Looking for a torque wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just looking at making a purchase on the above for use on the FJR and need advise on a good brand. There are a heap on the market just looking on E-Bay so is it fair to say the higher priced ones are better quality??. What are you guys using and what can you suggest. I guess i need either 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive.

Regards

Gazza

I have three, all Crafstman brand. 25-250 inch-pounds, 10-70 foot- pounds, and a 20-150 foot-pounds in 1/2" drive. They are "ok" quality that has served me well for many years, but you can't calibrate, you can only compensate for error as they get older. Higher end torque wrenches can be sent in and adjusted. I check mine periodically for accuracy and they seem to be holding up well.

It's tough to find a one-size-fits-all torque wrench. They all lose accuracy towards the extreme ends of their ranges, so you really need at least two to cover the needs of the FJR. My 1/2" drive is used to cover the high torque required for the rear axle nut, for example, but would be out of range for torquing the pinch bolt.

A big part in the longevity of any click-type torque wrench is how you store it. I keep mine in their blow-molded packaging so they don't roll around in the drawer and always return them to their lowest setting.

I also use a Craftsman 3/8" 5 to 80 pound. About the only thing above that on the FJR is the rear axle nut which I do by feel. IMO the greater use for the torque wrench are the nuts/bolts that have low values, like the axle pinch bolts on the forks. W/O the wrench you'd probably over tighten those.... That's why I think the smaller wrench is the place to start.

I also use a Craftsman 3/8" 5 to 80 pound. About the only thing above that on the FJR is the rear axle nut which I do by feel. IMO the greater use for the torque wrench are the nuts/bolts that have low values, like the axle pinch bolts on the forks. W/O the wrench you'd probably over tighten those.... That's why I think the smaller wrench is the place to start.
I have the smaller 3/8" Craftsman as well for the smaller items. I also have a big clicker from harbor frieght. IMO, +/- 5 lbs on a bolt that takes 90 Lbs isn't an issue :lol:

I did the $300+ overkill with Snap-on. This thing does audio, buzzer, and digital simultaneously, Going to get the oral sex app. when it becomes available. This thing will Immediately teach you how easy it is to over torque with a clicker

for the daily stuff on bikes, I use Harbor Freight of which I have all 3...1/4, 3/8, & 1/2 which run on sale for $10 to $13 with sale coupon or 20% coupon. Granted, I wouldn't use them for head bolts which requires more precision than axle bolts, but they've been just fine for the 7 years I've had them. I'm fortunate (well, I think so) to have a store 10min away.

edit: found a coupon (code) and it's next post below...good till Aug 14, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
here's a coupon, coupon code good till Aug 14, 2013

9027996341_63a6629e28.jpg