Lost Power

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gots a shit alternator or reg/rect pal. Should read 14.7 engine running. I'm thinking lost alt poles, as has happened on others.

Edit-this is with a fairly new Westco, and an Electrosport Alt installed this winter. With Widder vest and Heatroller running at 1/2 speed volts vary 13.9-14.7 like clockwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Datel has been wired up for about 6 months this way. With the bike warmed up and running at highway speeds (4500 rpm) my best readings are 13.9 - 14.0 with all farkles off. I attribute it to an old battery that won't accept a higher rate of charge. Perhaps I should look into it.

Brodie

Interesting. This pix clearly shows the flat of the spider contacting the female connector, not just the sides.

I'm really curious to see how my burnt junction spider looks. But I'm not touching it for fear breaking it - CrZy8 is still running.

IMG_0393.jpg

Local dealer informs me that Wiring Harnesses are on back order with no date listed, typically meaning they are having to produce more. Additionally, it is 'Golden Week' in Japan and most factories are shut down. Golden what? Long of short is don't expect any new harnesses until mid May.

I just may be riding the Ultra up to CFR... :blink:

Brodie - thanks for taking the time to make the voltage measurements and listen. Good to know the fuel pp audible changes with blinker/hazard load on a 'good bike' too. I'll keep riding CrZy8 as-is and take my chances until the fix can be done.

BTW - I read 14.1, 14.2 no load at approx 4k rpm on my super accurate X50 radar detector set to vdc mode. ~62k, oem battery, NOT wired directly to battery. FWIW.

Just as a further input, after reading some of the problems people have found with this "spider" connector, I had a look at mine to check it. As it happens, no sign of any problem (plastic still a good colour, "spider" still bright metal), this after some 14000 miles, 2 years 8 months, but ridden in all weathers, and sometimes left out in the rain.

This is the first time I've had the tank completely off, and whilst poking around, I noticed there were other of these "spider" connections.

This is the one that seems to be giving the problems, front left of the under-tank area:

(Click on any image for larger view)

There's one front right:

Two more on the left (I'm pretty sure at least one of these is associated with the YCC-S stuff):

One of the left side ones did show a little corrosion, not enough to cause any problems:

None of mine needed any attention, I just put some petroleom jelly in them when putting them back together.

Have my 06 AE back on the road. Yamaha of Cucamonga installed the New OEM main electrical harness. All functions worked like new wwhen I started the bike. FYI, there are 6 of the shunt grounds in the harness. Only the most forward connector near left of the steering head was corroded and burned. YOC guys did a great job.

Have my 06 AE back on the road. Yamaha of Cucamonga installed the New OEM main electrical harness. All functions worked like new wwhen I started the bike. FYI, there are 6 of the shunt grounds in the harness. Only the most forward connector near left of the steering head was corroded and burned. YOC guys did a great job.
Good for you, Turbo!

How did YOC handle all the extra electrical farkles? Did they re-install or you?

Good for you, Turbo!

How did YOC handle all the extra electrical farkles? Did they re-install or you?
they were careful to reconnect the farkles and did a good job, all the many farkles, worked as when delivered. FYI, I made another mod, I disabled the side kickstand kill swithch. one less electrical thing to deal with. :yahoo:

as a good friend of mine here told me about my non-functioning side stand switch:

his buddy forgot to retract his side stand and pulled out the gas station onto the interstate on ramp

unfortunately, he high sided as he merged to his left toward the right lane; ruined his whole day

re-connect that side stand safety switch, my friend...too many RIP's already with the good folks here in FJR cyberspace

+1 on the sidestand switch, it has saved my ass more than once on my Concours, I think it's a pretty good safety feature IMHO.

TurboDave,

First, CONGRATS!!! Did the Yamaha's customer service give your dealer grief about replacing the wire harness? On my bike they seem to want to replace every thing else (and the problem still persists).

I wish I lived near your dealer. My bike is now at the 3rd Yamaha dealer since last August (so far 4 months in the shop) and yet another electrical failure this weekend (~400 miles from home).

I sent this link to the customer service rep @ Yamaha's customer service asking why they just don't replace my bike's electrical harness and I was told that:

1) Yamaha's techies don't put much faith into what is said on the Internet forums...

2) I could mention to the new dealer to take it with Yamaha's technical support if they honestly thought replacing the wire harness would fix the problem.

Since the new dealer just picked the bike up yesterday, I do need to go give them a chance.... if this doesn't work, I am thinking about putting together a photo journey of my FJR across Texas and sent the link to Yamaha corporate... I am sure they would love to see the pictures of my bike on a flatbed :blink: :angry2: :dribble: !

Best Regards,

Shane

TurboDave,

First, CONGRATS!!! Did the Yamaha's customer service give your dealer grief about replacing the wire harness? On my bike they seem to want to replace every thing else (and the problem still persists).

I wish I lived near your dealer. My bike is now at the 3rd Yamaha dealer since last August (so far 4 months in the shop) and yet another electrical failure this weekend (~400 miles from home).

I sent this link to the customer service rep @ Yamaha's customer service asking why they just don't replace my bike's electrical harness and I was told that:

1) Yamaha's techies don't put much faith into what is said on the Internet forums...

2) I could mention to the new dealer to take it with Yamaha's technical support if they honestly thought replacing the wire harness would fix the problem.

Since the new dealer just picked the bike up yesterday, I do need to go give them a chance.... if this doesn't work, I am thinking about putting together a photo journey of my FJR across Texas and sent the link to Yamaha corporate... I am sure they would love to see the pictures of my bike on a flatbed :blink: :angry2: :dribble: !

Best Regards,

Shane
Shane, no issue on replacement. dealer knows my riding and rallying and upcoming 09 IBR and he is truly looking out for me to have the most reliablr motorbike!

Gonna jump on the safety bandwagon here. I agree that the sidestand switch is a feature well worth having. And the one on our FJRs is fairly non-intrusive as safety switches go.

As compared to the sidestand safety circuits on both a Ducati Monster and Aprilia Pegaso that I had (must be an Eye-tal-yun thing) where you could not start or run the engine on the sidestand at all, not even in neutral. At least the FJR allows that. Of course I figured a way to rewire both of those bikes to make it work like our FJR switch does in stock configuration.

TurboDave,

Best Regards,

Shane
Just noticed where you live, have you tried Cycle Shack North? If not, try them but, indeed, don't mention any internet info. The techs and service manager do give that kind of stuff the stink eye

TurboDave,

Best Regards,

Shane
Just noticed where you live, have you tried Cycle Shack North? If not, try them but, indeed, don't mention any internet info. The techs and service manager do give that kind of stuff the stink eye
BwanaDik,

My bike is now in Huntsville.... I need to give them a chance since they just got it and I am hoping the 3rd time (dealer) is the charm.

Depending on how this goes, I am starting to compose another email to corporate Yamaha with photos.... Yamaha's customer service in the US keeps telling me to give them a chance (like 4 months in two dealerships isn't enough) and they are still guessing. At least last time, corporate Yamaha sent the regional tech-rep and he assured me he was sure my problems were behind me .... well, it was was nice to ride while it lasted (~5 weeks).

Best Regards,

Shane

Krzy8's new harness has arrived, scheudling down time now.

Speaking with the dealer today, it appears mammaYamma now offers a wiring 'kit' that plugs into the existing harness and is used IF the original harness has integrity.

If fried, like mine, then the entire harness is replaced. I'll ask more as I see the dealer again.

Anyone else with the same experience e.g. harness 'kit'?

I had my tank off my '07 today to change the plugs (2nd time, this time at 36k, and they still look perfect). I took a look at three of the grounding connectors, the one that seems to be failing in the upper left, and one in the upper right and one in the lower left. All of them look good. I put some dielectric grease on just in case. Keeping my fingers crossed. :dribble:

I had my tank off my '07 today to change the plugs (2nd time, this time at 36k, and they still look perfect). I took a look at three of the grounding connectors, the one that seems to be failing in the upper left, and one in the upper right and one in the lower left. All of them look good. I put some dielectric grease on just in case. Keeping my fingers crossed. :dribble:
Smart man! :clapping:

Krzy8's new harness has arrived, scheudling down time now.
Speaking with the dealer today, it appears mammaYamma now offers a wiring 'kit' that plugs into the existing harness and is used IF the original harness has integrity.

If fried, like mine, then the entire harness is replaced. I'll ask more as I see the dealer again.

Anyone else with the same experience e.g. harness 'kit'?
Not here - will call Dealer monday. Please check it out. Maybe just a common grounding harness for the "point connectors" with the spider.

Gary in Fairbanks

I have an 08 and it has happened to me last Monday, left me on the side of the road thought it has something to so with the Ing switch being replaced. She started back up after an hour and I got her home, if it wasn't for this forum she would be at the dealer for who knows how long. Today I took her apart and found the same thing listed here. Now to fix it, sure is no room to work!

Steve

I have an 08 and it has happened to me last Monday, left me on the side of the road thought it has something to so with the Ing switch being replaced. She started back up after an hour and I got her home, if it wasn't for this forum she would be at the dealer for who knows how long. Yesterday I took her apart and found the same thing listed here. Not much room to work but I took it apart, cleaned it up added some dielectric grease put her back together and she fired right up. I have a plan to work around this issue, once I install it I will take Pic's and post my repair here.

Steve