Lesson learned: Go easy on the key when opening/closing panniers!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if there's any correlation between people that do their own maintenance, and broken keys?
My guess would be an inverse correlation. More personal PM, fewer broken keys.

Those that do their own maintenance are more likely to be in tune with the mechanical details of their bikes, be aware of sticking or resistant locks, and know how/when to best lube them for increased longevity.
That was my thought..

Ham fisted users are going to have problems
I've bent my key a bit multiple times. I know exactly how soft it is because I've straightened it multiple times. Now, I know you're thinking I'm a ham-fisted dumbass, but that dog won't hunt. I have over 50 years experience passing mechanical aptitude tests, including building and flying a complex aircraft. I have a car hoist in my garage and haven't paid anyone to work on any of my vehicles since I was 18. About 5 years ago I relented and started paying for tire mouting, but only on my cars, not on the bike or the skidsteer or the dump truck. I tell you all that to assure you that relieving the strain on a latch before turning a key comes as naturally to me as taking a leak after drinking beer. I take from the comments that some keys are softer than others. Water remains wet. :)

I suspect that some of the issues are related to getting water (and dirt) into the mechanism. Some riders are less concerned about riding in inclement weather (or storing bike outside).

The ignition switch has a keyhole "shutter" designed to limit ingress of water. On my bike, the shutter works sporadically. Over the years, slight "misses" with key insertion has bent the thin sheet metal inward preventing free movement of the spring-loaded shutter. I have bent it back out a few times with a small flat-bladed screwdriver but it doesn't work as well as it might.

Does anyone know if this part of the ignition switch can be replaced without replacing the whole unit??

How about locks that get sticky or bind up? After riding in the rain for a few hours, the locks on my bags were very difficult to turn. What's the recommended lubrication for the locks?

Ham fisted users are going to have problems
I've bent my key a bit multiple times. I know exactly how soft it is because I've straightened it multiple times. Now, I know you're thinking I'm a ham-fisted dumbass, but that dog won't hunt. I have over 50 years experience passing mechanical aptitude tests, including building and flying a complex aircraft. I have a car hoist in my garage and haven't paid anyone to work on any of my vehicles since I was 18. About 5 years ago I relented and started paying for tire mouting, but only on my cars, not on the bike or the skidsteer or the dump truck. I tell you all that to assure you that relieving the strain on a latch before turning a key comes as naturally to me as taking a leak after drinking beer. I take from the comments that some keys are softer than others. Water remains wet.
smile.png
ogopogo, you’ve articulated this far better than I ever could.

I take great care of my bike (and keys!), yet those soft-cheese keys still bent on me. This is the only bike I’ve ever had such a problem with - all of my bikes had keyed-alike panniers, top boxes etc., so it’s not like I don’t know how to use a damned key!