Maine Chowda Run

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S76

Reaction score
First things first.

A huge Thank You goes out to De Oppresso Libe… (CJ), and Fred W for starting and finishing the organization of this ride. It is perhaps one of the best, and most fun rides I have been on. Why, you ask? Because:

1. The weather was perfect. Temps in the high 60’s and low 70’s. Bright blue sky’s and enough of a breeze that there were very few bugs. The windshields even faired well.

2. My better half, Hope, came along and the ride was structured so there was plenty to see and do along the way. Stopping for eats and to see lighthouses combined with the gorgeous rugged Maine coast made each day a delight.

3. The group of riders we had worked especially well together staying together even through towns and a little traffic.

4. It was great to meet some of the North East’s and Canada’s most avid riders and put faces and names to the “handles” we know from the forum.

5. The last day, Sunday, found us in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park were we were left to explore on our own or in groups and even a few suggested routes were provided.

What could be better. Now, on to the not so instant replay.

Disclaimer: Pics are not very good because I don't know anything about cameras other than I noticed after all these pictures it was not set to "Auto", which is the only setting I know how to use. But you'll get the idea.

Our meeting point was at the Kittery Trading Post, were we collected about 19 motorcycles. I had no idea it was going to be this large of a group.

IMG_0107.jpg

After some introductions with too many names to remember, we were off.

It was less than a half of a mile when the Zumo was calling out “Off Route” Recalculate? I’m not totally sure but that has to be some kind of record for getting lost. I could be wrong. A couple quick turns and we were back on track to our first stopping point. The Nubble Light House. By this point we had grown to 20 bikes.

IMG_0122.jpg

Light House Lookers, George (Cota) Marcia, and Axeman (Chris)

IMG_0113.jpg

Next we headed for our first taste of Chowda at the Maine Dinner. By many assesments it was the first and best, never to be beaten the rest of the day. Next stop, lunch of course at the Clam Bake, with more Chowda..

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Onward to the Lobster Shack! Guess what we did there?

IMG_0131.jpg

Enough eating, We got riding to do!

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

The last stop for the day is the most photographed Light House in the Country, the Portland Head Light House.

IMG_0166.jpg

And while there I got a look at this 1964 BMW, all stock never refurbished, beauty with only 13K miles on it. Sweet.

IMG_0173.jpg

Next on the agenda.......................Dinner, with Chowda of course.

IMG_0178.jpg

From there it was on to Casco Bay Inn in Freeport, thus ending Friday, day 1. It was great.

Speaking of ending I'm done for this day also. Day 2 to be posted tomorrow night.

Looks like a great outing. How do you manage with so many in the group? I normally go out with 7 or 8 at most, and that is sometimes chaotic.

Looks like a great outing. How do you manage with so many in the group? I normally go out with 7 or 8 at most, and that is sometimes chaotic.

Probably about 75% of the riders had the routes in their GPS's so a little seperation did not create problems and we all grouped back together in another mile or so. Also, the ride leader would occasionally pause to make sure we were all still in formation.

It really worked out seamless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whaaaaaat?!! No Alison's?!?!?! :wacko: No wonder why the Maine Diner's chowder was a favorite! (Presuming, of course, you didn't stop at Alison's.) The Maine Diner in Wells is a favorite of many.

Glad you and Hope had such a great time. Hey, at least you got the date right on your camera! (See other RR)

Whaaaaaat?!! No Alison's?!?!?! :wacko: No wonder why the Maine Diner's chowder was a favorite! (Presuming, of course, you didn't stop at Alison's.) The Maine Diner in Wells is a favorite of many.
Glad you and Hope had such a great time. Hey, at least you got the date right on your camera! (See other RR)
No, no Alisson's. It happened to come along too soon after the Maine Dinner so it was bypassed.

But there is always next year.

I hope.

Day 2 of the Maine Chowda Run. From Freeport to Bar Harbor.

The day started off with breakfast at Mae's Cafe and Bakery. I don't know who found this place but it was spectacular. It was run by a young lady and the name "Mae" is her daughter. Cool.

IMG_0180.jpg

The offerings, including sticky buns that were excellent.

IMG_0181.jpg

And all the chow hounds, myself included.

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Stuffed after that feast we headed for Boothbay Harbor and Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

Pemaquid Point Light House

IMG_0202.jpg

WOW! That's a big one!

Hope, hold him right there while I go find a really big pot.

IMG_0193.jpg

There were a few more light houses and a lunch stop, (if you can believe that considering the breakfast we had) and we ended the day at the Bar Harbor Motel. Nice place, rooms not overly big but spotless as were the grounds. Very nice.

Now it is Sunday, the do whatever you want to do day. Which was nice. And we were even provided 2 GPS routes around the local area so we could explore. Nice touch.

Hope and I decided to go through Acadia National Park and to drive up Cadilac Mt. That park is very nice. Beatiful scenery.

IMG_0208.jpg

But not without a forest rat or three. "Look how cute he is." She says. Yeah, get a good up close look at him at 60 MPH and tell me what you think then.

IMG_0209.jpg

Thunder Hole is neat. The waves push the water into this hole and when it is full it thunders. The waves were small when we were there but they can be very loud at times spraying water high into the air.

IMG_0220.jpg

Beautiful coastline in the park

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

This is where we had to stop so Hope could gather rocks and sea glass. Again, just like the last time we were here, we traveled back to CT with about 10 lbs of rocks in the back case.

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

The view from the top of Cadillac mountain

IMG_0231-1.jpg

After the park we did the loop around Desert Island. It took you through some quaint little harbors like this.

IMG_0233-1.jpg

And the day ended with a Lobster dinner in Bar Harbor. Nice!

Monday we headed out about 07:00 to head home. About 2 hours into the ride we stopped for breakfast at a place called the Purple Cow Resturant. Hmmph, cute, I just want something to eat. Well get something to eat I did! Those were the biggest pancakes I have ever seen.

IMG_0238.jpg

Well that meal lasted us the whole day until we got home around 3 PM.

IMG_0239.jpg

The End..........................

Bob
Nice ride report. How many miles have you riden in the last few weeks ? :superman:

Hey Art,

Dunno exactly, but between the camping run and the chowda run it must be close to 4K miles. My brand new Stradas are half gone already!

Very nice pictures and narrative. Thanks for posting up!

Semi-random thought....

Man oh man .... last night watching the tube, a commercial came on for Maine tourism. The wife and I were out there last year and are ready to go back.

Another semi-random thought...

I'm starting to develop road-trip-itis...

No, no Alisson's. It happened to come along too soon after the Maine Dinner so it was bypassed.
But there is always next year.

I hope.
That's the plan, Bob!

Oh, and by the way, I found Mae's during my home research project....... all on the computer! Never been or heard any personal stories, just found it! I just liked how their website and menu looked along with a few reviews! I like to just "find stuff" and see how it is! Call me nuts, but I seem to stumble on good things this way! Must be karma or sumpin' :rolleyes:

And, I did put in a disclaimer in the original thread that I had no knowledge of the routes/places/etc.!

How was the Harraseeket place for dinner?

P.S. Don't forget your banner, Bob!

Latest posts