Multistrada 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said it once, and I'll say it again here:

I finally got over it. I was jonesing for one bad this last week. I was seriously thinking of the finances and what it would take to put on in the garage. If someone would have offered to make me a deal this last weekend, I probably would have done something stupid. PJ's Triumph has a white one still looking for an owner. They are NOT flying off the show room floor.

I was getting overloaded with them and had not heard much negative about them. There was one on the cover of my Rider Magazine and the write up is pretty good, both FJR forums are talking about them, and the write ups are everywhere. However...decreased luggage capacity, especially on the right side because the engineers at Ducati and BMW are too stupid to design the exaust to not interfere with the bags. Decreased distance due to a smaller tank, and premium fuel...No thanks. That crappy little windshield and those bars that would spread my short arms out like a bird would make riding any type of distance a chore. Chain drive and the maintenance that comes with it. 15k valve intervals don't help the case either; especially with a 20k price tag. The all digital speed and tach display looks like shit too. As others have said, I wonder what 4 years of riding conditions will do to all those electronics.

All in all, its a cool bike to lust over, but I think I would only buy one if I had lots of extra cash just laying around. I bet an FZ1 would give much more bang for the buck, and with the money savings, a person could just go buy a DR650 or a KLR...

Whew...I feel much better and remembered why I love my FJR so much.

Haha.....

I said it once, and I'll say it again here:
I finally got over it. I was jonesing for one bad this last week. I was seriously thinking of the finances and what it would take to put on in the garage. If someone would have offered to make me a deal this last weekend, I probably would have done something stupid. PJ's Triumph has a white one still looking for an owner. They are NOT flying off the show room floor.

I was getting overloaded with them and had not heard much negative about them. There was one on the cover of my Rider Magazine and the write up is pretty good, both FJR forums are talking about them, and the write ups are everywhere. However...decreased luggage capacity, especially on the right side because the engineers at Ducati and BMW are too stupid to design the exaust to not interfere with the bags. Decreased distance due to a smaller tank, and premium fuel...No thanks. That crappy little windshield and those bars that would spread my short arms out like a bird would make riding any type of distance a chore. Chain drive and the maintenance that comes with it. 15k valve intervals don't help the case either; especially with a 20k price tag. The all digital speed and tach display looks like shit too. As others have said, I wonder what 4 years of riding conditions will do to all those electronics.

All in all, its a cool bike to lust over, but I think I would only buy one if I had lots of extra cash just laying around. I bet an FZ1 would give much more bang for the buck, and with the money savings, a person could just go buy a DR650 or a KLR...

Whew...I feel much better and remembered why I love my FJR so much.

Haha.....
Well, mi bueno Amigo AJ: My white Multistrada 1200 S Touring Model, with topcase, ordered from Ducati of Scottsdale arrives in December and very first thing tu Papa Chuy is going to do is ride over to Albuquerque and burn out donuts in your yard with it. Then I'm going to ride straight to tu Hermano Alex's casa en Rio Roja and spin brodies in his back yard too! I'll look Fantastico in Ducati Spandex!

Do you know the amount of hot chicks Niehart and FJRBluesman score by riding Ducati? It boggles the imagination! I've had Ducati on my bucket list for a lifetime and the time is now, before I croak!

Last edited by a moderator:
My white Multistrada 1200 S Touring Model, with topcase, ordered from Ducati of Scottsdale arrives in December
December, like in SIX MONTHS? Geeez! I'm hoping to find some used ones in a couple years when the FJR is worn out ... there might still be people on the waiting list!

They are NOT flying off the show room floor....As others have said, I wonder what 4 years of riding conditions will do to all those electronics...
If they are on the showroom floor, they're dealer demo bikes. The Ducati factory guys were very clear that they had no bikes to sell unless a person wanted to wait a minimum of 3 months. (Barring cancellations with lost deposits, etc)

As for the electronics, Ducati & MotoMorrelli went Japanese long ago. It'll be about as reliable as a 2006 FJR is today.

My white Multistrada 1200 S Touring Model, with topcase, ordered from Ducati of Scottsdale arrives in December...I'll look Fantastico in Ducati Spandex!
Don - Congrats on the bike. The white is by far my personal favorite. There's a thread on ADVRider Roadwarrior list about the MTS12 with people's actual experiences, if you haven't found it already. Plus, of course the Ducati site.

Couldn't ya have quit while it was all good, before throwing the turd in the punchbowl? A mental picture of you in spandex?

:eek:

Oh - my eyes -gouge them out, pullease!!!

They are NOT flying off the show room floor....As others have said, I wonder what 4 years of riding conditions will do to all those electronics...
If they are on the showroom floor, they're dealer demo bikes. The Ducati factory guys were very clear that they had no bikes to sell unless a person wanted to wait a minimum of 3 months. (Barring cancellations with lost deposits, etc)

As for the electronics, Ducati & MotoMorrelli went Japanese long ago. It'll be about as reliable as a 2006 FJR is today.

My white Multistrada 1200 S Touring Model, with topcase, ordered from Ducati of Scottsdale arrives in December...I'll look Fantastico in Ducati Spandex!
Don - Congrats on the bike. The white is by far my personal favorite. There's a thread on ADVRider Roadwarrior list about the MTS12 with people's actual experiences, if you haven't found it already. Plus, of course the Ducati site.

Couldn't ya have quit while it was all good, before throwing the turd in the punchbowl? A mental picture of you in spandex?

:eek:

Oh - my eyes -gouge them out, pullease!!!
checkswrecks and Aasland: There is really a frenzy for the MTS12 here in Phoenix right now! If I had wanted a traditional Ducati red one, I would not have received it until March of 2011. It's Just Wild!

I think a large part of that is due to a very active Ducati Club here in Central Arizona: AZ DUCS; they're always having day rides, overnighters, dinner and breakfast rides. Look forward to joining up with them. What's personally sad to me is that Ingrid - my 2005 BMW R1150RT and Pam Anderson - my 2002 Harley-Davidson FXD will have to be sold to make way for Sophia Loren, my new MTS12!

Well, shit...I forgot to say that if I was old, retired, rich and good looking like Don, I would spring for one too. Haha...Congrats man! Next time I visit Phoenix, you know which one I will want to ride right?

Well, shit...I forgot to say that if I was old, retired, rich and good looking like Don, I would spring for one too. Haha...Congrats man! Next time I visit Phoenix, you know which one I will want to ride right?
AJ, you forgot to add "hung like a horse" to your adjectives above! You bet, next time you visit (after mid-December), you are more than welcome to take my new MTS 1200 out for a ride with Papa Chuy on his FJR. With your M/C riding skills you're highly trusted to ride my new Ducati. Now, as far as my illegitimate bastard Hijo (Son) SkooterG (muy peligro!) goes: No more "Flipper" for 6 months!

Just like you were not going to be able to touch a K1200GT or an F800GS without 'waiting months' according to my BMW dealer, this frenzy too shall pass.

By Xmas there's going to be good used examples, all farkled up, for sale from guys that got 'em at a premium and then didn't like 'em.

That's when I'll swoop in :D

Took delivery of mine on Saturday. Imagine the FJR with ~150 lbs less, more hp, hardbags, and electronically adjustable Ohlins, traction control, ABS, slipper clutch, etc, etc...
Granted, I owned an FJR for 7 years and it's a great bike. But wow....Yes, it's a fun bike. :yahoo:

Someone above is right, they will sell every one of these. Good luck getting one this year if your name isn't on someones list. The dealership in Seattle got their first allotment. Every one of them were sitting in the garage with Sold signs on them. Never made it to the showroom.

img1002v.jpg
Got an update for us? How is the new bike treating you?

Just in case any New Englanders are looking for a Multistrada, Razee Motorcycle in Rhode Island has a few up for dibs arriving in the next month:

A black S Touring model

A white ABS model

A red base model

All of the others are spoken for (including my black S Touring which shows up this week ;-)

Fred,
Very few problems in general. The owners don't complain about the maintenace either. I guess they figure it is part of ownership. I would get that video on the valve adjustment for the Desmo' if I owned one. Also NEVER lose the" red key",if that's still in use!

The 996-998 were torture to ride very far for my old knees. Sureley for a bike like the Multi' they will improve the ergos!!

I used to love to fire one up in the parking lot with a set of Termi's on it,talk about necks snapping around. Cool stuff.
That's what I thought you meant. I never had any problems with my old 2-valve desmo, and did all the maintenance myself.

I had a set of Termi high mounts on my seven-fiddy monster. Even the sound of that lil' thing turned heads. <sigh>

2888465130098858932S500x500Q85.jpg
Hey Fred! Is that one of those magazine beauty shots where they Photoshop the side stand out of the picture or are you good at balancing bikes?

Hey Fred! Is that one of those magazine beauty shots where they Photoshop the side stand out of the picture or are you good at balancing bikes?
Close... My monster had one of those side stands that positions the bike at a pretty big angle from vertical. If you look real closely under the header pipe you'll catch a glimpse of the chunk of 2x4 I was using under the side stand to make it stand up straighter. ;)

Magic never seems quite as special after the magician reveals the trick... {sigh}