Massive Motorcycle Crash; North Phoenix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read an article recently on how carefully some defense lawyers will screen prospective jurors during voir dire, looking for weak-willed, wishy-washy people with no strong opinions about anything. The kind of people, like the assholes on this jury, who just couldn't bring themselves to convict the guy for "just an accident." Damn, move it to Sacramento. I'll be foreman!
First--I guess the only good news is that it was a mistrial, because if they were at 9-3 in favor of acquittal it could have easily resulted in the case ending with an acquittal and being done for good. With so many people injured and killed, I'm sure the prosecutor will take another run at it.

As for jurors, it's actually the prosecutors that usually want "sheep" with no opinion. They'll just assume the state is right about everything, agree and vote to convict. Very strong willed people tend to create some chaos in the group, which generally helps the defense. Of course, every jury's different.

I was on jury duty last week (I wasn't picked for the final nine) The defendant was a young guy charged with heroin possesion & sales. He had a ill fitting shirt on, and I thought how much he's gonna be judged by his looks. I saw the news report of this driver the other day & he had a nice suit on and was pretty well spoken. I thought he had a good chance of getting off because of this. Hopefully when they retry him they will get a jury who will listen to the facts & convict him on them. But people are pretty kooky these days so we'll see.

they will get a jury who will listen to the facts
How do we know he didn't have that?

Nothing against you Marcus, and I am disappointed too. But, none of us were in that courtroom. Perhaps the prosecution did a poor job, or there just wasn't enough evidence to convict. And/or the defense attorney did an excellent job.

Motor vehicle laws are kind of screwed up in most places - it's either all or nothing. If it can be proven he was impaired, he's screwed. If not, nothing.

From cyclerides.com . . .

As many of you know by now, Michael Jakscht, the truck driver who ran over the group of riders last Spring and killed 4 of them was on trial last week for this incident. It was declared a mis-trial which would allow this man to be released pending a new trial. I don't personally know the particulars of this case as they were presented, but I do know in my heart that this man is guilty of SOMETHING, even if it is involuntary manslaughter or failure to control a vehicle. But something. To see him walk out of jail free from any punishment in my opinion would be just one more travesty of our legal system that seems to be being abused more and more. He is going to try to get out of jail this Friday at 11:30am.

Click Here for media report.

https://www.azcriminallawsexcrimes.com/violent-crimes/carefree-motorcycle-mistrial-and-the-michael-jakscht-case/

All of those that want a voice or have an opinion are welcome to come to the court on Friday morning at 11:30am ( 301 W. Jefferson ) though seating is limited and we ask that please leave room for the families and friends that are closest to this case first. Starting at 9:00 AM the group of friends and family would like to have a large showing of riders in a PEACEFUL show of support to line the streets of Jefferson St (Jefferson and 7th Avenue) to show the courts what, we, as a riding communities want to happen. Again, we are going to be there to gain support for this cause, not harm it, so this has to be peaceful at all times. This is more of a 'participation' event than a planned ride. Show up and participate as you see fit. Please don't expect someone to be gathering everyone up, explaining how things are going to work, and leading folks around. It's the number of bikes that show up and ride around that is important, not a well-planned parade down Jefferson.

Click Here for details.

https://www.meetup.com/PhxMRG/events/30705491/

If you would like to email the County Atty. your concerns about the release of Michael Jakscht, you can do so at Email:

https://www.maricopacountyattorney.org/FAQ/contact.html

From Cyclerides.com -

Michael Jakscht Trial Update: We can all breath a sigh of relief at least for a while. There will be a re-trial for Michael Jakscht, the man who ran over and killed 4 bikers on Carefree Hwy last March. No release or bail reduction for him!!! He will stay where he belongs until the trial. The legal system has been redeemed for the moment. Hopefully the new jury will be as astute as this judge. Thanks to all who were responsible for keeping this guy where he belongs.

This is going to make everyone on our Fine FJR Forum sick to their stomachs, especially we Arizonans SkooterG, marcusorelius, GalaxyBlue, AVGeek, Big-D, Papa Chuy and many other Zonies!

This Rotten Bastard that killed 4 bikers and injured 5 while jacked up on methamphetamines still has not gone to Jail, he sent his first trial into a mistrial by making a lying statement in front of the packed Courtroom after being coached by his lawyer to do so! This post is from Good Friend Phoenix Fire Captain Ernie Lizarraga and was provided to us by AZ Beemers President Brian Boles!

God Damn it to Hell, I hope that this Motorcyclist Murdering Asshole dies in Jail!

From Cyclerides.com -

This is an email from Ernie Lizarraga, the Phoenix Firefighter that was injured in the motorcycle crash on Carefree Highway:

The second trial for the guy that killed 4 bikers an injured 5 while on methamphetamine and driving a commercial dump truck will start June 11th. The first trial was a mistrial due to him saying on the last day of trial he tested positive for diet pills and the state did not have time to prove him wrong. The Judge said he can not say that in the second trial. The Judge said he can't use the diet pill story because its "A LIE". I will be on the witness stand June 12. Let's hope justice is finally done this time.
https://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/north_phoenix/injured-fire-captain-takes-first-few-steps https://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/north_phoenix/phx-fire-captain-returns-to-work-after-brain-injury Ernie is on the right and his wife Lorri is on the left:

1176755685_vbFLJ-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

Thanks for keeping us updated on this. After viewing the clip from your post above, I realized this hit closer to home than I thought. PHX Fire's PIO, Frank Solomon is a friend and former co-worker from a dozen years ago. Small world. Go Ernie and continued condolences to those who are still suffering from this tragic event.

JW

thanks for the update, Don... I will be with everyone in spirit... and good on Ernie for fighting the good fight... he sounds like a really impressive guy!

This is an email from Ernie Lizarraga, the Phoenix Firefighter that was injured in the motorcycle crash on Carefree Highway:

The second trial for the guy that killed 4 bikers an injured 5 while on methamphetamine and driving a commercial dump truck will start June 11th. The first trial was a mistrial due to him saying on the last day of trial he tested positive for diet pills and the state did not have time to prove him wrong. The Judge said he can not say that in the second trial. The Judge said he can't use the diet pill story because its "A LIE". I will be on the witness stand June 12. Let's hope justice is finally done this time.
https://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/north_phoenix/injured-fire-captain-takes-first-few-steps https://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/north_phoenix/phx-fire-captain-returns-to-work-after-brain-injury Ernie is on the right and his wife Lorri is on the left:

1176755685_vbFLJ-M.jpg

From AZ Beemers Member Brian Boles. This biker murdering bastard finally got what he so richly deserves from the court. Hopefully a Hell's Angel, Bandito or Vagos in Florence, Arizona Penitentiary will bury a shiv in this fuck's heart on 1st day in the joint!

From cyclerides.com

Truck driver found guilty in deaths of 4 motorcyclists.

Michael Jakscht, the truck driver who ran over nine motorcyclists in March 2010, killing four, was found guilty Wednesday by a Maricopa County Superior Court jury. He faces up to 21 years in prison for each of four manslaughter charges and 15 years for each of five aggravated assault charges, all of which can be stacked at sentencing. I'm glad to see that there was some vindication for those injured and the families of those who were killed in this crash. It would have be a crime for him to walk free after this. The court system worked this time. See complete article at AZ Central.

https://www.azcentral.com/community/northvalley/articles/20120815truck-driver-found-guilty-death-motorcyclists.html

Sad story, but at least the piece of sh*t will do time for it, hopefully they make it consecutive on the sentencing.

In so many human endeavors, including serving on a jury, some decisions are simple...

This we do, not hastily; this we do, not in passion; this we do, without hatred.

This is not the battle, when a man strikes fiercely and fear drives him on. This is not the hot quarrel when two strive for place or the love of a woman.

Knot the rope; whet the ax; pour the poison; pile the faggots.

This is the one who killed his fellow unprovoked; this is the one who stole the child away; this is the one who spat upon the image of our God; this is the one who leagued himself with the Devil to be a witch; this is the one who corrupted our youth; this is the one who told the enemy of our secret places.

We are afraid, but we do not talk of fear. We have many deep thoughts and doubts, but we do not speak them. We say, "Justice"; we say, "The Law"; we say, "We, the people"; we say, "The State."
- George R. Stewart -
Earth Abides
...other decisions are less so.

A good suit & lawyer didn't save him in the retrial. Good message to send out to the Az peeps. Take meth kill inocent people/ bikers ya go to jail for a loooong time!

"Michael Jakscht was the judge, jury and executioner, and he sent four people to death," said Ernie Lizarraga, a Phoenix fire captain who was disabled in the crash.

Brother Ernie is a personal friend of BeemerDonS! From Gary "Mudslide" Miller of AZ Beemers Club:

Yea, I don't see that as being justice for "each" victim when you get sentenced 18 yrs for two of them & 10 for the other two but you get to serve them concurrently instead of consecutively. That's like saying he could have run over and killed 30 people & it would still have been 26 yrs. I think it's B.S.

Here's the article from today's paper if you didn't see it:

https://www.azcentral.com/community/northvalley/articles/20121116phoenix-fatal-motorcycle-crash-abrk.html?nclick_check=1

Glad there is finally closure to this horrible ordeal.

The families involved are forever changed. Four families are missing their loved ones. Some people are now disabled. And the fool that decided to get high and drive will probably never see freedom for many years if at all. All very sad.

Don thanks for the latest skinny.