Little Switzerland N.C.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gray ray

Reaction score
Went to visit the kids in Mooresville N.C. last week. Trailered the M/C and bicycles down. Picked the best day of the week for a ride by myself.

Ran into a W.E.R.A. racer that lived down at the end of the street. I asked him for some advice about some twisty roads near by.

He looked at me kinda strange, like this old fart can't possibly be a W.E.R.A. racer, so I showed him my 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, W.E.R.A. race licenses,

and we had an instant bond.

He told me about a place that he rides called Little Switzerland, but it has a lot of real twisty turns, steep hills, and blind corners, maybe not the place for an

FJR. Exactly what I'm looking for I told him.

Head West 0n 40 to 221 North. Then take 226A North to Little Switzerland. Then 226 North back to 221 South to complete the loop.

I rode the loop 3 times backwards and forwards. It starts to get a little crowded around noon, but early in the morning and late in the afternoon, it's great.

Weekends are not a good idea because of tourist traffic, but weekdays are terrific.

If anybody rides there be sure to stop and take some pic's and post them up. The little town is a great destination.

I think they call it the 'diamondback'. Nice restaurant right at the top of the hill. If you're in that area, head over to Shady Valley and ride the Snake.

I have been to the Snake three times since the tragic EOM.

The first time it was too early in the year and the whole route was covered with gravel and salt. NOT FUN !

The second time, I left Mooresville it was 69 degrees. By the time I hit Mountain City, Tn. the temperature was in the low forties and I wasn't dressed for it, so I turned around.

The third time, I hit Mountain City and was greeted by rain and hail. Again back to Mooresville. DAMM!

I will try again next year.

Do you know when the General Store in Shady Valley opens?

Great place to ride with good roads all around the area. Holler the next time you are down this way!

Was at the Snake yesterday. One lane was closed in part of it for work they would doing on the side of the road. Little later lane closed again due to pulling suv onto flatbed with a police car lights in the road. Got to the store and only one bike there about 1:30pm. There appears to also be a restaurant diagonal across the street too. Stickers and patches now at the far back of the store instead of at the counter.