loose screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofizz

Reaction score
Hi fjr gang

Just a report on dealer BS. When I picked up my new fjr last month I asked the dealer to put on the taller windscreen and to check the lock screws on the bags.

(thanks to the forum for the info). I should have waited on the windscreen since the Yamaha taller screen vibrated too much and did not improve things much so I put the original screen back. As I was putting the old screen back on I discovered they had broken the clips on the front bracket and had tried to glue them back on, one remained one had fallen off. When I took it back to the dealer I got a new bracket and I told them I did not see any locktite around the base of the bag lock screws. I was told that if you see the locktite you have used too much and everything was fine. I don't know why I believed them, but said OK and took off on a 1200 mile trip. Good news, I checked the lock screws one night on the road and found them half way out. Found a Kragen auto store the next morning and got some locktite and a cheap torx tool kit for the fix. Don't know why I did not do this when I bought the bike. Naive!! Just wanted to believe the shop manager was not a lazy lying SOB. When I got back I confronted the guy and asked to explain and he claimed the bag locks are installed by Yamaha and the missing locktite was their problem. I won't be returning to this shop. If I do need any work on the fjr does anyone have a suggestion for service around Orange County in southern California? By the way, after 3000 miles this month I still can't stop jumping on this bike every chance I get. What I joy!!

BG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha of Cucamanga (YOC) - Rancho Cucamanga They have an excellent FJR mechanic there. Many have had their valves adjusted there & other repairs, including myself....

I was told that if you see the locktite you have used too much and everything was fine. I don't know why I believed them, but said OK and took off on a 1200 mile trip. Good news, I checked the lock screws one night on the road and found them half way out. Found a Kragen auto store the next morning and got some locktite and a cheap torx tool kit for the fix.
+1 on the bag lock screw problem! I have a new 08 (bought in July) - and I came home tonight to find the screws completely out as well! Off to get some locktite and torx tool kit... that kind of crap just shouldn't happen on a new bike. It's not that big of a deal - but still, it's a pain-in-the-ass...

and he claimed the bag locks are installed by Yamaha and the missing locktite was their problem.
My response would have been - "Well that makes you an outright liar or a complete moron. Which is it?"

Sorry to hear of your dealer incompetence and woes. It's just not uncommon. Some of them even mean well. Fortunately, you figured things out before things got worse. You may want to consider a letter to Yammie corporate detailing your problem and of course send a copy to the dealer.

Which screws are the ones that come off on the bags are they visible from outside? Where should I look?

Thanks in advance.

Serhan.

Which screws are the ones that come off on the bags are they visible from outside? Where should I look?
Thanks in advance.

Serhan.
The lock is installed in the 'flap' of the bag used for opening it, right? Well, look at the 'bottom' of the lock on the underside of that 'flap' You will see two little screws that are used to hold the lock to the piece of metal that locks or engages the bag mechanism. These are the two screws. They use a security (dimple in the middle) torx bit (believe it's T-10) you can get at any autoparts store.

It's critical that these screws are installed with locktite as per the written instructions to the dealer. If no locktite is used, the screws will work themselves loose and back out. Then it's only a matter of time until the lock falls out. Once that happens, your bag can open while riding, and you can lose the sidebag. It's happened.

I did mine shortly after reading earlier posts concerning this. I am learning with time that you really have to hammer the point home to some service departments. If they are strictly a Yamaha Dealership, then write a letter to Yamaha compaining. A lot of the multi brand dealers wouldn't get as much attention from Yamaha as they would give one of their solo dealerships. If you were in San Diego, I would recommend House of Motorcycles. B)

When I picked up my 06 I asked the tech if he put loctite on the lock screws and he said "Yeah, it was in the instructions to do so." Good answer.

So if your dealer didn't do that, what else did they do wrong? Not to mention he is a flat out liar. I'd write a letter.

I wound up taking mine back to the dealer - because the screw is a "safety torx" - and when I examined my other bag - one of the screws was already gone. My dealer was nice about it - and apologized - fixed on the spot.

Thanks again guys. After finding a security torx bit, I discovered mine were not "lock tite" 'ed either. I am not surprised really, in fact somewhat pleasantly surprised that the screws were on. Hah hah.

Anyways thanks again, now they are properly secured.

S.

. If I do need any work on the fjr does anyone have a suggestion for service around Orange County in southern California? BG

Do as much as you can yourself. I never turned a wrench in my life till I bought this bike. This forum is a grat source of detailed information to accomplish just about any routine maintance. I actually enjoy working o nthe bike now and its all pretty easy. If you have warrentee issue thats another story but deff try to keep your bike away from the dealer as much as possible.

I purchased my 04 FJR at Lebard and Underwood in La Habra. While I did all my own basic service, I used them for some of my bigger warranty work.

I do all the maintenance on my 05, with the help of this forum, fjr tech and fjr info.com. They have been a real good source of info. I have also learned to do all the service on my boat. I've also helped others with bikes and boats.

Had a great friend paying a top boat dealer in Spokane to do annual service for four years, towing it 150 miles to get it there. The fifth year, we did it and IMO the outdrive had never been pulled off to service, yet they charged him for it every year. Stealers will do just what their name implies and make no appologies for it. Most consumers will just assume, the product broke under normal wear and pay the same stealer for the repair.

Thanks in advance.

Serhan.

Here's ur pic from Mcatrophy:

Does this help?

1_DSCF5813.JPG

While on a trip from through the Redwoods in California I lost both lock screws on the left bag. I was riding with a group of four on California 299 to our stopping spot in Weaverville, CA. Two of us stopped for a break to change into cooler gear and the other two continued on. A little later we caught up to them and a local Leo had them stopped. We pulled over to wait while he gave them their performance awards. I happened to look at my left bag and the lock mechanisim was missing. I found it lying between the bag and the frame, but the screws had departed. Luckily I had a spare bungy with me and wrapped that aroung the locking mechanisms to hold them in place. I just got back Sunday and the dealer is closed Mondays, but I will be paying them a visit to ask about the locktite they used. The cost for my friends performance awards is unknown at this time, but they were written up for 83 in a 55. California highway 299 is a great motorcycle ride, but the small towns need revenue, so watch out.

+! on the bungies. I pulled over for a rest on a 300+ mile ride - about 1/2 way through - turned the key and it spun. Luckily - the screws were still there. I just finger - tight + bungie and it held until I got home. Took the bags into dealer (minus one screw on the left side) and they said they had to ORDER the missing screw!

Stupid, but annoying!

If your dealer did not loctite the bag lock screws, then he probably did not give you the third lock either. That third lock is important even if you never add the Yamaha top box because it is keyed to match your key and can be used to replace one of the side bag locks if that becomes necessary.