Multistrada 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It did mention 15k mile maintenance intervals but my buddy's 07 monster went in for its 15k and he supplied the parts and it still cost him almost $1000. and nothing was broken, this was all labor for the 15k. I don't know how anyone can own one of these. My buddy can do mechanicals but said that for a couple of the items (belt replacement) you need special expensive tools. This is definitely a bike for the rich.

Your buddy got raped.

What his expensive Ducati mechanic told him isn't true. There are alternate procedures for setting the belt tension without the expensive Ducati belt tool using Allen wrenches as gauges for the belt deflection.

You can definitely do the work yourself (I did on Monster 750) and the parts aren't all that expensive. It was less than $100 altogether as I recall and took me (inexperienced in desmodromics) only a couple of hours altogether, including checking the valve clearances and replacing the belts.

Advantage of the Monster is the lack of bodywork.

If the price weren't so high, and I didn't have a paid for FJR in my garage, I'd be seriously considering the new 'strada.

Your buddy got raped.
What his expensive Ducati mechanic told him isn't true. There are alternate procedures for setting the belt tension without the expensive Ducati belt tool using Allen wrenches as gauges for the belt deflection.

You can definitely do the work yourself (I did on Monster 750) and the parts aren't all that expensive. It was less than $100 altogether as I recall and took me (inexperienced in desmodromics) only a couple of hours altogether, including checking the valve clearances and replacing the belts.

Advantage of the Monster is the lack of bodywork.
+1 to wut he said!!!

Belts are fairly quick and easy. With the exception of getting my big fingers around the frame for the rear rockers, the other great thing about working on Ducks is that they are fairly easy to get to the essentials and 2-cylinder simple.

The legends come from lingering myths, overpriced stealerships, and the bad old bevel drive days when pot-metal & babbit bearings were in use.

Although rubber toothed belts are a virtuous design for driving camshafts: quiet, smooth, efficient, and inexpensive; the concept has met with less than favorable acceptance among American motorists.

Car drivers have, essentially, voted with their pocket-books and have shunned auto engines with rubber cam-belts (that need periodic replacement). Owners just don't want to be saddled with any periodic replacement (if they can get out of doing it...) -- so that it's now a two-decade-old design. Manufacturers have had to retro-engineer chain driven camshafts to satisfy consumer demand.

It's probably the glaring Achilles Heel of Ducati design? When one considers how small the camshaft (and, especially, the crankshaft) sprockets are -- little wonder the belts don't last.... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
been talked about quite a bit on the forum here

I agree that it is a groovy bike ......but the price and maintenance intervals are a bit much for me

sure looks like fun though:

2010DucatiMultistrada1200_Dirt.jpg

I work as a salesman at a multi-brand motorcycle dealership in Rhode Island, which is the only way it's financially feasible for me to order a new Multistrada 1200S Touring. There's a great employee purchase program through Ducati, actually they're the only brand we carry that has one. I'll let you all know the reality of living with the bike - should be delivered first week of May.

I work as a salesman at a multi-brand motorcycle dealership in Rhode Island, which is the only way it's financially feasible for me to order a new Multistrada 1200S Touring. There's a great employee purchase program through Ducati, actually they're the only brand we carry that has one. I'll let you all know the reality of living with the bike - should be delivered first week of May.
Stagecoach,

Good,it will be interesting. I used to sell ducatis too. Most people I know who own them,love 'em. None of my friends who have Duc's haven't had any major problems over all. Ducati folks were the most knowledgeable buyers and the hardest to sell a bike to.

Stagecoach,

Good,it will be interesting. I used to sell ducatis too. Most people I know who own them,love 'em. None of my friends who have Duc's haven't had any major problems over all. Ducati folks were the most knowledgeable buyers and the hardest to sell a bike to.
So scubatech, are you coming right out and saying that our Niehart is a Crabby Old Fart? Not that you would be wrong about that, of course! I went to the Ducati of Scottsdale Multistrada 1200S unveiling last Thursday, I absolutely love this new Ducati. I also am very interested in seeing the ongoing reports from Stagecoach.

https://www.examiner.com/x-25726-Phoenix-Wh...-AZ-Motorcycles A huge turnout for the new Ducati. Mostly Certifiable Old Farts, like tu Papa Chuy and Uncle Dave!

None of my friends who have Duc's haven't had any major problems over all.
Does that mean that they all had major problems or they haven't had major problems? :unsure:

I owned a 2000 750 Monster. Loved the bike. It's only problem was I am not of Italianesque stature, so it wasn't quite big enough for me to ride comfortably.

It's only problem was I am not of Italianesque stature, so it wasn't quite big enough for me to ride comfortably.
This wop is 6'2" and 260lbs. What is the Italianesque stature?
Fred W: Mama Mia, are these damn dagos ever touchy, or what? johnny80s, I think Fred means more in line of the body type of Marcelo Doffo, not his cousin Guido!

Fred, Ducati rep encouraged us to sit on the bike, both on its race stand and off its side stand, and it fit me perfectly. You've seen my picture many times in my Ride Reports and others Reports before. And as you know, I've the body of a Greek God. Well actually, to be precise, I've the BODY OF A GOD DAMN GREEK! New Ducati Multistrada 1200 fit Papa "El Gordo" Chuy like a glove! I'm 6'1" and outweigh johnny80s by 15 lbs.; bike still fit me just fine! Niehart says they are so "slimming"!!!

Stagecoach,

So scubatech, are you coming right out and saying that our Niehart is a Crabby Old Fart? Not that you would be wrong about that, of course! I went to the Ducati of Scottsdale Multistrada 1200S unveiling last Thursday, I absolutely love this new Ducati. I also am very interested in seeing the ongoing reports from Stagecoach.

https://www.examiner.com/x-25726-Phoenix-Wh...-AZ-Motorcycles A huge turnout for the new Ducati. Mostly Certifiable Old Farts, like tu Papa Chuy and Uncle Dave!
Don,

Nah! I don't know him or maybe I would. I think Duc' are percieved much like BMW's,to be so problematic and high maintenance that they are broken down all the time. The internet can do that to a bike. I ask every customer that comes in the dive shop on those brands about the reliability of their bike and I get very little negative response. Most have little or no trouble at all. The KTM guys over on the Orange Crush forum bitch all the time,but wouldn't have any thing else. Go figure. I don't thing these brands would sell if they were that bad! The Muti is gorgeous though!!

Ken.

None of my friends who have Duc's haven't had any major problems over all.
Does that mean that they all had major problems or they haven't had major problems? :unsure:

I owned a 2000 750 Monster. Loved the bike. It's only problem was I am not of Italianesque stature, so it wasn't quite big enough for me to ride comfortably.

Fred,

Very few problems in general. The owners don't complain about the maintenace either. I guess they figure it is part of ownership. I would get that video on the valve adjustment for the Desmo' if I owned one. Also NEVER lose the" red key",if that's still in use!

The 996-998 were torture to ride very far for my old knees. Sureley for a bike like the Multi' they will improve the ergos!!

I used to love to fire one up in the parking lot with a set of Termi's on it,talk about necks snapping around. Cool stuff.

Stagecoach,

Don,

Nah! I don't know him or maybe I would. I think Duc' are percieved much like BMW's,to be so problematic and high maintenance that they are broken down all the time. The internet can do that to a bike. I ask every customer that comes in the dive shop on those brands about the reliability of their bike and I get very little negative response. Most have little or no trouble at all. The KTM guys over on the Orange Crush forum bitch all the time,but wouldn't have any thing else. Go figure. I don't thing these brands would sell if they were that bad! The Muti is gorgeous though!!

Ken.
Howdy Ken, If you think back to WFO-08, you'll remember old Niehart. He was the distinguished looking gentleman that led day rides all three days. Maybe the Specific Northwet Goons will post up a picture of Niehart, I see RenoJohn is looking at this; RJ, do you have a decent photo of Mr. Dave "Niehart" Black to put up here.

Fred,
Very few problems in general. The owners don't complain about the maintenace either. I guess they figure it is part of ownership. I would get that video on the valve adjustment for the Desmo' if I owned one. Also NEVER lose the" red key",if that's still in use!

The 996-998 were torture to ride very far for my old knees. Sureley for a bike like the Multi' they will improve the ergos!!

I used to love to fire one up in the parking lot with a set of Termi's on it,talk about necks snapping around. Cool stuff.
That's what I thought you meant. I never had any problems with my old 2-valve desmo, and did all the maintenance myself.

I had a set of Termi high mounts on my seven-fiddy monster. Even the sound of that lil' thing turned heads. <sigh>

2888465130098858932S500x500Q85.jpg