MC Enterprises tip over guards - are they any good?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I thought a frame clamp as pictured would work, but the outermost tube is outwardly set away from vertical (unlike the Canyon Cages) and would make the pegs droop down laterally. Maybe there's gimbled type of frame clamp out there. I got's ta do some moa research, I guess.

I have them mounted on my 2007, primarily for my trip to Alaska and my daily commute. I wanted something just in case I dropped the bike on the haul road.

I find them to be easy to install, a great place to mount a set of LED lights, and they provide protection in case of a drop. I cornered aggressively and never was close to having them touch the ground. The rear set will protect the rear cases, however, the front set will not protect the mirrors or the bars.

I love mine and actually sold my sliders to someone else on this forum.

I have them mounted on my 2007, primarily for my trip to Alaska and my daily commute. I wanted something just in case I dropped the bike on the haul road.
I find them to be easy to install, a great place to mount a set of LED lights, and they provide protection in case of a drop. I cornered aggressively and never was close to having them touch the ground. The rear set will protect the rear cases, however, the front set will not protect the mirrors or the bars.

I love mine and actually sold my sliders to someone else on this forum.
Are you referring to the canyon cages or the law enforcement guards?

I did not mount foot pegs, but would like to know the answer as to which ones can be fitted to the MC enterprises guards. I have both front and rear on my 2011, and I love them! Installation was very easy, hardware and construction of the guards themselves were top notch. I had not measured, but figured if I dropped the bike the mirror (s) and handlebar would be toast, but at least the very expensive fairing and bags would be saved!

Why half-ass it? Where do we get one of these bad boys?

Motorcycle-Cage-Patent-1.jpg

I have had the front MC Enterprise guards installed for several years. I would have the back ones as well but they would not fit due to a hydration system that I have installed on the rear pegs. I love the guards and they have been tested more that I care to admit.....most recently a tip over on a ferry in Texas. Mirrors, and all parts including aux lights are well protected with no damage. As an added bonus the guards work great as a push/pull point when you end up in a ditch in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night (yep...personally verified this operation). The guards also act as a great tie down point for longer ferry/trailer rides... As a final bonus the guards do protect the legs from external hazards and act as a great "width guide" for lane splitting in CA.

I've had a couple of people comment that the guards take away from the looks of my bike. But for the most part, the comments have been "wow, that's not a bad idea...need to get some for my bike!"

I remember reading on some forum where someone mentioning how after decades of riding his number came up when his rear tire hit a patch of oil making a turn on a street corner and it came out from under him and the low side crash mangled his leg. I would feel better with these law enforcement bars taking away the leg crushing potential in situations like that.

I've got their Canyon cages as well as their rear guards. It is my hope they would provide ample space for a leg in a low side get off.

But then I also hope to be able to stop the bike and set the kickstand before i get off.

The construction of the front bars on those Canyon Cages look to me to be less adequate for leg crush protection compared to their Law Enforcement model.

I placed an order the other day for the canyon cages. I like how the law enforcement guards protect the upper fairing better, but they are less pleasing in the aesthetics department but more importantly to me the canyon cages give me a mounting point for highway pegs that's actually out front more than with something like MCL's mounts. Not really any place to put highway pegs on the law enforcement guards unless you want your legs straight out in front of you, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I missed it but the pictures and comments seem to be about the full size up front protector. MC offers a low profile protector that looks much better. Would love to hear comments about the low profile option as it looks much better but not sure how much protection it provides.

Thanks, Bill

Sorry if I missed it but the pictures and comments seem to be about the full size up front protector. MC offers a low profile protector that looks much better. Would love to hear comments about the low profile option as it looks much better but not sure how much protection it provides.Thanks, Bill
I've just installed the Canyon Cages and have been playing around with the possible position for the Hwy pegs, but for the life of me I can't find any place that will NOT result in these getting rammed into/through the fairing in something like even a tip over and definitely in a low-side.

From what I can see, mounting the brackets under the bolt/joint will push the bracket and peg into the Stator on the left side, guaranteeing to punch a whole in it (as you can see from the last pic). On the right side you will just put a hole in the fairing...

Hence the conundrum, the main idea of the canyon cages is to enable you to ride home after a spill and minimize the damage to the bike, but with the Hwy pegs you're almost guaranteeing to do more damage than would have happened with just a set of sliders.

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

I will try locating my pegs as pictured below tonight and see if that would at least seem like it's going to minimize the damage these bad boys will do if you ever need to use the Canyon Cages. From the pic it does look like this maybe the safest place to mount them, even though it doesn't look as clean.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/14602-canyon-cages-plus-motorcycle-larry-pegs.html#post137852

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

How do you figure you'll punch a hole in the stator cover or the faring with the peg if you dump the bike? The brackets are far enough away that even if they do spin it doesn't look like it would do much of any damage.

Let me rephrase my original question. I now know that Canyou Cage refers to the smaller profile protectors. Designed to be tighter to the bike so less likely to touch down in steep cornering. The other version is more like what law enforcement uses. Talking to MC enterprises Teri says they offer the same protection. However looking at pictures the larger (taller) version looks more protective and is half the price of Canyon Cages. Sure would like an informed opinion as to which provides the best protection. If its a draw I think I'll go for the lower profile yet more expensive version as they are so much better looking. So I guess my fiirst priory is best protection. Second is appearance. Thanks, Bill

How do you figure you'll punch a hole in the stator cover or the faring with the peg if you dump the bike? The brackets are far enough away that even if they do spin it doesn't look like it would do much of any damage.
I do hope you are right and I'm wrong, I would be perfectly happy to not have to find out which of us was right
rolleyes.gif

If you look closely at this picture as it shows the protruding shaft of the folded Hwy peg, you'll see that this 1/2" of protruding metal will be pushed in towards the bike.

This is why I mentioned in my original post is the reason I ultimately mounted the brackets/pegs above the lower engine mount bolt, because at least this way the possible damage from a drop will be more cosmetic than structural.

I'm still actively searching for some other/better designed pegs which don't have this protruding shaft and would thus in my opinion be safer to mount on the Canyon Cages.

IMG_0259.jpg

I am also struggling with this.

The best idea I have so far is a special bolt replacing the allen in the above pic. It would have a hex to tighten with a wrench and a stud coming out beyond that. To this stud would mount an offset peg mount such as

7571_2.jpg

In the event of a low side The stud should shear and release the pegs.

Something like these (from MC Enterprises) might be less likely to damage the bike, in black and 7/8 for gen II
https://www.westendmotorsports.com/enterprises-alligator-foot-pegs-aluminum-clamp-inch-p-13984.html

I am also struggling with this.The best idea I have so far is a special bolt replacing the allen in the above pic. It would have a hex to tighten with a wrench and a stud coming out beyond that. To this stud would mount an offset peg mount such as

7571_2.jpg

In the event of a low side The stud should shear and release the pegs.

Something like these (from MC Enterprises) might be less likely to damage the bike, in black and 7/8 for gen II

https://www.westendmotorsports.com/enterprises-alligator-foot-pegs-aluminum-clamp-inch-p-13984.html
Chuck35, whilst I am not sure I totally follow your logic, from what I do understand I think you're on the right track. I don't seem to see any 7/8" versions though.

I'm actually thinking of something more along the lines of this kind of low-profile peg mounts, used in combination with pegs like these. From what I understand this combo would not leave behind a 1/2" of the peg mount just begging to get snagged up on the asphalt and get driven back into the fairing.

41cGfG4p84L._SX385_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-8015-Foot-Mount-Clevises/dp/B00514CCHE/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

%24T2eC16VHJIIE9qTYKKQfBQ5vQTEI,w~~60_3.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-KURY-AKYN-ISO-FOOT-PEG-ASSEMBLY-PEGS-FOR-PARTS-/300842349227?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460b99f2ab

or this (obviously these would need to be black since this is an FJR
rolleyes.gif
so just posting the pics for reference)

50113-10-2T.jpg
%24(KGrHqQOKp0FHffS7RvSBR8UC1C)PQ~~60_12.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-RING-EXTENDED-MALE-MOUNT-HIGHWAY-FOOT-PEGS-for-HARLEY-SOFTAIL-SPORTSTER-DYNA-/111127281642?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dfb3bfea

DS-77-6016B_300.jpg

https://www.cruisercustomizing.com/universal-three-piece-frame-clamp-black-78-inch-each/part/DS-77-6016B

Latest posts