Memorial Day Sunday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when I rode bicycles, riding 200 miles in 12 hours, we worried about the weather. Some people would say it's too cold, too wet, etc...

Our reply was "I'll let you know when we get back from the ride".

See you Tomorrow :yahoo:
Tough guy, huh?

Old Michael said:
Back when I rode bicycles, riding 200 miles in 12 hours, we worried about the weather. Some people would say it's too cold, too wet, etc...

Our reply was "I'll let you know when we get back from the ride".

See you Tomorrow :yahoo:
Tough guy, huh?
No, YOU are!!

Having second thoughts about this ride. Woke up this morning thinking I wasn't really in the mood for a big ride tomorrow, and then the rain this morning picking up the newspaper on the driveway, and then the talk in this post about conditions tomorrow. Let me be clearer: I'm bailing. Sorry, MM2. Hycle, please acknowledge.

Jb

Just checked hwy conditions. Chains required on 88 adn 4. I was hoping to not have to bring them to save weight.
Yeah, like I said, this may turn out to be a "Ride to Breakfast" in Jackson and enjoy some lower elevation roads. I suppose we'll know more tomorrow (He said, while heading for the garage to re-install the foot guards, hand guards and Winter windshield.) ;)
Have a Great Ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the planned destination changes because of the weather, we can discuss those changes @ Starbuck's in the morning.

Heck, we might end up in Sonora...or Plymouth...or Pioneer...or Auburn...or....

I'm already missing JB. :cry: I'm sorry he's not going to get to see me. :rolleyes:

If the planned destination changes because of the weather, we can discuss those changes @ Starbuck's in the morning.
Heck, we might end up in Sonora...or Plymouth...or Pioneer...or Auburn...or....

I'm already missing JB. :cry: I'm sorry he's not going to get to see me. :rolleyes:
I'm already missing you too, Mike. :cry: And Hycle, and Silent. :friends: And it's always a crime not to avail you all of the benefit of my wisdom and wit and tips for riding and being a hit with the ladies. :rolleyes:

Hell, maybe I'll be wishy-washy and say maybe I'll make it after all.

But let's check back this evening for a confirmation yay or nay. I wanna see my buddies, and ride my bike. I'm so conflicted! :huh:

My son picked this weekend to go camping at Icehouse. He reported snow this morning with rain showers forecast for today. I think this leaves the high mountain passes out of the equation. If snow was sticking on the roadways we will have fresh sand or sand/salt to deal with.

Anyway, Karen and I are going to have breakfast at Mel's at 0900 before the ride. If anyone wants to join us at Mel's diner you are more than welcome. We are going to dress for 60 degree temps.

I will pop back in here after a little while and provide the latest forecast information.

I'm a newbie. I met Madmike a little over a year ago. I look forward to meeting your group. My daughter will be coming along also. She'll be riding my V-Strom 1000. We rode over Sonora last weekend. We covered about 350 miles. One of the farkles we bring along is cb radio communication. Anyone else have radios? I looked at weather.com and it said the HIGH temp for Kirkwood will be 42. I'll be sure and bring my warm gloves. See you all at Starbucks around 9:30
Hi, Big Dan. I'm one of the fellahs you met at the Wall a few weeks ago. See you and your daughter there.

Jb

P.S. What's it like riding with guys who drink beer out of a can before noon while on a ride....???? :blink:
It made me a little nervous. I don't drink period ( no judgement in that statement ) so I really kept the speeds down from there to Alice's. They were all on their own from there. Most are co-workers and a few of them are really into that bad-ass image thing. It confuses me though, because all of them rode motocross, flat track, and japanese bikes before going to H-D. I don't get the H-D thing at all. I just love to ride.

Okay. The forecast is bad for the mountains. Snow level tonight and tomorrow is 5500 feet. Snow accumulations 3-5" at the higher elevations. It will be snowing until midnight with a chance of snow showers after midnight. Lows 23-33 at higher elevations.

There is also a chance of rain showers tomorrow in the foothills. If it looks like significant rain tomorrow, or we hit rain on the way to Jackson, we are turning back. We are not clothing equipped to handle much rain. If we are not at Starbucks by the appointed time (10:00) don't wait for us.

I will look outside and check the weather in the morning and make my decision then.

There is also a chance of rain showers tomorrow in the foothills. If it looks like significant rain tomorrow, or we hit rain on the way to Jackson, we are turning back. We are not clothing equipped to handle much rain. If we are not at Starbucks by the appointed time (10:00) don't wait for us.
I will look outside and check the weather in the morning and make my decision then.
Yeah....this is looking doubtful for going to the high country. Never-the-less, my intention is to be in Jackson at the appointed time and make a group decision. There are enough lovely roads North and South from there....heck, we could make a Southern loop (say...to San Andreas, R onPoole Station to Hwy 4 West thru Angels Camp to Murphys, down Old Murphys Grade and North on 49 to Jackson) and come back to Mel's for lunch, then head on a Northerly route and break off from points above...Placerville or even Auburn.

That way, should it really begin to storm, nobody is extremely far from home....except Steve and Cindy...but I have a guest room.

:D

Okay. The forecast is bad for the mountains. Snow level tonight and tomorrow is 5500 feet. Snow accumulations 3-5" at the higher elevations. It will be snowing until midnight with a chance of snow showers after midnight. Lows 23-33 at higher elevations.

Yeah....this is looking doubtful for going to the high country. Never-the-less, my intention is to be in Jackson at the appointed time and make a group decision. There are enough lovely roads North and South from there....heck, we could make a Southern loop (say...to San Andreas, R onPoole Station to Hwy 4 West thru Angels Camp to Murphys, down Old Murphys Grade and North on 49 to Jackson) and come back to Mel's for lunch, then head on a Northerly route and break off from points above...Placerville or even Auburn.

That way, should it really begin to storm, nobody is extremely far from home....except Steve and Cindy...but I have a guest room.

:D
I am in I will be in Jackson around 9:30ish or so. I am willing to gamble and go over the hills. I will just spend the day following you guys.

I am glad you look out for the big picture and do not take chances. I live in Sacramento and the weather is starting to look pretty good so you never know.

Jeff

I was looking at some of the forcasts and it said even though the snow could fall it wouldn't be sticking on the ground on the passes. I hope I can just go for a ride, don't care where it is really. And like Ric I will stick my head out my window in the morning as well but it should be good to go and I do have my rain gear of course. PM. <>< ;)

Have fun boys!! If I rode this weekend it'd be 7 weeks in a row, if I count the next couple runs. It's a wrenching weekend for me, new skid palte and skins for the Wee and other misc stuff.

Enjoy the ride! Wish I could come. Maybe next year I'll have some vacation left. This year I'm going to have to miss all the fun stuff. (NAFO, Clan gathering, Yosemite, etc.)

Be safe out there and watch out for the rocks! :p

LC

It's a beautiful day for a ride, so I will be at Solano Baking Company,Dixon Ca, at 7:30am. Then heading to Starbucks in Jackson, CA.

Maybe we will ride over the pass in the snow, maybe to Marlene and Glen's Dead Fly Diner in Plymouth.

All that really matters to me is, I get to ride with friends I've met right here on this forum.

Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Love you guys. :D