Locking Oil Cap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavFJR

Reaction score
Last year someone at my work found it funny to dump (little) rocks in my oil. With this sort of issue looming, I just purchased a locking oil cap from Touratech. For those that have the same concerns about ' willful oil contamination' here's the product link. It seems this item is so popular I'm currently on a waiting list...

https://www.streetline-usa.com/Store/1613/Engine-Exhaust

This is a bit more coin, but I kind of like this deterrent. Much more entertaining and you can just sit back and watch the new dance steps being invented! Linky

Last year someone at my work found it funny to dump (little) rocks in my oil.
Oh sweet jesus that would be such an ass kicking.
The problem is that you have to catch the asshat that does stuff like this... I have my suspicions, but...no proof. Funny thing, I work at a limited access facility - a lot of good it did. Luckly, I noticed the cap cross-threaded and dirt around the filler hole when I got home. In any case, this is all water under the bridge, and I just want to protect the bike from possible future attacks. At least now there's a product to help this issue.

The problem is that you have to catch the asshat that does stuff like this...
Nice thing about asshats, they can never keep their mouth shut.

Next time something like this happens. Don't say a word to anybody. Guaranteed Asshat will ask you if you ever found out who?

Then start swinging. If it wasn't them, they'll spill it in about .02 seconds.

Thanks for all the sympathy posts...I just try to take crap like this in stride anymore. Otherwise I’d stay constantly angry. I just see it as the de-evolving of society. Not much one can do but incorporate protection mechanisms to detour this sort of BS. I will post how well the cap works once it’s received.

Were I to catch someone doing this, or be able to 51% prove who it was, or even maybe 25% suspect who it was, that person would find how much I suck at anger management.

Wow...There would be an awesome class in advanced ass kicking. And then that son of a bitch would pay for the tow bill and the dealer's oil change.

Hi All,

Just remember that this prick is just a cowardly sock chuck-er! If it ever occurs again tell all who work with you what happened in the presence of the person you most suspect and use this occasion to belittle who ever you most suspect this coward to be without naming them. I think this would at least humiliate them and alert everybody to keep an eye out.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Not foolproof by any means and it won't stop someone really determined to mess with the bike. But after changing oil, I crank the filler cap tight as hard as I can by hand, put a rag over the cap and twist just a little more with a pliers. Makes removing by hand next to impossible.

I received the locking oil cap and thought I'd post my synopsis... The cap is quality made, but strictly speaking of value, it's a bit on the pricy side. In any case, it does offer piece of mind regarding securing the oil filler. My biggest grip is that I paid $75.00 for the thing, and Touratech makes you reuse the o-ring on the plastic Yamaha filler cap... "C'mon, Touratech, really???" One of my other concerns is that the direction say to retighten the 3 screws holding the lock mechanism every so many miles... So how 'really' secure is this cap? All in all, I feel better parking the bike at work now, and it not being vulnerable to anymore 'attacks'.