Most HATED Farkle or Accessory

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for Starcom being a waste. I had four units and the accompanying 85 miles of wires and cords. Just sold them all for the price of postage... and that took months to accomplish. Sena is one giant leap for mankind.

Oh, and add Chatterbox radios into the heap of smoldering waste that was StarCom. Gave those away as well.

Also, Scott oiler gets the award for the most messy mod that cost too much and performed with great mediocrity on Spousal Unit's F800GS... had to give that away too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most hated anything on a bike?Back Seat!

Why?

Gives hope to my G/F that she thinks she can come along.

'NS
A Corbin smuggler might be the answer if you are willing to spend the $$$.

Just make sure she doesn't know it pops of for rear seat installment.

Or you can just buy her an FJR of her own.

See problem solved.
rolleyes.gif

Another vote for Starcom being a waste. I had four units and the accompanying 85 miles of wires and cords. Just sold them all for the price of postage... and that took months to accomplish. Sena is one giant leap for mankind.
Oh, and add Chatterbox radios into the heap of smoldering waste that was StarCom. Gave those away as well.

Also, Scott oiler gets the award for the most messy mod that cost too much and performed with great mediocrity on Spousal Unit's F800GS... had to give that away too.
I THOUGHT it was a Starcom I had because I don't know of any other unit like it. The Chatterbox was only OK, but it was better. The first Scala system to hit the US market was actually pretty good.

I never liked the idea of the Scott oiler and it's good to know I missed nothing. Automatic chain oilers are, IMHO, for chain saws.

Starcom is/was wired, not bluetooth.

I'm not sure why my experience has been so different, but it has been just the opposite of what you guys are reporting. I still have two fully functioning Starcom1 Advance (the analog version) systems, and have been using them for the past 8 or 9 years on multiple bikes. Maybe it has worked better because I have them mounted into tank bags, so they don't spend any time exposed to weather. That is also what makes it easy to transfer between bikes.

I also have a Sena SMH10-11 mounted in my dual sport helmet, which I really like for being wireless when wires would be a big issue (off road). But honestly, it doesn't work as an intercom or entertainment system any better than what the Starcom1 does.

I have heard that people have had more issues with the Starcom1 Digital (still not bluetooth) and I agree that there customer support is pretty weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no problem with my Starcom Digital, it worked fine for the 6 years I had it mounted. I had issues with the headset that they use. I went through 5 of them, the last one lasting only a month, and crapped out on day 1 of a 2 week ride. The wire keeps breaking between the plug and the helmet. I made extra effort to keep from over flexing it - to no avail. Just where do you get a replacement unit on the road for an internet only mail order part. That is what forced me to look at the wireless Bluetooth units, first with the $tarcom Bluetooth dongle on the system, which only streamed mono sound, then the Sena caught my eye. In the end I gave away my Starcom system; at least with the Sena I can get replacements most anywhere there is a bike shop.

Enjoy your wired system Fred, I know it has excellent sound quality, just make sure you carry a back up headset before you set out for any distance. Hopefully it won't burst into flames like certain BMW final drive units.

tomato.gif

Brodie

taunt.gif

Starcom is/was wired, not bluetooth.

I have heard that people have had more issues with the Starcom1 Digital (still not bluetooth) and I agree that there customer support is pretty weak.
Yeah, I know. even wired it wouldn't work with my phone!

I don't say someone shouldn't buy a product. I can only say it didn't work for me and was an expensive source of frustration.

Helmet locks. A thief only needs a knife to steal. Not hanging my shoei there.
Yea, but that's a pointless theft, because the helmet is useless after the strap is cut off. Not that some thieves will think that through and all, but I've never had one cut off of any bike I've hung mine on.

Helmet locks. A thief only needs a knife to steal. Not hanging my shoei there.
Yea, but that's a pointless theft, because the helmet is useless after the strap is cut off. Not that some thieves will think that through and all, but I've never had one cut off of any bike I've hung mine on.
Some people will do it just because they're angry they can't steal it, so they'll trash it. I knew someone like that once, many, many years ago. He was someone's "project" and while a friendly sort, quite happy-go-lucky, he was always in trouble and a thief in and out of jail. He even said if he wanted to steal a bike (bicycle) and it was too well chained he'd trash it to junk because the owner made it impossible to steal. That's just the mentality of thieves.

Web straps to replace cut helmet straps can be sewn together by any shoe repair shop. But if you carry the helmet inside every time you leave the bike, I suppose they can just steal the bike. Of course, they wouldn't have a helmet, so at least here in California, they'd probably get a ticket! Ha.

There were two things that I had to have but gave up quickly with no regrets.

One was a blue tooth helmet communication system.

The other was a remote readout unit for my Valentine One radar detector.

I guess I have not farkled my FJRs seriously. I like the bike the way it is, although I wish that it had TPM.

On the Rocket III Tourings, of which I've had three, I bought nearly every accessory that Triumph had to offer for the first one.

And nearly all of them are still sitting in their original packaging on the shelf in my shop. I know why I bought them ... it was just the kid in the candy store effect. I know why I haven't used most of them ... too much candy makes kids sick.

The Russel Day Long seat. It was made for the previous owner, didn't fit me and reminded me of an antique tractor seat. I have made one 850 mile day on the factory seat, it works.

Throttlemeister: The only time it I used it was to hold the throttle open while I installed the Audiovox cruise. They do serve as a decent bar end weight.

Dyna-beads (are these a farkle?): As long as you don't exceed 70 mph, you're ok. What a waste of a day that was.

Aerostich Darien. Years ago (late 90s), wondering if all the hype I'd read in the motorcycle mags was true, I ordered one. Paid about double what my First Gear suit cost and waited months for it. When it finally arrived, the fit was way off and the waterproofing was nonexistent compared to the FG. At that point, I'd bought and worn textile gear from four or five different manufacturers, but none were as uncomfortable to wear as that Darien, like trying to ride sandwiched between two pieces of plywood, it was so stiff. Ended up sending it back for a refund and stuck with my FG suit.

The Russel Day Long seat. It was made for the previous owner, didn't fit me and reminded me of an antique tractor seat. I have made one 850 mile day on the factory seat, it works.
Did you ride 850 miles on the stocker the next day?

I can do one all day ride on the stock seat if it's colder and I have lots of layers on, butt the next day, not so much...on a multi-day trip, that doesn't work so well.

I am riding on the stock seat right now...but have the seat sent in for aftermarket work. My wife loved her Russell on my first FJR, after complaining about the cost initially. Now she wants to make sure her seat is done this time around as well!

Did you ride 850 miles on the stocker the next day?

I can do one all day ride on the stock seat if it's colder and I have lots of layers on, butt the next day, not so much...on a multi-day trip, that doesn't work so well.

I am riding on the stock seat right now...but have the seat sent in for aftermarket work. My wife loved her Russell on my first FJR, after complaining about the cost initially. Now she wants to make sure her seat is done this time around as well!
Not 850 but yeah, I've done multiple 500+ consecutive days on the stock seat in the summer. I'm good with it.