McCruise installation question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last Chance

Reaction score
OK, I know I'm a masochist. I decided to do the Helibar triple clamp/risers AND the McCruise installation over the weekend!

Helibar done.. No problem. I think

Mc Cruise instructions which I thought were extremely detailed (they are..but they aren't), have managed to confuse me. Not hard to do, I know. :dribble: I'm only to the part where I'm routing the cables (throttle, "carburetor" and "actuator") to and the placement of the CIU unit into the engine bay. It just dawned on me that it does not appear that the CIU unit is "attached" to anything (other than the three cables) in the engine bay. Is this correct? Seems it should be "mounted" somewhere. What about wear from vibration, and "rubbing". But, on second thought, it might not be necessary.

I only have one more day to finish the install and I have "blown" 3 hours trying to route the cables correctly. I still have MUCH MORE to do!! :blink: :dribble: :dribble:

I wish they would have referenced each photograph to a specific instruction. (see photo x, y or z) rather than just using "bullets" and placing the photos in the "vicinity" of the written instructions.

Any clarification as to the CIU mounting question would be helpful. :unsure: :clapping:

LC

OK, I know I'm a masochist. I decided to do the Helibar triple clamp/risers AND the McCruise installation over the weekend!
Helibar done.. No problem. I think

Mc Cruise instructions which I thought were extremely detailed (they are..but they aren't), have managed to confuse me. Not hard to do, I know. :dribble: I'm only to the part where I'm routing the cables (throttle, "carburetor" and "actuator") to and the placement of the CIU unit into the engine bay. It just dawned on me that it does not appear that the CIU unit is "attached" to anything (other than the three cables) in the engine bay. Is this correct? Seems it should be "mounted" somewhere. What about wear from vibration, and "rubbing". But, on second thought, it might not be necessary.

I only have one more day to finish the install and I have "blown" 3 hours trying to route the cables correctly. I still have MUCH MORE to do!! :blink: :dribble: :dribble:

I wish they would have referenced each photograph to a specific instruction. (see photo x, y or z) rather than just using "bullets" and placing the photos in the "vicinity" of the written instructions.

Any clarification as to the CIU mounting question would be helpful. :unsure: :clapping:

LC
Hi LC

I have installed both on my '06 FJR. The CIU is not mounted to anything, it is held captive by the coolant line and frame (and the three cables). Be sure to push the wire harness as far forward as you can and the CIU will sit nicely in that space.

The only "problems" I had with my MCCruise was <one> I did not get the "carburetor" cable adjusted to the stated 0.5 ~ 1 mm. 1 mm is a very small amount of slack. If you have too much slack, you will fail the test when in diagnostic mode, it will take too many clicks to tr raise the engine RPM. <two> I forgot to readjust the throttle freeplay and had too much slack in the throttle cable when the cruise was engaged - adjusting the throttle freeplay fixed this.

The support from MCCruise in Australia is great. Email at night and have the answer in the morning!

Good luck finishing the install - I really like my MCCruise control!

LC

Hi LC

I have installed both on my '06 FJR. The CIU is not mounted to anything, it is held captive by the coolant line and frame (and the three cables). Be sure to push the wire harness as far forward as you can and the CIU will sit nicely in that space.

The only "problems" I had with my MCCruise was <one> I did not get the "carburetor" cable adjusted to the stated 0.5 ~ 1 mm. 1 mm is a very small amount of slack. If you have too much slack, you will fail the test when in diagnostic mode, it will take too many clicks to tr raise the engine RPM. <two> I forgot to readjust the throttle freeplay and had too much slack in the throttle cable when the cruise was engaged - adjusting the throttle freeplay fixed this.

The support from MCCruise in Australia is great. Email at night and have the answer in the morning!

Good luck finishing the install - I really like my MCCruise control!

ColoradoFJR's right. Attaching and adjusting freeplay in the carburetor cable is the hardest part of the job. Assembling the CIU just takes a little patience, then adjust your throttle cable freeplay and you should be good to go. I would also go through all of the checkout procedures shown in the manual to make sure all sensors are working properly. It is a pain, but I found something I connected wrong and fixed it. Now I have complete confidence in the device. It is superbly engineered and, as CoFJR noted, they provide great support. My biggest criticism is that the multiple sections of the manual could be confusing. Just be patient and you will get it done.

Thanks guys, that clears up the little misconception I had. I've read your posts before and will eagerly look forward to adjusting the "carburetter" cable slack to 1 mm..

Should have it finished by tonight Sunday. If not, I'll take Monday off and by golly finish it then. It looks like the unit is well engineered and thought out. That's why I went the "extra" $400 over the price of the alternative.

Getting my rocket ship ready for the trip to WFO in July. Lot's to do and times running out!

Thanks for your help!

LC

Ok, next problem.

I'm finishing up installing the McCruise cruise control.Only 2 more wires to hook up then button up then test. Wouldn't you know, I have a question/problem.

I'm hooking up the "Tachometer sensing" wire. The instructions indicate to hook it to the coil with a grey/red stripe wire. Picture "looks" like they are referring to the front coil. However I cannot see the color code on that wire, it's covered by the wiring loom and hard to get to. The rear most coil DOES have a grey/red stripe wire. Questions? Do both wires have the sameDoes it matter which coil I hook the cruise up to? If so, should I hook it up to the front coil?

I just don't want to "button" it up just to discover I have to take the tank off again to change just one wire!

LC

Ok, next problem.

I'm finishing up installing the McCruise cruise control.Only 2 more wires to hook up then button up then test. Wouldn't you know, I have a question/problem.

I'm hooking up the "Tachometer sensing" wire. The instructions indicate to hook it to the coil with a grey/red stripe wire. Picture "looks" like they are referring to the front coil. However I cannot see the color code on that wire, it's covered by the wiring loom and hard to get to. The rear most coil DOES have a grey/red stripe wire. Questions? Do both wires have the sameDoes it matter which coil I hook the cruise up to? If so, should I hook it up to the front coil?

I just don't want to "button" it up just to discover I have to take the tank off again to change just one wire!

LC
Hope you figured this out and didn't wait for an answer! :)

I just used the most accessible gray / red coil wire. It doesn't matter which coil you use. This wire is used to release the cruise control if the rpm's raise very rapidly - for example if the clutch is pulled in.

I got a lot of experience removing/installing the tank until I got the correct 1 mm slack in the pull cable - good practice for future TB syn's

Hope you figured this out and didn't wait for an answer! :)
I just used the most accessible gray / red coil wire. It doesn't matter which coil you use. This wire is used to release the cruise control if the rpm's raise very rapidly - for example if the clutch is pulled in.

I got a lot of experience removing/installing the tank until I got the correct 1 mm slack in the pull cable - good practice for future TB syn's
Looking at the "date/time" of your post ColoradoFJR. Well, no I didn't wait. I did the diagnostic and discovered that you hook to the right wire...not what it looks like in the picture. Grey with red stripe. Got an error code when I did the Tachometer test. :rolleyes: :dribble: I also discovered there was nothing to worry about if the ABS light came on when in gear and running 40 mph in 4th gear. My first Carburetter (see I speak Australian) test was a 21....got it down to 16. However, I think I almost destroyed the "adjustment/locking screw/nut....on both ends. All I can say is it functions extremely well. I only had time to do a little test and speed sensor calibration. But if that short ride is anything like what it will be like on the long haul...Fantastic. Also like my much improved pull-back from the new triple tree and risers. Big jobs are done I hope. three and a half days working on this. I think I will retire permanently from wrenching... I just don't think I have a real "aptitude" for it!!!!!! Also, my doctor is concerned about my blood pressure and this didn't help that one bit!!!

Thanks for confirming what I just found out...I think.

See you at WFO-6 I hope.

LC

Last edited by a moderator: