MCL Rear Powerlet Issue (I think anyway)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterguns

Reaction score
In the process of a detailed checkout last night in preparation for this Sundays SS1000, I noticed that the Two Brother Black Series cans were not even in terms of height or better put, the distance below the bags was noticeably different. Being anal about things like this, I decided to figure out why. After a thorough inspection of everything, the only thing I could figure what is causing this issue may be related to my installing a MCL rear powerlet on the left side. The mounting bracket for the powerlet goes in between the aluminum muffler bracket to which the hanger attaches supporting the TB carbon fiber can. This is the only difference between the left and right side; the doggone powerlet. Question is: Is there anyone out there with a MCL rear powerlet; either left or right side, that has the same issue with their cans being different heights? Just curious. Regardless, I intent to mount the thing on the outside of the bracket rather than in between the bracket and the frame. I'll just pick up a longer bolt and use a spacer if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the process of a detailed checkout last night in preparation for this Sundays SS1000, I noticed that the Two Brother Black Series cans were not even in terms of height or better put, the distance below the bags was noticeably different. Being anal about things like this, I decided to figure out why. After a thorough inspection of everything, the only thing I could figure what is causing this issue may be related to my installing a MCL rear powerlet on the left side. The mounting bracket for the powerlet goes in between the aluminum muffler bracket to which the hanger attaches supporting the TB carbon fiber can. This is the only difference between the left and right side; the doggone powerlet. Question is: Is there anyone out there with a MCL rear powerlet; either left or right side, that has the same issue with their cans being different heights? Just curious. Regardless, I intent to mount the thing on the outside of the bracket rather than in between the bracket and the frame. I'll just pick up a longer bolt and use a spacer if necessary.
Since the bolts are almost horizontal, I don't see why the height would change.

When I mounted my cruise control actuator under one of the hanger screws I did ensure that the other screw had a washer to space it equally to reduce any twisting stress on the hanger.

(Click on image for larger view)

Can't be certain about the height difference though, I mounted my vacuum reservoir the other side.

Since both your can support brackets have been moved outward equally, I doubt there would be any difference on the can locations (distance below the saddle bags). I did use a spacer on the powerlet side to ensure equal distance outward from the original location. Thanks for the input.

Darn, you made me go look! I've never noticed any difference - but it's something I've never checked, 'out of sight is out of mind'.

My cans and bags are still off the bike so I slipped them on temporarily - no issues here, phew!

004.jpg

007.jpg

Al.

I would be concerned with the swing arm travel, it may hit the servo if your fully loaded and you hit a bump

I would be concerned with the swing arm travel, it may hit the servo if you're fully loaded and you hit a bump
Thanks for your concern, I did check during installation.

Click on image for larger view)

It's close, but has never touched in the 17 months since I fitted it, in spite of some occasionally very rough bits of road.

Mind you, I'm not built as "well" as some riders
biggrinsmiley.gif

I would be concerned with the swing arm travel, it may hit the servo if your fully loaded and you hit a bump
My Gen I has had the cruise servo mounted on the left side in that same location for 85k miles with no problems. I ride 2 up about 80% of the time and together we meet the GVWR
ermm.gif

Just installed one last week, and using the supplied spacer AND checking the fit I did not notice any significant difference. Side case fits as before.
P1050483.JPG

... My Gen I has had the cruise servo mounted on the left side in that same location for 85k miles with no problems. I ride 2 up about 80% of the time and together we meet the GVWR
ermm.gif
Which is where I got the idea for my one's position. Thanks, Ionbeam
thumbsup.gif
, there ain't many places on an AS/AE.