Lock for the Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedPorscheKilla

Reaction score
Hi all,

I plan to buy me a top case soon, the last piece I think I need to call my FJR complete. I recently got me the Corbin Smuggler, so I'm truly looking forward to those additions.

So here come my question, can I buy the locks separately (So far I've seen them at a batch of three!)? How can I key them towards the given key, if that's possible. I think the Smuggler comes already with a lock...

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years ago I was looking for a lock but, like you, only found in pack of three. I posted in WTB and found someone that had one. I took it to a locksmith and they re-keyed the lock. Good Luck!

Red, don't under estimate the convenience of having a separate key for the ignition. It's real nice to have her warming up while you're packing all sorts of stuff in the other bags. Trust Me on that one. :)

Your bike came with the lock for the Yammy top box, so go kick the original owner's ass for not getting it to you.

The bikes come with three locks (thus the availability in packs of three) and on assembly, the dealer uses two of them for the side cases and [is supposed to] places the third lock under the seat for future use.

It has been said that some dealers keep the third lock to sell separately because either they didn't know the difference, or they hoped the buyer wouldn't know the difference.

But they are child's play for any locksmith to rekey.

Red, don't under estimate the convenience of having a separate key for the ignition. It's real nice to have her warming up while you're packing all sorts of stuff in the other bags. Trust Me on that one. :)

Thanks majimaker for this hint, it actually didn't occur to me, that it could indeed come extremely handy having a second key, while my FJR is warming up, I still can pack her.

Yes I didn't get that third lock, so I will soon have two to spare :yahoo: . Don't get me started on dealers.... boy I could fill pages with that one!!

Thanks majimaker for this hint, it actually didn't occur to me, that it could indeed come extremely handy having a second key, while my FJR is warming up, I still can pack her.

Yes I didn't get that third lock, so I will soon have two to spare :yahoo: . Don't get me started on dealers.... boy I could fill pages with that one!!

Go for the single key and carry two if you want to warm it up... but it is very convenient to have a single key working on all locks and ignition...