• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for a rear wheel...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coachpilot

Reaction score
'17 ES. Don't care what color, even from other Gens, as long as it's a bolt on.
Mine is fine but thinking about putting the 3/4 baked tires on it for local highway slabbing.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Not sure of this but it's been talked that early ABS wheels will work you just have to change the ABS ring. Thoughts anyone?

Not sure of this but it's been talked that early ABS wheels will work you just have to change the ABS ring. Thoughts anyone?
Not 100% sure, but I thought that 2008+ could be modified for '04 to '07 ABS, but not the other way around. I have no direct knowledge, but I remember a fairly recent discussion...

ABS Wheel Discussion - Link

(Post #6)

Here's the deal. Starting in the 2004 US models all the wheels have a machined shoulder on the left side of the front wheel and the right side of the rear wheel. The toothed ABS ring was pressed onto that shoulder from 2004 & 2005 on the ABS models, and in 2006 & 2007 for all models when ABS became standard. But even the non-ABS 2004 & 2005 models wheels have that machined shoulder.

Beginning in 2008 thru present the ABS ring changed to a flat magnetic ring that is retained by three screws.
All wheels (front and rear) from 2008 thru present still have the machined shoulder, but also have three raised bosses on the hub with threaded holes for those screws retaining the ABS ring.

So, all wheels (front and rear) from 2004 US thru present are backward compatible to the 2004 thru 2007 scooters because they all have the machined shoulder to retain the pressed on toothed ABS ring.

But the early 2004 thru 2007 wheels (front and rear) are not forward compatible to the 2008 thru present scooters because they do not have the thread hole bosses to retain the flat magnetic ABS rings.

Also different year wheels are different colors.

As a warning, the 2001 thru 2003 wheels, before ABS became available, Do Not have the shoulder machined on the hub castings.
Also 2001 thru 2003 brake rotors are smaller diameter than the 2004 thru present brake rotors when ABS was available.

dan

Last edited:
So someone couldn't drill and tap for the later ring?

Nope, the retaining screw bosses for the flat magnetic ABS rings are not within the existing 2004 -- 2007 wheel hub diameter. The bosses are raised lugs cast on the later wheel hubs outside the previous wheel hub diameters.

Someone with the desire and means and skill might fabricate and TIG weld some raised lugs to an earlier wheel to adapt the later ABS rings, but that is beyond me. And would it be worth the effort??

dan

I have a 2007 abs (silver) and a 2015 abs (black). Both have rotors. PM if interested. Thanks, Dan

The 2007 wheel will not mount the 2008 and later ABS rings, brake rotors are not the issue.
While the 2015 wheel would mount the 2004 - 2007 ABS toothed rings after removing the flat magnetic ABS rings.

dan

Nope, the retaining screw bosses for the flat magnetic ABS rings are not within the existing 2004 -- 2007 wheel hub diameter. The bosses are raised lugs cast on the later wheel hubs outside the previous wheel hub diameters.

Someone with the desire and means and skill might fabricate and TIG weld some raised lugs to an earlier wheel to adapt the later ABS rings, but that is beyond me. And would it be worth the effort??

dan
Old machinist tool maker here, I'd like to have a late model wheel to compare and see if feasible. My only problem is my friend with the mill moved to AZ so would have to do by hand.

Some of you guys that just can't take the easy route are getting to be a lot of trouble.
You may have to click the files to display.

928 is a 2004 - 2007 front ABS wheel without the Toothed ABS ring installed (same as any 2004 - 2007 wheel)

929 is a 2008 or later front wheel without the Flat Magnetic ABS ring. Note the three threaded lugs for mounting.

930 is the same 2008 or later wheel with a 2004 - 2007 toothed ABS ring on the machined shoulder.

The ball is in your court!!

dan

Attachments

• P1000928.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 0
  • P1000929.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • P1000930.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Seems like the easy thing to do would be to head to eBay and get the correct year range. Bike rears are typically easy to find - fronts not as much

Sorry Dan Copper & Oldjeep, it's how my mind works. In my short 130,000 miles of FJR ownership I've bent three rims. I have only owned an 07 and it's all I know. I'll go back to my corner now. Thanks for the pictures Dan.

Sorry Dan Copper & Oldjeep, it's how my mind works. In my short 130,000 miles of FJR ownership I've bent three rims. I have only owned an 07 and it's all I know. I'll go back to my corner now. Thanks for the pictures Dan.

Man, you really need to watch where you're going! But so should I, I've bent a rim before, too.

My point is that any FJR wheels (other than 2001 - 2003) will fit your 2007 scooter.
The toothed ABS ring is a light press fit on the machined shoulder of the wheel and is (at least mine was) easily removed with light prying. Then pressed back onto the new later model wheel if it doesn't have one already.

Depending on how badly bent a rim is, there are shops who claim to be able to straighten them. Although I'm not personally familiar with any of them. Might not be less expensive than a replacement wheel but might mean the difference in having a wheel or not when replacements might be in short supply.

dan

Seems like a lot of discussion here . The OP is looking for a rear wheel for his 17ES. I have a 15ES wheel that also works on a 09 , I've swapped them so I know the speedo works fine. The 07 will not work on the 09, different setup. Toothed vs magnetic ring. I also have the front wheels for the same years. Am I missing something? Dan ( not Cooper)

Y'all have been very helpful while only getting slightly into the weeds. Everyone's input shows how cool this site is. Thanks for the help as I got a few PMs to follow up on. Happy Holidays.

Am I missing something?
Nope, you aren't missing anything. the OP asked for a wheel - any color as long as it is a "bolt-on", which I interpret as not wanting to procure parts or modify the wheel in order for it to work. Quite simply, any 2008+ wheel will do it (preferably with the brake rotor). (Which is what I said in my first response.)

'04-'07 ABS are not (easily) forward compatible although '08+ are backward compatible by swapping the ABS ring. This is really only a viable solution if someone has a broken '04-'07 wheel that they want to replace with a later one (transferring their ABS parts). Useless for someone who wants to have a spare wheel for using up old tires or Darkside. Same with the brake rotors - do don't want to be swapping them between wheels whenever you make a change.
Note: Not sure if Yamaha sells the ABS parts anyway - they don't list it separately for '04-'07 but do for later wheels.

Edit: Your 2015 wheel would work just fine.