MotoGP @ Laguna Seca

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Daly

YES I ran the fatty over!!
Reaction score
I am going to be in SF July 21-26 for a meeting and to my most fortunate surprize the Laguna Seca races are between the 18th and the 20th. How cool is that?

I dont know but I was wondering if anyone in the general area is planning on going and might be willing to chaperone... well hang out, maybe drink some beers and watch the races??

also would be interested in advice on time to buy tickets and whatever else I need to know about the madhouse.

-k

PS pricing:

Friday General Admission (Grandstand Seats Open For Friday Only) $25

Saturday General Admission (Does Not Include Grandstand Seat) $40

MotoGP RACE DAY - Sunday General Admission (Does Not Include Grandstand Seat) $55

2-Day (Sat/Sun) General Admission (Does Not Include Grandstand Seat) $80

3-Day (Fri/Sat/Sun) General Admission (Does Not Include Grandstand Seat) $90

-I take it that its general admissions only

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of us left coasters will be in route to NAFO. It was on my to-do list this year but I've yet to figure out how to be in two places at once. :blink:

Have fun and umbrella girl pics are always welcome! ;)

I will be there once again. Our group will be hanging out in the Flagroom.

You buy admission to the facility. If you want an actual seat in a grandstand, then that's extra. Otherwise, you find a place to park yourself on the hills overlooking the track.

The flow in and out of the track has gotten much better. No problems for us last year, but we all had bikes and with Flagroom we get dedicated parking. Motorcycles are the only vehicles (except for some vips and paddock suite guests) that have on-site parking. If you're driving a car, you park off site and take a shuttle bus.

If the weather is warm, bring your own water or electrolyte enhanced drink. A Camel-Bak or similar outfit is great. Purchasing water on site can get expensive. Food is spendy and not really all that good from the vendors. Think your average carnival fare. (This is where having tix for Flagroom, Laguna Club, etc are great because you get catered breakfast and lunch -- and all the beverages you can pee -- for Saturday and Sunday!. Oh, and real bathrooms!)

The hill by the corkscrew is of course one of the most popular spots to watch and that area gets crowded quickly.

I will be there once again. Our group will be hanging out in the Flagroom.
You buy admission to the facility. If you want an actual seat in a grandstand, then that's extra. Otherwise, you find a place to park yourself on the hills overlooking the track.

The flow in and out of the track has gotten much better. No problems for us last year, but we all had bikes and with Flagroom we get dedicated parking. Motorcycles are the only vehicles (except for some vips and paddock suite guests) that have on-site parking. If you're driving a car, you park off site and take a shuttle bus.

If the weather is warm, bring your own water or electrolyte enhanced drink. A Camel-Bak or similar outfit is great. Purchasing water on site can get expensive. Food is spendy and not really all that good from the vendors. Think your average carnival fare. (This is where having tix for Flagroom, Laguna Club, etc are great because you get catered breakfast and lunch -- and all the beverages you can pee -- for Saturday and Sunday!. Oh, and real bathrooms!)

The hill by the corkscrew is of course one of the most popular spots to watch and that area gets crowded quickly.
Ok so what is this "flag room" and how many pounds of flesh do I have to part with to hang with the cool peeps? Of course you and I wont have bikes unless we rent. Also will be in SF for the conference but for the GP I might get a room closer and then migrate on sunday. I am looking to have a good time I dont want to be fighting crowds to take a piss.

-k

Via PM from James Burleigh

Hi, Kevin. Yeah, I was lookin' and thinking about responding because I've been, I think, three times. No, I'm not planning on going. Not sure if that's the NAFO weekend, but I wasn't going to go anyway, because having experienced it, I now believe I see the race better on TV. Let me give you a brain dump on my thoughts about YOUR going, or anyone going the first time:

• Do it. It's Laguna Seca for crying out loud.
  • Don't plan to see much of the race, except one corner, or know what's going on moment to moment.
  • Plan for it to be freakin' hot! Couple years ago it was about 110 and insufferable.
  • The crowds are HUGE, but there's plenty to see and experience.
  • Record the race at home so you can actually see what happened.
  • Never been in the grand stand section. Did the Red Bull VIP once--we watched it on the TV in the air-conditioned room.
  • Bikes can ride to the venue and park, but cars have to park off site and be shuttled in.
  • If you rent a bike, plan on lane sharing on your way to and from the venue. If you drive, prepare to be patient.
  • Bring sun screen, a floppy hat, and plenty of water.
  • Get there early.

Kevin;

+1 your PM from JB.

I haven't been to an AMA race at Laguna Seca yet but I've been to the track a few times for FIM Races. My last time there was 1993 when they ran F1 bikes and Wayne Rainey was king. Unfortunately Wayne crashed in Italy the week prior to my last race there and his career was over and I missed seeing him win it twice in a row.

Great venue, excellent techinical track, worth every penny. And all the bikes and wild life off the track is something to experience.

Enjoy!

+1 and gunny on JB

I'll be in the turn 2 stands for the main event- and roaming for the 125, maybe the corkscrew. After last weekends Jerez 250, I may hit the TV somewhere for the 250. Those guys are NUTS! Reminds me of Pedrosa vs. Hayden in '06.

Via PM from James Burleigh
Hi, Kevin. Yeah, I was lookin' and thinking about responding because I've been, I think, three times. No, I'm not planning on going. Not sure if that's the NAFO weekend, but I wasn't going to go anyway, because having experienced it, I now believe I see the race better on TV. Let me give you a brain dump on my thoughts about YOUR going, or anyone going the first time:

• Don't plan to see much of the race, except one corner, or know what's going on moment to moment.
  • Plan for it to be freakin' hot! Couple years ago it was about 110 and insufferable.
  • Never been in the grand stand section. Did the Red Bull VIP once--we watched it on the TV in the air-conditioned room.
  • Bikes can ride to the venue and park, but cars have to park off site and be shuttled in.
  • If you rent a bike, plan on lane sharing on your way to and from the venue. If you drive, prepare to be patient.
  • Get there early.

Interesting. No more cars allowed inside? As recently as 2005 [last time I was there] cars were still being let in and it made for a gargantuan clusterfuck. Mostly for the cars trying to get in.

Book a hotel now, and January would have been better.

+1 and gunny on JBI'll be in the turn 2 stands for the main event- and roaming for the 125, maybe the corkscrew. After last weekends Jerez 250, I may hit the TV somewhere for the 250. Those guys are NUTS! Reminds me of Pedrosa vs. Hayden in '06.
Maybe we should start planning anFJR get together for those whom plan to go?? :rolleyes:

• Get there early.
Year before last was hot. Um, HELLO, you're in California people! Yes, water was expensive but you could also get it for free from the medical people. Also, alcohol only makes thing worse. Look, bring a hat and some sunscreen and the CamelBak and you'll be fine regardless of the temp. Last year the weather was perfect! There were some guys in line for food two years ago bitching about having to pay for water, the price of food, the heat etc. Finally had enough of their whining and had to turn around and tell 'em if they hated it so much, they should just leave.

We rode in and out on motorcycles all three days last year. No traffic. No lane sharing needed. Mc's have their own in/out route. We stayed in Seaside so it was close.

You can see more than one corner depending on where you plant. For grandstand seating, turn 4 is excellent. You can see turn 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. And the jumbotron is directly across so you can see the vid feed. Also, the straight right after turn 4 is where they do practice starts. If you go up the hill behind 4 a bit, you can see down below the corkscrew as well. The hill above turn 2 also has a big vista overlooking the whole track except turn 6 through the corkscrew. Was in front straight grandstand last year (with Laguna Club tix) and it wasn't near as good as turn 4. However, you did get to see the pits, huge jumbotron, and the podium.

To answer you question, "Flag Room" is a separate area along the straight between turns 4 and 5. There are tables and umbrellas, private bathrooms, beverages, and two meals for Sat and Sun. It also includes turn 4 grandstand seats, but we just stayed in Flag Room the whole time (gave our gs tix away). Comes with paddock pass and dedicated nearby parking. Expensive, but worth it as far as I'm concerned especially if you add up the food and drink. And it provides kind of a 'refuge' from everything.

You can avoid a huge part of the crowd if you stay away from the vendor tents.

I am going to be in SF July 21-26 for a meeting and to my most fortunate surprize the Laguna Seca races are between the 18th and the 20th. How cool is that?
I dont know but I was wondering if anyone in the general area is planning on going and might be willing to chaperone... well hang out, maybe drink some beers and watch the races??

also would be interested in advice on time to buy tickets and whatever else I need to know about the madhouse.

-k

PS pricing:

Friday General Admission (Grandstand Seats Open For Friday Only) $25

Saturday General Admission (Does Not Include Grandstand Seat) $40

MotoGP RACE DAY - Sunday General Admission (Does Not Include Grandstand Seat) $55

2-Day (Sat/Sun) General Admission (Does Not Include Grandstand Seat) $80

3-Day (Fri/Sat/Sun) General Admission (Does Not Include Grandstand Seat) $90

-I take it that its general admissions only
Kev,

Looks like grandstand tix are available here for Turns 4 and 11 if you want a seat.

I went two years ago and had a blast, but the heat was definitely trying. I think by Saturday they had greatly reduced the price of water.

I rode the shuttle in from Fort Ord?. The que after the race to get back to the Fort was nightmarish.

Definitely ride a motorcycle in and out of there.

Go have some fun. It will be a blast.

:clapping:

Kev,
Looks like grandstand tix are available here for Turns 4 and 11 if you want a seat.

I went two years ago and had a blast, but the heat was definitely trying. I think by Saturday they had greatly reduced the price of water.

I rode the shuttle in from Fort Ord?. The que after the race to get back to the Fort was nightmarish.

Definitely ride a motorcycle in and out of there.

Go have some fun. It will be a blast.

:clapping:
Would loce to take a bike but that is going to cost a couple hundred dollars in rental fees (and it wont be a feejer) just to get a good parking spot.

I would love to go to the paddocs though, probably more than actually watching the race

so how much is the flag room?
$350.

But it's sold out. Looks like the only hospitality package left is for Seca Club. Basically the same thing as Flag Room, just in a different place. Flagroom usually sells out the day tix go on sale. You'll be able to find 'em on line I s'pose but you'll pay through the arse for them.

Keep in mind the Paddock Pass does NOT get you in to the garages. You can get to all the AMA stuff though.

FWIW, I don't think I'd go if not on an mc or camping. First year I went, we camped at Torrey Park since we drove down. That was great since they had motorcoach buses that took you to the track and dumped you right at turn 5. Nice.