Long Beach Motorcycle show opens to a big crowd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKO

Reaction score
We went to the Long Beach convention center last night for the opening of the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show. My son is in the market for a nice mid-sized sporty bike with comfortable ergos and I wanted to see how I fit on some of the new models. He quickly honed in on the Suzuki wee-strom and Yamaha FZ6. I think he and his bride are considering the blue FZ6 as the front runner right now after boncing between the two a couple times. The Kawasaki Versys is not available in CA so it was MIA at the show. Ron, the owner of the self-proclaimed world's largest motorcycle dealer, Bert's, was not available to talk turkey on an FZ6, but word from a sales associate was that a leftover 2007 could be had for "below dealer cost" due to Yamaha dealer incentives and kickbacks.

I was anxious to sit on the new Buell 1125. Although the ergos are not as agressive as other crotch rockets, they're still not going to work for me. I am now impatiently waiting for the sport-touring derivative using that same motor. I talked to one of the design technicians on Erik's staff and he said they are focusing current production on the 1125 to meet anticipated demand.

My wife and I jumped on the new Victory Vision. That thing is an eye catcher for sure, but it seems to be a cross of a Goldwing, Ultra Classic and Vegas. Test rides aren't available until today, but it got my attention. My wife assures me the style will grow on me. We'll see.

Triumph had some nice customized versions of their Thruxtons and Bonnevilles on dispaly and there seemed to be a trend of showing more customs at the other OEMs as well - especially on the cruiser side of the house. It's easy to see why some of the custom builders, like Big Dog, are losing sales. The OEMs are definitely encroaching on their market segment with bikes like the Raider and the Rocker.

The black FJR A looked great as did the gun metal gray AE. We ran into one FJR owner there, but he is not a registered member of our forum, just an occasional visitor. My wife was wearing her CFO rally shirt but it didn't garner the attention of any other FJR enthusiasts.

I am due for a new helmet to replace my aging Arai Signet. I took advantage of a custom fitting from one of Arai's dealers at the show. The new model for block heads (long oval) is the Profile and, after numerous swap outs of the custom liners and cheek pads, found the right size combo for me. With price tags ranging from $439-$529, I must remember to include those details in my letter to Santa.

Yamaha had a panel of racers there for a group discussion and Kawasaki advertised Ricky Gadson? the drag racing king was there signing autographs, but neither were enough of an enticement to divert us from our meandering stroll through the other OEM displays. All in all it was an enjoyable 3 and 1/2 hours. I am writing from our hotel room and have not downloaded the pictures yet. When I get back to Wichita and get a chance, I'll provide a link to the Picasa site.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to the Long Beach convention center last night for the opening of the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show. My son is in the market for a nice mid-sized sporty bike with comfortable ergos and I wanted to see how I fit on some of the new models. He quickly honed in on the Suzuki wee-strom and Yamaha FZ6. I think he and his bride are considering the blue FZ6 as the front runner right now after boncing between the two a couple times. The Kawasaki Versys is not available in CA so it was MIA at the show. Ron, the owner of the self-proclaimed world's largest motorcycle dealer, Bert's, was not available to talk turkey on an FZ6, but word from a sales associate was that a leftover 2007 could be had for "below dealer cost" due to Yamaha dealer incentives and kickbacks.
I was anxious to sit on the new Buell 1125. Although the ergos are not as agressive as other crotch rockets, they're still not going to work for me. I am now impatiently waiting for the sport-touring derivative using that same motor. I talked to one of the design technicians on Erik's staff and he said they are focusing current production on the 1125 to meet anticipated demand.

My wife and I jumped on the new Victory Vision. That thing is an eye catcher for sure, but it seems to be a cross of a Goldwing, Ultra Classic and Vegas. Test rides aren't available until today, but it got my attention. My wife assures me the style will grow on me. We'll see.

Triumph had some nice customized versions of their Thruxtons and Bonnevilles on dispaly and there seemed to be a trend of showing more customs at the other OEMs as well - especially on the cruiser side of the house. It's easy to see why some of the custom builders, like Big Dog, are losing sales. The OEMs are definitely encroaching on their market segment with bikes like the Raider and the Rocker.

The black FJR A looked great as did the gun metal gray AE. We ran into one FJR owner there, but he is not a registered member of our forum, just an occasional visitor. My wife was wearing her CFO rally shirt but it didn't garner the attention of any other FJR enthusiasts.

I am due for a new helmet to replace my aging Arai Signet. I took advantage of a custom fitting from one of Arai's dealers at the show. The new model for block heads (long oval) is the Profile and, after numerous swap outs of the custom liners and cheek pads, found the right size combo for me. With price tags ranging from $439-$529, I must remember to include those details in my letter to Santa.

Yamaha had a panel of racers there for a group discussion and Kawasaki advertised Ricky Gadson? the drag racing king was there signing autographs, but neither were enough of an enticement to divert us from our meandering stroll through the other OEM displays. All in all it was an enjoyable 3 and 1/2 hours. I am writing from our hotel room and have not downloaded the pictures yet. When I get back to Wichita and get a chance, I'll provide a link to the Picasa site.
Thanks for the great report Mike, take your time gettin back here. Inch of ice on the roads, snow in the forcast next 3 days, temps in the 20's Damn you got good timing, Your frost bitten kansas bud. :( Stan