Lowering Suspension Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki Re

Reaction score
Hi! I’m 5’4” and I own a 2010 Yamaha FJR1300. When I initially mounted the bike, I was on my tip-toes.  I would like advice on type of suspension kit to use and what’s the lowest I can safely lower it? Yes, I’ve already lowered the forks and the seat is on the lowest setting. I’m not trying to be flat-footed, I don’t want to lower it that much, I actually like the height of the bike. But I do need to lower it significantly so I can control it. Thanks in advance!

I like the Soupy's kit b/c it's adjustable so you can set it for you and play with it a bit.  In short order (a pun, Ha!) you'll have to modify the side stand.  Some folks bend it, others have it shortened and rewelded.  Whatever works for you.

https://soupysperformance.com/

Hi! I’m 5’4” and I own a 2010 Yamaha FJR1300. When I initially mounted the bike, I was on my tip-toes.  I would like advice on type of suspension kit to use and what’s the lowest I can safely lower it? Yes, I’ve already lowered the forks and the seat is on the lowest setting. I’m not trying to be flat-footed, I don’t want to lower it that much, I actually like the height of the bike. But I do need to lower it significantly so I can control it. Thanks in advance!
Ki Re,

Hey, flat-footed is good, too!  Getting feet on the ground will improve control.  There are several ways to get that going for you, some are not so obvious.  Mix-'n'-Match to suit:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1215889-post23.html

Rather than cutting, welding or bending the side-stand, some riders simply grind off a tiny bit, where the side-stand will hit the stop.  This lets the side-stand swing a little more forward, which can solve the side-stand issue on a lowered FJR.  If you do it that way, take it in small easy steps there, as it is easy to go too far with the grinder, and there is no easy way back.

Does the the lowering kit have any effect on handling  tire wear ....?...  A bit short in the pants myself  5’7”

Do try to lower the front and rear equally. This will keep the bike close to the stock steering geometry and not upset the handling.

~G