJR for a ride at night? I'm curious on the effectiveness of those CORNERING LED LIGHTS because that's actually an important reason I'd consider upgrading for. I ride a lot at night on curvy roads and it's such a pain when traffic approaches and I have to dim my high beams, at which point I'm almost blind looking through the corner.
Depends on how you handle the curves because it is dependent on lean angle. An acquaintance who has a 2014 was riding at night with a 2015 rider. He told me that his friend leaned into a curve at night and he was quite surprised - in a good way - when the cornering lights came on.
Am I understanding that the cornering lights are on the 15? I thought the original question was about the 16!
Exactly right! Make that a 2015 and 2016.
16 only in the us, not the 15

the 15 did not have the led headlight, thus no potential for cornering lights.
smile.png
FYI,

The 15 does have LED lights but they are on all the time. They do not sequence like on the 16.

So has anyone with a 2016 actually taken their FJR for a ride at night? I'm curious on the effectiveness of those CORNERING LED LIGHTS because that's actually an important reason I'd consider upgrading for. I ride a lot at night on curvy roads and it's such a pain when traffic approaches and I have to dim my high beams, at which point I'm almost blind looking through the corner.
Depends on how you handle the curves because it is dependent on lean angle. An acquaintance who has a 2014 was riding at night with a 2015 rider. He told me that his friend leaned into a curve at night and he was quite surprised - in a good way - when the cornering lights came on.
Am I understanding that the cornering lights are on the 15? I thought the original question was about the 16!
Exactly right! Make that a 2015 and 2016.
16 only in the us, not the 15

the 15 did not have the led headlight, thus no potential for cornering lights.
smile.png
FYI,

The 15 does have LED lights but they are on all the time. They do not sequence like on the 16.
really, you're going to call that the same ?? so the 15 has the same led headlights as the 16s ?? or the same assembly as the 16 ??

some of you guys sure love your alternate truths, guess the led are cornering lights, so the 16a has them too, and the 16es has 2 sets !!

Last edited by a moderator:

https://youtu.be/ZuD9qCAWoUo Japanese but video is self explanatory

LED Corner lighting offered on 2016/17 ES model only. The 2016 A model got LED lighting but not cornering lighting. The LED lighting on 2013-2015 is for accent & parking lighting only. Yes it is on when the bike is running but the lumens thrown from these LEDs is minimal nothing like the 2016/17 ES models that truly illuminate the cornering area.

From the yamaha website.

Additional Features:
•Heated grips come standard on the FJR1300A and offer riders even more convenience.
•Subframe-fitted quick-release luggage mounts provide easy use of the standard accessory hard sidecases†, which are conveniently matched to the ignition key.
•Slim profile even with bags in place for excellent in-town maneuverability.
•The windscreen adjusts over a wide range for improved wind protection with little negative pressure and the adjustment speed is now twice as fast, and the screen holds its position when the key is turned off.
Sharp, “two-eyed” headlights with daytime LED running lights add to visibility and modern styling, and feature easy-access adjustment knobs so the rider can adjust the lights up or down.
•Glove box contains a 12V outlet for phones, GPS units, electric vests, etc. Standard tool kit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.

The 2015 ES "daytime LED running lights" look badass when the key is on and the engine's not running. I'm sure they look badder-ass than anyone else's.

They are not particularly helpful when cornering at night, however.

Fred you own one of the bikes in question
rolleyes.gif
They are hard to see from sitting on the seat. Turn the key one click and walk to the front of your bike, let us know if the lights on your bike are LED or not? they are white when you look for them
smile.png

Sharp, “two-eyed” headlights with daytime LED running lights add to visibility and modern styling

Fred you own one of the bikes in question
rolleyes.gif
They are hard to see from sitting on the seat. Turn the key one click and walk to the front of your bike, let us know if the lights on your bike are LED or not? they are white when you look for them
smile.png
Sharp, “two-eyed” headlights with daytime LED running lights add to visibility and modern styling
I believe Fred was commenting on the headlights (not the LED accent lighting on the 13-15)... the 16 was the first year for them, along with the LED tail lights

'Bout time u get rid of that old '06 fer a new bike; of the exact same colour!
wink.png

Hey there BanjoBoy, you still piloting that slush box Yamaha down the Quincy Road at Warp 9? You don't need cornering lights, y'all arrive before dark !!

'Bout time u get rid of that old '06 fer a new bike; of the exact same colour!
wink.png

Hey there BanjoBoy, you still piloting that slush box Yamaha down the Quincy Road at Warp 9? You don't need cornering lights, y'all arrive before dark !!
All them fine Quincy roads is buried in snow, so I'm busy doing other things...

tumblr_o0d8c6ejkQ1u7gnm9o1_500_zpsqhgaqxek.gif

Plan'in on going up to the City of Ten Thousand Buddha fer lunch, them maybe take 253 over ta Booneville, then 128 back to Cloverdale 'n home. ;)

Did a part number search for the led lights with turn flashers, comparing the 15A to a 16ES, they are the same part number. The wire connector is the same p/n as well.The LED cornering lights should be able to be enabled on other models and years.

15A & 16ES Front Flasher Light Assy 1 1MC-83310-10-00

Could someone with a 16ES service manual do some investigation and see if there is just an extra part in the LED running light portion of the circuit

I see that this would not be like the stock 16ES

Nevermind, It looks like you could change out the entire headlight bucket on earlier models, but you'd have to rewire the bike for the LED headlights as well as the added cornering lights. Not worth the effort, IMO..