Master Cylinder and parts replacement- Age

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbvolfan

Reaction score
I have an '05 with 60k miles now. No issues however I know that the service manual calls for the replacement of essentially all the internal components of the brake and master cylinders, caliper cylinders and clutch release cylinders every 2-4 years. They also recommend replacing the brake and clutch hoses every 4 years.

Given my bike is now ~7 yrs old its long overdue for this. I regularly change my clutch and brake fluid and I do plan to rebuild the rear master brake cylinder as it is now sticking a bit.

I guess my question is how often do you all perform this maintainence task? It doesnt appear to be too painful, except maybe the caliper cylinders but a PITA ordering so many parts!

I have been religious about performing all other maintainence on time however this is one I have fooled with.

Any input out there?

I have an '07 with 55,000 miles. Other than changing the pads (once) and flushing the fluid, I haven't done anything yet and probably won't unless I encounter a problem. If I have issues with brakes not releasing completely, excessive pad wear or reduced stopping ability, I'll look into it and if disassembly for cleaning/service indicates degradation of seals, I'll replace them at that time. Don't know about hoses and I haven't heard about anyone who has had a problem with ballooning or leaks but I will continue to inspect them a couple of times per year. I doubt they will get replaced before 100,000 miles (another 2-3 years maybe?).

There are some with multiples of your current mileage that have NOT reported brake or clutch master cylinder issues.

..Then again...there are some who have reported replacing clutch plates after of spending a day slipping the clutch doing parking lot drills with a bike over 150k miles.....

I wouldn't change them unless you have some leakage. Sticking rear may be the rear brake lever pivot, very common issue. Lots of old bikes with high mileage have never had their rubbers changed.

FWIW cyclegear.com just quoted me on a complete Galfer SS brake & clutch line kit

Part# GAL_D605-9 for $288.01...this is about $100 less than I've seen anywhere else...