Modded 07FJRA vs Modded 08C14.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Webby

Right is Harder than Wrong.
Reaction score
Hey all,

As promised here is the update from the performance tuning and testing done yesterday with my good friend (Motor659 on the C14 forum) and his 08C14.

This thread is not intended for bashing.. Just for those of you interested in how this turned out and how we tuned them up to get there. I will say this... Both bikes performed flawlessly and better than either one of us really needs them too!

THEY FLY!

Most of you here know about my profound HP/TQ mods.. If not.. Check it out here...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...hl=wicked+webby

Also, here is how I extremely fine tuned my bike better than I was able to on the dyno.....

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...hl=wicked+webby

Motor659 and I tuned his C14 with this same method today.

C14tuned.jpg

Motor659's C14 is modded up very well. Pretty much the same type of mods my FJR has except he can't chop his air box(ram air in all you know).

I'd rather have his ram air :glare: !!

His bike is fully broke in (around 4k on it). Motor659's C14 has the Two Brothers Racing Carbon Fiber Exhaust and the GIpro TRE that allows him to keep his intake flies wide open all the time (tricks the bike into thinking it is in 6th gear all the time). A very nice way to rid himself of the stupid intake flies. His C14 also has the Dobeck/Techlusion FI tuner. Which he very much needed when eliminating his fly action.

Both our bike still have their cats. I weigh around 230+ and Motor659 weighs around 265+. My bike always has that extra gas.. So I figure the less weight advantage goes to the FJR by about 28lbs or so.

We completed 11 AFR data log runs with various FI settings and 5 side by side roll-on performance runs to see how he improved against my 07FJRA. We got him dialed in very NICE!!

A little history here.. My modded FJR use to (I stress use to) beat up on his modded C14 pretty good... Roll-ons (at any rpm level) were usually in the neighborhood of 10 bike lengths advantage the FJR in every gear except 1st.. We were always tied with the 1st gear roll-ons (roll-ons not rider ability off of the line). Top speed was always close (we figured very close. I'd say a slight advantage to his C14. A bike length difference after top out speed). Since those runs... Motor659 has added the TRE Gipro and we BOTH have extremely fine tuned our rides under road load via the Innovative LM1 wideband 02 sniffer (installed pre-cat in the bung).

(HOW IT ENDED UP TODAY:)

We stripped off our bags... Left our brains at home for the afternoon and we HIT IT :blink: :dribble: :unsure: :dribble: !!!!

All roll-ons (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears) we were both rock-en out super hard and impressive (Just ask Gramps) !!

Utilizing my current fine tuned settings my FJR would jump out in front of his C14 everytime (ahead around 2 bike lengths). This was consistent with every gear. It would stay that way all the way until 156 mph on my GPS (closed course of course!!).. Then, the mighty C14 would creep on past me by 2 bike lengths as we we would plateau :dribble: ... Motor659's max speed on his GPS read 158 :yahoo: . It should be noted that we were doing these top out runs directly into the wind.. No tailwind here.

As I said, Mine read this (note.. we both have the same GPS Garmin Nuvi 650):

67.jpg

Interestingly enough.. I decided to add just a dash of fuel to my recipe on the wide open throttle jet (2:30 on pot#3 rather than 2:15)....

Drum roll please....................................................................................

With this added fuel setting our bikes would top out DEAD EVEN :yahoo: :yahoo: ...................Motor659 tried to kick me balls up into me throat!!!

BUT WAIT..... There is always a big ass butt...............

With this added fuel my bike would no longer pull him in the roll-ons (all gears)... BUT now we were EXACTLY even in all the roll-ons.

So to gain 2 more MPH on top (under these wind conditions).. I had to lose 2 bike lengths in real World roll-on acceleration and quarter mile times... :angry:

BUMMER!!!

Though, no complaints. A modded up and highly tuned C14's performance numbers are nothing to complain about.

Goes to show how impressively modded the FJR can be!

So the information sharing is done... Now a question.......................................

"What way would most of you (that ride fast..Sunday riders need not apply here) have your bike tuned?"

1) The slightly less fuel for the better quarter mile times, better roll-ons and better corner exit speeds over the modded C14....

-(OR)-

2) The more fuel setting for equal quarter, equal roll-ons, equal corner exit speeds and equal top speed to the modded C14.......

For now, I am leaning toward the 1st .. Seams like more real road fun!!

Thats all I got, Any thoughts (besides how stupid we are!!!!) By the way, Motor659 and I are both very

happy with our bikes performance! We were thinking that we can probably break the 160mph mark with

less wind in our faces!

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
I say this with the utmost respect and thanks for all the neat stuff you've brought forward here webster..

but....

WOULD YOU PLEASE TAKE IT FUCKING EASY !!!! Disregard this slightly if you are on the salt flats or the strip but i'm guessing it's not.... I'm not usually someone to frown on +120 mph given excellent situations,..every now/then to clean out the cobwebs.

Just be careful,.......OK

My boss's brother just put his bike in the rhubarb on the weekend and is laying there with a couple of broken vert's .

Cheers

-Don

Don,

I can appreciate your remarks.

No worries.

Fast is fun but very dangerous.

Obviously not really worth the risks.

WW

Holy crap!! :bye: is about all I could do & I'm ok with that, I personally don't have a need to go that fast. But at least now you have an idea what these bikes are capable of doing...nice work WW.

Hell of a write up WW! Thanks

Although my days of 140+ mph are probably gone who knows what will happen when i get mine out west. . .

I think most riders would prefer the lower speed grunt than absolute top end. Thanks again

Aside from the tuning part, I think I speak for everyone here in echoing DonRed's statement: WW -- DUDE! We *really* don't want to see your name over in the Fallen Riders forum. Just something to keep in mind.

I would definitely choose the better roll on power for all around riding. It looks like you have done an awesome job considering no camshaft or head work. Of course there aren't any cams available that I know of. I really enjoyed reading the write up WW.

Ken.

Thanks for the input fellas,

Yes. I know how crazy, silly and stupid all the terminal velocity stuff is. Thats why I don't do it much these days. Even less in the future.

I choose to appreciate the extra low-end grunt over the extra 2 mph on top.

WW

Thanks for the input fellas,
Yes. I know how crazy, silly and stupid all the terminal velocity stuff is. Thats why I don't do it much these days. Even less in the future.

I choose to appreciate the extra low-end grunt over the extra 2 mph on top.

WW
On that note, I would definately take option 1. The better roll-on power is more usable. How many times am I going to hit top speed for any extended amount of time compared to how often I'm gonna throttle it to exit a corner, pass, etc...

BTW...Nice work.

WW - guess someone has to do it. Glad it's you and not me! The data is quite interesting though.

On the C-14 forum I see that the thread that started concerning these side by side tests of the C-14 and FJR has morphed into the usual "flies in or flies out" discussion in an effort to understand how your underpowered FJR could EVER stay with the C-14, much less (dare we say it?) pull ahead. These guys are a bit sensitive. In C-14 land it seems that Zen can only be acheived after your flies are out.

WW - guess someone has to do it. Glad it's you and not me! The data is quite interesting though.
On the C-14 forum I see that the thread that started concerning these side by side tests of the C-14 and FJR has morphed into the usual "flies in or flies out" discussion in an effort to understand how your underpowered FJR could EVER stay with the C-14, much less (dare we say it?) pull ahead. These guys are a bit sensitive. In C-14 land it seems that Zen can only be acheived after your flies are out.
Flyguy,

Very good point you make. Some of those guys are trying to make up an excuse why my itty bitter feejer can play well with the C14. Basically trying to say that Motor659's modded bike just isn't near as fast as theirs (I bet his is just as fast or faster)! It is tuned very well!! Ha!Ha!Ha! It is a pretty funny read. Some of these guys are the same ones that have been very outspoken about how the FJR is a weak performer compared to their C14's!!! They are doing everything they can not to nibble on the crow they have prepared for themselves!!!! My buddy Motor659 with the C14 sent me a couple links to these discussions. He also wanted me to relay his apologies for some of the ignorant "benchracing" that is going on over on his board regarding this and that not all the folks over there are trying to shit on the FJR in an attempt to make their bikes look better (than it really maybe).

WW

:yahoo:

Here are the links, enjoy:

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=45960.0

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=45672.20

Have you tried any runs without the wind shield?

ON my "other" bike, it tops out at 94. When I put the big ol wind shield on it, I could barely get to 83, but no bugs!!!

I did a 130+ run the other day and briefly noticed that the wind shield, full down, seamed like it was going to explode from all the buffeting...

Big Ears,

Thanks, Thats the way I am running her right now.

Jason,

No runs without the screen. I wouldn't ride her like that anyways..

BUT..

Maybe neat to see the difference.. I am sure there would be one.

WW

Latest posts