MotorCyclist Customizes a '13

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfish Hunter

Gone Fishing
Reaction score
Did anyone read the December issue of MotorCyclist? Pages 50-56 has what is a surprisingly decent article covering their efforts to "improve" the '13 FJR. They talked more about the suspension than anything else but their efforts were pretty much in line with what we do. Actually pretty good stuff for the most part. Some decent pics too, especially the one on page 56.

For those of us that may not see our December issue for weeks, could you summarize what they did to the suspension and their conclusions?

For those of us that don't subscribe to MotorCyclist, could you post a link, or do something more than just write up a teaser, like a stupid movie trailer? Just 'cuz you're FJR jealous right now doesn't mean you have to be so hateful!

Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges in the forks and Penske 8983 remote reservoir rear shock. VStream windscreen and Sargent World Sport heated seat.

They loved the bike after the upgrades.

One of the writers took it on a long tour after and even though "sport touring" is not his thing, he said it was a sweet machine for long distance touring.

His quote: " IN the past, I've always felt the FJR was too much tourer and not enough sport. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but this latest edition, made even better with a few mods, might just be the perfect combination. It got the job done for me - twice".

There is now a stampede of ST-1300 owners heading to the nearest Yamaha dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A pretty good article about the fjr, as usual a little bit said about "only" a 5 speed. Personally I have had no problem with 5 gears, works well in my opinion. I don't feel its too "buzzy" and there is more than enough top end (150 is plenty fast, speed limit is 75).

Nope. ST owners don't want more "sport".
Uh, I do.

Sorry guys, I honestly thought that we all got our magazines at about the same time. I actually waited 3 days to post anything about it figuring there would be a thread already. You guys know I HATE duplicate threads.

They went into great detail about the Traxxion suspension mods and the Penske shock. They said that it increased cornering clearance, improved ride quality, made the waitress prettier... Wait, I got off topic there. They touched on the accursed 80 mph cruise control limit. They raved about the heated Sargent seat.

I was amused that ex-editor Catterson was able to ride two 1000+ mile days in less than a week! I bet Ignacio would be impressed with such LD riding... I would think that Catterson might have heard something about the IBR somewhere, but maybe not.

Nope. ST owners don't want more "sport".
If you want more "touring" get a Goldwing.

Personally I have had no problem with 5 gears, works well in my opinion. I don't feel its too "buzzy" and there is more than enough top end (150 is plenty fast, speed limit is 75).
Agreed!

Would I complain if it had a 6th gear? No. But do I feel like it doesn't work well with only 5 gears? No. I get 42-45 mpg riding all day long in the mountains and running 80-85 mph interstate. In a way it's actually nice to be 500-750 rpm higher running in 5th gear so you don't have to down shift to pass like you prob would if you were in 6th gear. It is what it is.

A pretty good article about the fjr, as usual a little bit said about "only" a 5 speed. Personally I have had no problem with 5 gears, works well in my opinion. I don't feel its too "buzzy" and there is more than enough top end (150 is plenty fast, speed limit is 75).
For the record, I'm perfectly happy with the gearing as is. But .... an overdrive is not about top speed. It's about reducing the rpm in top gear. If the bike will pull the same rpm in the higher gear, then you'll go faster, but it often won't.

But .... an overdrive is not about top speed. It's about reducing the rpm in top gear.
Yes we all know that. That is not RaiderBills point. He is just simply saying it runs fine in 5th gear anywhere from Interstate speed up to the max speed. The only reason why the 6th gear thing comes up is because our prime competitor the C14 has it. We'd all be fine if it had a 6th gear but alas it does not.

I get the magazine, but do not always feel compelled to crack it open and read it cover to cover when it arrives. ;)

I'll take a look at it tonight, but if Catterson wrote the article I am fully prepared to be underwhelmed.

But .... an overdrive is not about top speed. It's about reducing the rpm in top gear.
Yes we all know that. That is not RaiderBills point. He is just simply saying it runs fine in 5th gear anywhere from Interstate speed up to the max speed. The only reason why the 6th gear thing comes up is because our prime competitor the C14 has it. We'd all be fine if it had a 6th gear but alas it does not.
I for one am glad it does not.

Maybe I misunderstood his intent when he said " there is more than enough top end....." ;)

I for one am glad it does not.
Wouldn't bother me. I ride my wife's little Ninja 650R and that damn thing has 6 gears. We all get used to whatever we ride.

Maybe I misunderstood his intent when he said " there is more than enough top end....."
wink.png
No worries.
smile.png
....maybe I'm the one misunderstanding his point. lol

The FJR gets as good or better gas mileage with five gears than most other ( liter- plus ) bikes that have a six speed gearbox....
stinker.gif

The FJR gets as good or better gas mileage with five gears than most other ( liter- plus ) bikes that have a six speed gearbox....
stinker.gif
I average about 45 except when I rode with those dingbats at Hooterville ;)

I like the top-gear roll-on. I know it's only because the top gear is a little lower, but it's impressive nonetheless.

Don't attack me! At 55 mph indicated my ST1300 and Dad's '07 FJR turn exactly the same RPMs, both have 5 speed gear boxes. The ST1300 tops out at about 144 mph (actual, not indicated). I would say that the ST1300 and the FJR are geared almost identically. My point is that the ST1300 is arguably the more "Touring" of the two and it makes do just fine with a 5 speed.

A BMW riding friend of mine who rode my bike said, "At first I thought it was stupid that it did not have a 6th gear. Then I realized it only needs one gear! You can take off in 3rd and stay there all day!"

I said, "God help you if you ever ride an FJR. You will sell that RT."