Long Way Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That said, electric is the future of motorcycling, although Charlie and Ewan will have to find a way to work around the LiveWire's limited 95 - 146 mile range.
Not any more than the reports from the past 2 shows where long days sometimes ended with the crew riding the bikes the rest of the way into the nightly stop when the "talent" decided they were done for the day.

Not any more than the reports from the past 2 shows where long days sometimes ended with the crew riding the bikes the rest of the way into the nightly stop when the "talent" decided they were done for the day.
They really did that? If so, that's some bullshit. I liked the first one. Long Way 'Round was cool. Long Way Down kind of sucked. If they cheated and rode in the dammed van, my opinion will be much lower. As if anyone cares, but still...crap!

They really did that? If so, that's some bullshit. I liked the first one. Long Way 'Round was cool. Long Way Down kind of sucked. If they cheated and rode in the dammed van, my opinion will be much lower. As if anyone cares, but still...crap!
I would need to see something more than someone posting a rumor on a forum before I passed judgement.

At the time, Mike Kneebone and a couple of other IBA Riders did their trip across China, they did the same route in the opposite direction a couple of weeks after the film crew did theirs. It's my understanding of reading the trip reports and comments at the time, that they were told this by the locals who saw it happen.

Since no one seems to be around who was around back then, I'm looking for the reports. For now, I've found the trip documented at the IBA.

Euro-Asia Coast to Coast (Pacific to Atlantic across Asia and Europe)

Sean J. Gallagher Richmond, VA 04/06/14 BMW R1150GS 20,384 Ireland - China

Roger Sinclair Richmond, VA 04/06/14 BMW R1150GS 20,384 Ireland - China

Michael Kneebone Chicago, IL 04/06/14 Yamaha Super Tenere 20,384 Ireland - China

I work in a company of 100 people and Id be hard pressed to get the real story on stuff consistently ...  No disrespect intended but the concept of some "local" telling some other dude who told his mistress (at the time) that ewan mcgregor was spotted in sometown mongolia passing by in a van while some other helmet wearing support rider was on his bike and that this happened across towns across countries across the planet consistently (not just one time when someone felt sick or needed a break) is a stretch.  

I've heard a ton of people over the years judging these guys on their decision to have support vehicles and/or any number of things ... Now someone somewhere is saying that they didnt even ride the thing in parts ...  

Ill submit a hearty "who cares ???"    These guys are rich guys, and i'd venture to say they have a lot to live for ...  Ill submit that if I had hundreds of millions of dollars that id probably opt for a support staff as well ..  I might even jump in the van for a leg or 2 if I was worried about my health or whatever ...  If I had to say "I rode 99% of it" Id probably be ok with that ...  

But these guys are well known to be passionate "riders" they dont have a reputation for being wimps ...  

But, as I said, who cares ...    I'd give anything to have done these rides. And I wouldn't give a rip what anyone said about it ...  

Now, riding Harley Davidson's ???   That is unforgivable and they should be punished  ...  Ill probably still watch and pretend they are KTM's though ...  

so, are they planning on using a 30 foot tether to charge bikes while cruising down the road? Like mid air refueling, but much much lamer?

so confused.😨

that is all.

Now, riding Harley Davidson's ???   That is unforgivable and they should be punished  ...  Ill probably still watch and pretend they are KTM's though ...  
I don't think they would ever use KTMs. They tried to get KTM to sponsor them the first time and KTM shit on them. That is how they got to the BMWs.

https://youtu.be/WYC6Ux5FaAo?t=2333

I worked the Sturgis rally for Harley and the response to the Live Wire was universally positive.  Now the range issue is something else to be managed.   How about a gas powered generator in the chase truck?  Depending on how they ride, they'd still have to stop every 2-3 hours for an hour or two in order to keep going but possibly do-able.

It would be a great publicity stunt for HD, since range is the number one and basically only concern for their current riders

I just watched the first 4 episodes on youtube. Pretty kool stuff. They did say at one point early on that one of the BMW's developed a couple of cracks in the frame. If you think about I believe the support trucks were more for the bikes not the riders.

Dave

I just watched the first 4 episodes on youtube. Pretty kool stuff. They did say at one point early on that one of the BMW's developed a couple of cracks in the frame. If you think about I believe the support trucks were more for the bikes not the riders.

Dave
First four episodes of what?  Long Way Down and Long Way Around are available but the Long Way Up adventure hasn't started yet...

Some of the comments at the end of that article are interesting. 

To call it an adventure ride in the conventional sense is a joke.  A fleet of support vehicles and (no doubt) gasoline powered generators.  Maybe just really long extension cords?  HD is footing the bill and they had better make a good showing.  I suspect the final content will be heavily edited and it will become a rolling advert for Harley Davidson.  I would love to see a truly practical electric motorcycle but the energy storage density is just too poor to provide the power, performance and range we can get with a gasoline powered vehicle.  Easier to do with a car because carrying an extra few hundred pounds of batteries isn't a big deal but would make a bike unmanageable.

I don't think they would ever use KTMs. They tried to get KTM to sponsor them the first time and KTM shit on them. That is how they got to the BMWs.

https://youtu.be/WYC6Ux5FaAo?t=2333

Yep, saw that when I watched it. That was sort of crappy. 

But I still love KTM. 

The bikes are premium. The company is a bit full of them selves often though. 

I would need to see something more than someone posting a rumor on a forum before I passed judgement.
I said, "If." Haha.. I don't know if that's true or not. IF someone came forward and reported that, I would feel differently about Long Way 'Round. I really liked that one and they made it seem like they busted their asses to complete it. I don't begrudge them the support trucks. Hell, I'd have as many as I could afford. However, if they had to bail out of the ride, saying, "We couldn't take it anymore and a support guy rode it the last 6 miles into town," I'd be ok with that also.

My opinion still stands. Long way Down is just not that good. What sucks is, I really wanted to see it and like it a lot. In my opinion, it is just ok. Lol!!

All they need is 4 or 5 bikes apiece, and switch out as they discharge. Dead bikes go onto the truck to charge as the truck follows along.

It'll only take about 15 times the fuel of doing it on gasoline-powered bikes!

And an army for a support crew. 🤣

I have a bridge to sell to anybody who thinks these two clowns are the "real deal," It's just another infomercial for Harley this time.

giphy.gif