LED running lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
I noticed that the FJR has two round blanks on (in) the outer extreme corners of the headlight assembly. the thought his me that this looks like it would be the perfect place to install running lights so the headlights do not need to be on all the time. Infact, I would bet that they are used for just that in some of the farther corners of earth.

So, the question is has anyone used these area to install running lights? Would high power LED's work to get cage drivers attention instead of the regular headlights?

If anyone has done this, please post pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both headlights and high power LED driving lights to increase my visibility. We have enough electric power to drive both and still operate other accessories, so why the concern with shutting down headlights? As you can see, I also drive on the wrong side of the road, so I need all the help I can get. :blink:

clearwatercrop.jpg

So, the question is has anyone used these area to install running lights? Would high power LED's work to get cage drivers attention instead of the regular headlights?
Well documented at FJRTech as a farkle in the special links we do on the forum.

I installed a set and wouldn't say thought that it get's cage drives attention that much though....just accent lights compared to a good set of aux. lights. I'm sure there's a picture or two of my white/blue lights here.

Super go to the FJRtech web site to get part numbers and PM me your email address. I will send some pictures of my bike. I made the mod simple so as not to require to much wiring. The biggest issue is that the small bulbs get very hot and if you get them to close to the clear cover they will burn it and melt it. I am going to buy a new assay when I find one on ebay cheeper then $200. By the way just so you know that was the original design from Europe.

I use both headlights and high power LED driving lights to increase my visibility. We have enough electric power to drive both and still operate other accessories, so why the concern with shutting down headlights? As you can see, I also drive on the wrong side of the road, so I need all the help I can get. :blink:

clearwatercrop.jpg
You are just BARELY over the line so I think you're ok! :p

AAAHHHH, the FARKLE page. I now see the light (figuratively).

The idea is to install lights bright enough to get cage drivers attention without changing the FJR's lines. My other bike is an old ('92 w/220,000 miles) BMW K100RS with the full euro wiring that lets me shut off the lights. I would like to shut off the main headlights to save power when coasting down long hills. Currently, I have to turn off and on the key so the lights shut off as the kill switch does not turn off the headlights (which is a good thing if you are using it at night.)

I would probably use more powerful LED's though since I am looking for something about as eye catching as the main headlights. I am also in the process of getting the omnidirectional LED bulb replacements for the brake/tail and turn lights. The main point is limit current draw from the battery. I just wish there was an LED replacement for the headlight itself. I am still on the fence about the HID systems though, at least those have roughly the same core shape at the point that light is formed for the reflectors to work with.

... when coasting down long hills. ...
Hope you keep your engine running. Quote from the Owner's Manual:

CAUTION:

Even with the transmission in the neutral position, do not coast for long periods of time with the engine off <snip>. The transmission is properly lubricated only when the engine is running.

I would like to shut off the main headlights to save power when coasting down long hills.
[palm to face]

Congratulations. I've never heard that one before. Is it Friday yet?

[/palm to face]
My thoughts exactly. Doesn't the bike actually generate power while you're riding? Where does all of the saved power go?

I have an AE, so I don't know anything about coasting.

I would like to shut off the main headlights to save power when coasting down long hills.

I don't beleive in coasting. Its either gas or brake. :assassin:
God, if it was ONLY Friday.

Two wackiest things I've read on the board in weeks. Makes for good entertainment while I take a break from watching "Archer".

Makes for good entertainment while I take a break from watching "Archer".
I'm on a Top Gear binge.....Season 8. Those Nigels are frickin' funny.
I went through netfix's offerings of seasons 2-whatever recently. That's a great show, and it's particularly fun to juxtapose old and new episodes, only to notice they look older but act the same.

mmmmmmm zonda!